The 3 VPNs Reddit Users LOVE in 2019 (Upvoted Best VPNs)
I spent hours researching Reddit to find the VPNs that Reddit users love. I read dozens of real reviews – and hundreds of fake ones – and dug through pages on security, streaming, torrenting, and more to discover everything Redditors think about VPNs. You can read their full reviews below.
Quick Guide: Reddit’s Favorite VPNs
- NordVPN: A favorite for high-speed streaming, NordVPN can bypass any geoblock.
- ProtonVPN: Secure Core servers and budget-friendly plans make ProtonVPN a popular choice for security-conscious users.
- Mullvad: This service takes privacy to another level with anonymous accounts and the ability to pay with cash.
Free VPNs – Are Reddit Users Upvoting or Downvoting Free VPNs?
Reddit users often argue over differences of opinion, but the one thing they agree on is that free VPNs are not safe to use.
There’s no such thing as ‘completely free.’ It is expensive to run a VPN, and providers need to cover their costs. Most free VPN services aren’t honest about how they make their money, and it’s usually at the expense of their users’ security.
Free VPN services make money by:
- Displaying ads and annoying pop-ups.
- Selling your personal information to third parties.
- Using your data for marketing and advertising.
- Using your device as an exit node for its paid subscribers.
If you only need a VPN for a short period or you want to try the service before you commit, Reddit users recommend using a premium VPN’s free trial period. That way, you can try the service for free without compromising your security.
The Best VPNs According to Reddit Users
Best for streaming and bypassing geoblocks
- 30-day money-back guarantee
- Smart Select feature bypass geoblocks automatically
- 5,300+ servers in 61 countries
NordVPN is Reddit’s top choice, and it’s easy to see why.
It keeps a strict no-logs policy, so you know your data can’t be leaked or sold. It uses 256-bit encryption to protect you from hackers and spies, and all its apps feature an automatic kill switch.
With high-speed servers in 61 countries, you can use NordVPN to stream geoblocked content from anywhere in the world. It regularly refreshes its servers’ IPs, so you don’t need to worry about VPN blocks. According to r/NetflixByProxy, it’s one of the few services that hasn’t been blocked by Netflix.
Its Smart Select feature makes it easy to bypass geoblocks. Smart Select detects the server you need to be on and makes the switch automatically so you can enjoy seamless streaming.
NordVPN is also a hit with r/privacy because its obfuscated servers camouflage your internet traffic so it doesn’t look like you’re using a VPN. This is perfect if you live in a country with censorship and online surveillance, like China.
You can try NordVPN risk-free with its 30-day money-back guarantee to see why it’s a top choice for VPN users. Or, read more about what real users think about NordVPN.
NordVPN can unblock:
- Netflix, HBO, Hulu, Showtime, BBC iPlayer, Amazon Prime Video, and Sling TV.
- Yes, P2P specialty servers available.
NordVPN works on these devices:
- Windows, macOS, Android, iOS, Android TV, Linux, Chrome, and Firefox. It’s also compatible with routers.
Best for cost-effective plans
- 30-day money-back guarantee
- Secure Core servers for added protection
- Flexible plans for all budgets
ProtonVPN is popular with Redditors because of its high-speed connections, huge server selection, and Secure Core technology.
Secure Core routes your data through multiple servers before it leaves the network. This prevents spies monitoring the network and matching your browsing activity with your connection.
Its servers are located in secure data centers in Switzerland, Iceland, and Sweden. This means that your data is protected by strong privacy laws.
ProtonVPN uses military-grade encryption to secure your data. It keeps a strict no-logs policy, and its apps feature a built-in kill switch to prevent unprotected data leaving the network if your connection fails.
It also offers DNS leak protection and its Always On feature ensures that your personal information is never exposed.
One of Reddit’s favorite ProtonVPN features is its built-in support for Tor. Combining Tor and a top VPN provides the ultimate level of security. It also protects you from corrupted Tor nodes and monitored servers.
ProtonVPN offers a limited free account so you can test its service before upgrading to one of its flexible and affordable subscriptions. All its plans are backed by a 30-day money-back guarantee. Read real user reviews to find out more about why people love ProtonVPN.
3. Mullvad VPN
Best for anonymity
- Three-hour free trial and a 30-day money-back guarantee
- Anonymous accounts
- Accepts cash payments
Reddit is full of die-hard Mullvad fans who are excited about its cost-effective prices and easy-to-use, no-frills approach.
It currently offers apps for Windows and MacOS, but it has been criticized for its lack of iOS and Android support. With that said, it is one of the only providers to offer apps for Debian and Fedora OS.
Mullvad offers all the security must-haves, like 256-bit encryption and a no-logs policy. However, its anonymous accounts really set it apart from other VPN providers.
When you register, it assigns you an account number instead of a username and password. Mullvad doesn’t use your name, email address, or other identifying information.
For complete anonymity, you can even pay with cash. If you’re a fan of convenience, it also accepts credit cards, PayPal, Swish, and bank wire.
Mullvad offers a 3-hour free trial so you test out its service before you subscribe. It also offers a 30-day money-back guarantee for all its plans. You can learn more by reading its customer reviews.
Where to Find VPNs on Reddit
Reddit’s organizational structure is hard to navigate if you’re not an experienced user. There are several VPN subcategories, called subreddits, featuring reviews, advice, and technical support.
We have created a master list of VPN subreddits to help you find your way around Reddit.
- r/VPN: This is a great place to find general information about using a VPN. Experts on hand to answer all your questions and provide basic support.
- r/VPNReviews: Here, you’ll find detailed user reviews for almost every VPN on the market.
- r/VPNTorrents: This is the place to discuss the ins and outs of torrenting with a VPN.
- r/privacy: This subreddit will keep you up-to-date with online security threats and solutions to keep you safe.
- r/NetflixByProxy: An entire subreddit dedicated to bypassing Netflix’s geoblocks.
It’s difficult to impress Reddit users, but the VPNs on our list have done it!
NordVPN is r/NetflixByProxy’s top choice for streaming because it can bypass any geoblock in its path.
Although it’s a smaller provider, Mullvad VPN is Reddit’s favorite provider when it comes to privacy. Unlike its competitors, it accepts cash payments by mail so you can remain 100% anonymous.
For the best combination of security and speed, Redditors recommend ProtonVPN. According to r/privacy, its built-in Tor compatibility is a must-have for securing your connection.
Still not sure which VPN is the best choice for you? Reddit recommends NordVPN.
Save on your VPN subscription with our best VPN deals and coupons.
Learn more about NordVPN’s and how to get started.