3 Best VPNs for Telegram in Russia That Work in 2024
- The Best VPNs for Telegram in Russia — Full Analysis (Updated 2024)
- ExpressVPN — RAM-Only Servers Leave No Trace of Your Telegram Usage
- Astrill VPN — Local And International Servers for Instant Messaging on Telegram
- Proton VPN — Double Encryption Secures Your Telegram Messages in Russia
- Quick Comparison Table: Telegram VPN Features
- Tips on Choosing the Best VPN for Telegram
- Quick Guide: How to Use Telegram in Russia With a VPN in 3 Easy Steps
- FAQs on VPNs for Telegram in Russia
- Get the Best VPN for Telegram in Russia
In April 2018, Russia tried to ban Telegram, but the popular messaging app remained in force. However, Russian IP addresses can be blocklisted at any time.
A VPN can ensure reliable access to Telegram from Russia. However, only some VPNs work in the country. Others lack the security and privacy features to keep you safe online.
My teammate in Russia tested 40+ VPNs and found ExpressVPN is the best for securely using Telegram in Russia. With military-grade encryption and a no-logs policy, your personal information remains hidden. Plus, it has intuitive Android and iOS apps and fast servers worldwide for uninterrupted use of Telegram. A 30-day money-back guarantee also means you can try it risk-free.
Short on Time? Here Are the Best VPNs for Telegram in Russia in 2024
- Editor's ChoiceExpressVPN
A no-logs policy and RAM-only servers means your Telegram data remains private in Russia.70% of our readers choose ExpressVPN
- Astrill VPN
Servers in and outside Russia to easily find one near you to use Telegram without delays.
- Proton VPN
Channel your Telegram traffic through an additional server for extra protection.
The Best VPNs for Telegram in Russia — Full Analysis (Updated 2024)
Tested February 2024 Try Risk-Free for 30 Days
|Runs entirely on volatile memory — nothing gets recorded
|Security & Privacy
|A verified no-logs policy means the VPN won’t ever collect or share your IP address
|All 3,000 servers in 105 countries use obfuscation to prevent blocklisting
|Stable connection with only a 9.1% average speed drop testing server nearby
ExpressVPN's TrustedServer technology automatically deletes your data with every reboot. Because it can't save any data on hard drives, it can't keep logs of your Telegram activity. On top of that, it's based in the privacy-friendly British Virgin Islands, outside the 5/9/14 Eyes Alliances, so it isn't subjected to any data retention laws.
AES 246-bit encryption (the standard used by security agencies) adds a layer of security to Telegram's already encrypted messages. Perfect Forward Secrecy further ensures your Telegram sessions stay protected from hackers and snoops by regularly assigning you new encryption keys. Its kill switch immediately cuts your internet connection should the VPN accidentally drop for any reason. In my Russian colleague's tests, he detected no data leaks using ExpressVPN.
On the downside, you must use a Russian-sanctioned VPN (like Kaspersky) with ExpressVPN for the initial connection. However, ExpressVPN's speeds are ideal for real-time chatting and file sharing on Telegram. This performance is mainly attributable to its proprietary Lightway protocol, which is designed to use less code — great for mobile as it drains less battery.
You can save up to 49% and get 3 months of service free when opting for a long-term ExpressVPN subscription. Each plan offers 8 simultaneous connections and user-friendly apps for all major devices. There’s also a 30-day money-back guarantee. Getting a refund is easy. I canceled and requested my money back using the 4/7 live chat feature. The agent started the process immediately, and my money was reflected in my PayPal account within 3 days.
- Shortcuts. With this feature, you can add a shortcut on ExpressVPN's home screen for instant access to Telegram once you establish a connection.
- Split tunneling. You can use this feature to route Telegram traffic via the VPN and let traffic from other apps or sites bypass the secure tunnel. This improves speed since not all your traffic gets encrypted.
- Threat Manager. Activate this feature to prevent Telegram and other apps on your device from communicating with malicious trackers and sites. Threat Manager also blocks annoying ads when browsing, and you can use it to set parental controls.
