4 BEST VPNs Reddit Users Recommend in 2023 (SAFE & FAST)
- Short on time? Here's a summary of the VPNs that Reddit users love
- Free VPNs - Are Reddit Users Upvoting or Downvoting Free VPNs?
- The Best VPNs According to Reddit Users - Full Analysis (Updated February 2023)
- ExpressVPN - Best for Fast Connection Speeds
- Proton VPN - Best for Cost-Effective Plans
- Mullvad VPN - Best for Anonymity
- IPVanish — Best for Security Features
- Where to Find VPNs on Reddit
- The Bottom Line
I spent hours researching Reddit to find the VPNs that Reddit users love. I read dozens of real reviews - and hundreds of fake ones - and dug through pages on security, streaming, torrenting, and more to discover everything Redditors think about VPNs. You can read their full reviews below.
Short on time? Here's a summary of the VPNs that Reddit users love
- ExpressVPN: One of the fastest VPNs available, Express VPN is great for streaming, torrenting, browsing, and gaming.
- Proton VPN: Secure Core servers and budget-friendly plans make Proton VPN a popular choice for security-conscious users.
- Mullvad: This service takes privacy to another level with anonymous accounts and the ability to pay with cash.
- IPVanish: This service protects you with its strict zero-logs policy, and is available on all major platforms.
Free VPNs - Are Reddit Users Upvoting or Downvoting Free VPNs?
Reddit users often argue over differences of opinion, but the one thing they agree on is that free VPNs are not safe to use.
There's no such thing as 'completely free.' It's expensive to run a VPN, and providers need to cover their costs. Most free VPN services aren't honest about how they make their money, and it's usually at the expense of their users' security.
Free VPN services make money by:
- Displaying ads and annoying pop-ups.
- Selling your personal information to third parties.
- Using your data for marketing and advertising.
- Using your device as an exit node for its paid subscribers.
If you only need a VPN for a short period or you want to try the service before you commit, Reddit users recommend using a premium VPN’s free trial period. That way, you can try the service for free without compromising your security.
The Best VPNs According to Reddit Users - Full Analysis (Updated February 2023)
Tested February 2023 Try Risk-Free for 30 Days
- 30-day money-back guarantee
- Blazing fast speeds
- TrustedServer technology for increased security
- Works with Netfilx, Hulu, BBC iPlayer, Amazon Video, HBO Go, YouTube, and many more
- Compatible with: Windows, Mac, iOS, Android, Linux, Chrome, Firefox, and many routers
ExpressVPN is popular among Reddit users and there's plenty of reasons why. ExpressVPN is one of the fastest options available and it's packed with security features.
With 256-bit AES encryption, a zero logs policy, and an automatic kill switch it ensures your information and data are secure. ExpressVPN also offers TrustedServer technology that ensures data is never written to a hard drive and a split-tunneling feature that lets you decide what traffic you route through the VPN and what directly accesses the internet.
A few Reddit users have said they've noticed a recent decline in speeds, customer service, and performance, but many other users are still very happy with ExpressVPN.
With over 3,000 servers in 94 countries, ExpressVPN can unblock geo-restricted content on almost any streaming service. Its security features hide your IP address and encrypt your data so no one can see what you're doing online. ExpressVPN works on most devices, including Windows, Mac, iOS, Android, Linux, and many routers and with the ability to connect up to 5 devices simultaneously you and your family are covered.
ExpressVPN comes with a 30-day money-back guarantee, which is plenty of time to ensure it's the right VPN for your needs.
Want to know more? Explore our ExpressVPN review to see the full results of our research and testing
- 30-day money-back guarantee
- Secure Core servers for added protection
- Flexible plans for all budgets
- Military-grade encryption
- Perfect Forward Secrecy for increased security
- Works with Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime Video, and more
- Compatible with: Windows, macOS, Android, iOS, and Linux
Proton VPN is popular with Redditors because of its high-speed connections, huge server selection, and Secure Core technology.
Secure Core routes your data through multiple servers before it leaves the network. This prevents spies monitoring the network and matching your browsing activity with your connection.
Its servers are located in secure data centers in Switzerland, Iceland, and Sweden. This means your data is protected by strong privacy laws.
Proton VPN uses military-grade encryption to secure your data. It keeps a strict no-logs policy, and its apps feature a built-in kill switch to prevent unprotected data leaving the network if your connection fails.
It also offers DNS leak protection and its Always On feature ensures that your personal information is never exposed.
One of Reddit's favorite Proton VPN features is its built-in support for Tor. Combining Tor and a top VPN provides the ultimate level of security. It also protects you from corrupted Tor nodes and monitored servers.
Proton VPN offers a limited free account so you can test its service before upgrading to one of its flexible and affordable subscriptions. All its plans are backed by a 30-day money-back guarantee.
Want to know more? Explore our Proton VPN review to see the full results of our research and testing.
- Three-hour free trial and a 30-day money-back guarantee
- Anonymous accounts
- Accepts cash payments
- Strict no-logs policy
- Works with HBO GO
- Compatible with: Windows, macOS, Fedora, and Debian
Reddit is full of die-hard Mullvad fans who are excited about its cost-effective prices and easy-to-use, no-frills approach.
It currently offers apps for Windows and MacOS, but it has been criticized for its lack of iOS and Android support. With that said, it's one of the only providers to offer apps for Debian and Fedora OS.
Mullvad offers all the security must-haves, like 256-bit encryption and a no-logs policy. However, its anonymous accounts really set it apart from other VPN providers.
When you register, it assigns you an account number instead of a username and password. Mullvad doesn't use your name, email address, or other identifying information.
For complete anonymity, you can even pay with cash. If you're a fan of convenience, it also accepts credit cards, PayPal, Swish, and bank wires.
Mullvad offers a 3-hour free trial so you can test out its service before you subscribe. It also offers a 30-day money-back guarantee for all its plans.
Want to know more? Explore our Mullvad review to see the full results of our research and testing.
- 30-day money-back guarantee
- Fantastic savings on yearly plans
- Military-grade 256-bit AES encryption
- DNS Leak Protection
- Compatible with: Windows, macOS, and Linux
- Apps available for iOS and Android
IPVanish ensures any browsing you do is safe and secure. Since being bought out by StackPath in 2017, IPVanish has doubled down on privacy features such as its zero-logs policy. As well as its no-logs policy, it has a range of impressive security features. It has military-grade 256-bit AES encryption along with DNS leak prevention. Leak prevention means that your DNS requests will never be revealed by being routed through your ISP, and the 256-bit AES encryption would stop any of your information from being legible even if it was somehow intercepted by cybercriminals.
There are IPVanish apps for both iOS and Android, and the service can be configured to work on most platforms including Windows, macOS, and Linux.
The pricing on IPVanish’s plans are generally not bad, but to make the best savings you’ll need to sign up for one of its yearly subscriptions. You can pay for this using credit cards or PayPal.
One of the nice things about IPVanish, particularly if you’re unsure about signing up for the service long-term, is its money-back guarantee. It lets subscribers try out the service for 30 days before claiming a full refund.
Want to know more? Explore our IPVanish review to see the full results of our research and testing.
Where to Find VPNs on Reddit
Reddit's organizational structure is hard to navigate if you're not an experienced user. There are several VPN subcategories, called subreddits, featuring reviews, advice, and technical support.
I've created a master list of VPN subreddits to help you find your way around Reddit.
- r/VPN: This is a great place to find general information about using a VPN. Experts on hand to answer all your questions and provide basic support.
- r/VPNReviews: Here, you'll find detailed user reviews for almost every VPN on the market.
- r/VPNTorrents: This is the place to discuss the ins and outs of torrenting with a VPN.
- r/privacy: This subreddit will keep you up-to-date with online security threats and solutions to keep you safe.
- r/NetflixByProxy: An entire subreddit dedicated to bypassing Netflix's geoblocks.
Should I use a VPN to access Reddit?
Using a VPN to access online content is never a bad idea.
A VPN isn't just for bypassing geoblocking and censorship, it has a number of practical uses. A premium service, like Reddit's top pick ExpressVPN, protects entered form data from hackers and keeps your browsing habits hidden. It offers a strict no-logs policy and military-grade encryption to keep your identity and data safe and anonymous.
What is Reddit?
Reddit is a large information-sharing platform that's primarily self-managed. It serves as an online information exchange and offers a large array of primary topics, those topics then branch into numerous subtopics (subreddits). Reddit allows you to discuss, distribute, and rate content on its site. You can also share articles and links from outside of Reddit, so you get all the latest news on almost any topic you can imagine. The downside is anyone can enter information on Reddit, so finding a reliable, unbiased source is difficult.
If you've quit using Reddit but can't figure out how to delete your account, we can help. Check out our article How to Delete Your Reddit Account Permanently - Updated 2023.
Are VPNs legal?
In most parts of the world using a VPN is completely legal.
That said, there are places that restrict or ban the use of VPNs. These countries include North Korea, Russia, and China. To learn more about VPNs and where using one is limited or banned, read Are VPNs Legal? Where are they Illegal.
The Bottom Line
It's difficult to impress Reddit users, but the VPNs on my list have done it!
Overall, reddit’s top choice is ExpressVPN for its super fast connections and ability to easily bypass geoblocks on streaming platforms.
Although it's a smaller provider, Mullvad VPN is Reddit's favorite provider when it comes to privacy. Unlike its competitors, it accepts cash payments by mail so you can remain 100% anonymous.
For the best combination of security and speed, Redditors recommend Proton VPN. According to r/privacy, its built-in Tor compatibility is a must-have for securing your connection.
Still not sure which VPN is the best choice for you? Reddit recommends ExpressVPN.
To summarize, here are the best VPNs according to Reddit in 2023...
Your data is exposed to the websites you visit!
Your IP Address:
Your Internet Provider:
The information above can be used to track you, target you for ads, and monitor what you do online.
VPNs can help you hide this information from websites so that you are protected at all times. We recommend ExpressVPN — the #1 VPN out of over 350 providers we've tested. It has military-grade encryption and privacy features that will ensure your digital security, plus — it's currently offering 49% off.