- Smart Location. ExpressVPN uses this feature to auto-connect you to the fastest server available. This can significantly minimize wait times for file uploads and downloads, as well as help you avoid disruption when chatting and making calls.
|The fastest VPN tested with servers in St. Petersburg and Moscow
|Security & Privacy
|Headquartered in Seychelles, a country with favorable privacy-protection laws
|120 servers in 58 countries for reliably accessing Instagram
|A 5% average reduction in speed testing local servers in Russia
Since Telegram is no longer blocked in Russia, Astrill VPN's local servers are great for establishing a fast connection for uninterrupted experiences on Telegram and other messaging/VoIP services. During testing, my colleague in Russia connected to servers within the country in under 5 seconds. His average download speed was 121.25Mbps from a base connection of 127.22Mbps.
Astrill VPN shields your Telegram conversations and shared files against tracking and surveillance with advanced security features. These include AES-256 encryption, secure tunneling protocols, DNS/IP leak protection, and a kill switch. You can use multi-hop servers that encrypt your traffic twice for additional security when paying a small extra fee.
You can avoid repetitive CAPTCHAs with dedicated IPs that are exclusively yours, a common issue with shared IPs because websites or Google's systems often mistake them for a bot. During my tests with dedicated IPs from France and Switzerland, I didn’t have to prove I was human to use the Telegram web.
One drawback is that the VPN has a no-refund policy. However, Astrill VPN offers a 7-day free trial that gives you full access to all its features. Plus, when referring a friend subscribing to a paid plan, you get rewarded with a month of free usage. Each plan also offers up to 5 simultaneous connections.
- Choice of reliable protocols. Astrill VPN bolsters online privacy with industry-standard OpenVPN and the speedy WireGuard protocol. It also includes proprietary StealthVPN and OpenWeb protocols that can conceal your VPN data as regular internet traffic to use it on restrictive networks, like school and work.
- 24/7 customer support. Like ExpressVPN, I could quickly connect with a live agent at any hour whenever I had questions or needed clarification.
- Application and site filters. You can use these features to selectively choose which apps or websites use the VPN and which use your regular internet connection.
|Secure Core servers encrypt your traffic twice for extra protection
|Security & Privacy
|Keeps your Telegram activity anonymous with high-level encryption
|3,217 servers in 71 countries to avoid delays due to server overcrowding
|Great for maintaining uninterrupted messaging, voice, and video calls on Telegram
Proton VPN's Secure Core servers provide added peace of mind when using Telegram by routing your traffic through an extra server. Located in privacy-friendly countries like Sweden, these servers are the first stop for your data. This means your data stays safe even if servers in the final destination ever get compromised. In my tests, I established connections to Proton VPN’s Secure Core servers without a problem.
Like ExpressVPN, the VPN adheres to an audited no-logs policy to protect your sensitive information from surveillance. It's also based in the privacy-friendly Geneva, Switzerland, outside the data-sharing pact of the 5/9/14 Eyes Alliances. So, Proton VPN isn't obligated to hand over data, even if requested by the Russian government.
One small con is that only paid account holders can access live chat. However, the support team can be contacted through social media channels, email, or the subreddit, although response times for these channels may be longer. On top of that, a range of self-help tools are available, including detailed FAQs, in-depth setup guides, and extensive troubleshooting tips.
As with many VPNs, you can save more if you opt for a long-term subscription. All plans are supported by a 30-day money-back guarantee, allowing you to try Proton VPN for free.
- VPN Accelerator. This feature is engineered to get better speed on distant servers, even when you have a less reliable internet connection. This can help maintain good speed for real-time messaging when connected to servers outside Russia.
- Kill switch and DNS/IP leak protection. Helps you avoid accidental exposure of your data, like your IP address, when using Telegram.
Quick Comparison Table: Telegram VPN Features
The table below presents a concise overview of key features to consider when choosing a VPN for Telegram in Russia, such as price, server network, and jurisdiction.
Tips on Choosing the Best VPN for Telegram
Only a few independent VPNs reliably work in Russia. I've only included the ones that allowed our Russian teammate to use Telegram securely and without disruptions. Our assessment was based on the following criteria, which I recommend using if you want to do your own research.
- Robust security features. Strengthen your privacy on Telegram in Russia by choosing a VPN that takes your online safety seriously. AES 256-bit encryption, IP/DNS leak protection, a kill switch, and a strict no-logs policy are key features to consider.
- Global network. Choose a VPN with many servers worldwide to ensure you always have access to Telegram in Russia.
- Impressive speeds. Send and receive messages instantly in Russia by selecting a VPN that minimizes speed reductions. This enables uninterrupted video calls, fast uploads, and downloads of large media files.
- Easy to use. Look for a VPN with user-friendly apps to get started right away and support multiple connections to safeguard all your Telegram-enabled devices.
- Excellent customer support. Check if the VPN offers convenient contact options like live chat, email, or social media for prompt assistance whenever you require it.
- Trusted money-back guarantee. Pick a VPN that gives you a chance to test its features and get a full refund if you're not completely satisfied.
Quick Guide: How to Use Telegram in Russia With a VPN in 3 Easy Steps
- Get a VPN. I recommend ExpressVPN for its commitment to protecting your online identity and activity so your Telegram data won't fall into the wrong hands. Plus, it has a 30-day money-back guarantee.
- Connect to a server close by. Choosing a server closest to your location provides the best speed for a quick and stable connection.
- Start chatting. You can now securely use Telegram in Russia.
FAQs on VPNs for Telegram in Russia
Can I use Telegram in Russia?
Yes, Telegram remains accessible in Russia despite past efforts by Russian authorities to block it. Such attempts may happen again in the future, depending on ongoing political and legal developments, so we urge you to stay updated on the country's laws. Many people in Russia use Telegram with a VPN to protect their chats from potential surveillance.
Is it legal to use Telegram with a VPN in Russia?
It’s complicated since the government exercises stringent control over VPN usage in the country. Only those services compliant with Russian censorship and data regulations are legally permitted. However, there are several quality VPNs with advanced security features that remain effective in Russia.
My colleagues and I strongly advocate for the lawful use of VPNs in Russia. So, we ask you to keep abreast of the country's laws to avoid legal violations when using Telegram or other social media platforms with a VPN.
Can I use a free VPN with Telegram in Russia?
I don't recommend it because they often lack appropriate security measures, offer limited server locations, and throttle speed. Such limitations can hinder real-time messaging and expose your private data to snoops and hackers. A better alternative is a premium VPN with fast servers, military-grade encryption, and a free trial or money-back guarantee.
Some free VPNs have been caught selling user data for a profit and installing malware on customer devices.
Why should I use a VPN with Telegram in Russia?
A good VPN protects your privacy on Telegram and ensures access. It does this by replacing your IP address, encrypting your traffic, and not logging your data. This makes it difficult for anyone to see what you’re doing online or monitor your Telegram activity.
VPNs also help you avoid unjust speed throttling by your ISP, which can disrupt real-time conversations, file transfers, and voice or video calls. This is particularly beneficial if you’re using Telegram while simultaneously engaging in bandwidth-heavy activities like torrenting or streaming.
Is Telegram banned in Russia?
No, Telegram is now accessible in Russia. The government's attempt to block the service in 2018 was unsuccessful, as its usage persisted and even flourished. This continued popularity ultimately led to the ban being lifted in 2020. Still, many Telegram users in Russia use a VPN to protect their online privacy.
Get the Best VPN for Telegram in Russia
A good VPN for Russia maintains real-time messaging on Telegram without sacrificing your security and privacy. However, only a select few can achieve this. The ones on this list deliver impressive speeds and possess all the necessary features for safe Telegram use in Russia.
ExpressVPN is my top choice for secure messaging on Telegram in Russia. It shields your Telegram traffic from surveillance, all while ensuring you never miss sending or receiving a message, call, or file on time. You can also test it without risk — it’s backed by a 30-day money-back guarantee.
To summarize, these are the best VPNs for Telegram in Russia…
Your data is exposed to the websites you visit!
Your IP Address:
Your Internet Provider:
The information above can be used to track you, target you for ads, and monitor what you do online.
VPNs can help you hide this information from websites so that you are protected at all times. We recommend ExpressVPN — the #1 VPN out of over 350 providers we've tested. It has military-grade encryption and privacy features that will ensure your digital security, plus — it's currently offering 49% off.