Watch Strictly Come Dancing – from Anywhere in 2020!
Strictly Come Dancing is back again for another season full of foxtrots, quicksteps, and waltzes. Fans of this hit reality show have been waiting in the wings for this season’s sequin-spangled lineup to compete.
For those in the UK, you can tune in to BBC One or use the BBC iPlayer app on your favorite device, but if you’re outside of the UK, you’re out of luck… unless you read this guide to find out how to watch Strictly Come Dancing from anywhere!
That’s right – you can watch ‘Strictly’ (as it’s affectionately called) from absolutely anywhere in the world. You can access the show on BBC iPlayer if you can make it appear as though you’re in the UK. To do this, you need a VPN.
Quick Guide – How to Watch Strictly Come Dancing on BBC iPlayer
- Pick a VPN that has servers in the UK. We recommend NordVPN due to their fast streaming speed, high reliability, and fair prices.
- Download and install the VPN software.
- Connect to a server anywhere in the UK (to watch Strictly Come Dancing).
- Head over to BBC iPlayer and log in/sign up and start streaming.
How to Sign Up for BBC iPlayer
You may initially encounter a couple of barriers to watching content on BBC iPlayer.
- When signing up for a BBC iPlayer account, you will need to enter your location. To ensure you have no trouble accessing UK content, search for any UK postcode online and enter that. You won’t need to give any further details. As long as you’re using a VPN that’s connected to a UK server, you should have no problem accessing iPlayer.
- When first accessing the iPlayer, you may be asked if you have a ‘UK TV License.’ This is an annual license that UK residents must buy to watch television, and you are technically meant to possess one to watch iPlayer; however, you don’t need to prove that you hold one as the system is honor-based, so when prompted, just click ‘I have a TV license. Watch Now’.
Why You Need a VPN to Watch Strictly Come Dancing
Due to copyright and licensing laws, Strictly Come Dancing is not available outside the UK. If you are outside the UK and try to watch Strictly (or any other show on BBC iPlayer), you’ll receive an error message stating “BBC iPlayer only works in the UK. Sorry, it’s due to rights issues”. This restriction is called a geoblock or geo-restriction.
We can help you learn how to stream Strictly Come Dancing on BBC iPlayer from outside the UK. All you need is an IP address that appears to be in the UK. To do that, you need a VPN.
A VPN allows you to circumvent the BBC iPlayer’s geoblock by tricking it into believing you’re in the UK. Your VPN masks your real IP address and reroutes your connection through a UK server, giving you a UK-based IP address.
The BBC iPlayer sees your UK-based IP and assumes you’re there, which gives you full access to all the content on the iPlayer, meaning you can watch Strictly just after it airs live!
That’s Not All a VPN Can Do
Besides giving you access to any geoblocked content from almost anywhere in the world, a VPN gives you so much more. The primary benefits of using a VPN are the security benefits.
A quality VPN keeps you safe online by masking your IP and encrypting your data, meaning nobody can see what you’re doing online or what data you’re transmitting.
As a bonus, a VPN can sometimes improve your connection speeds by routing your connection through a server that’s less congested or of a higher quality than your own ISP would use. This is highly noticeable when streaming or gaming, giving you a smooth, buffer, and glitch-free connection.
3 Best VPNs for Watching Strictly Come Dancing
NordVPN leads the way in consumer privacy and is outside the jurisdiction of those prying 5 Eyes, 9 Eyes, & 14 Eyes alliance areas. That means you can stream your favorite show in total ambiguity.
NordVPN has become one of the best in its field and is highly respected amongst VPN providers, and users alike. The reliability and performance of its 5,700+ servers over 60 countries are second to none, giving you fast, reliable access to streaming shows that are otherwise restricted in your area.
NordVPN grants users an airtight, military-grade AES-256 bit encryption, and it also supports L2TP/IPsec, OpenVPN, and PPTP tunneling protocols. With multiple other bonus security features, you’ll be in an internet safe haven.
Another benefit is the ability to use NordVPN on up to six devices at the same time. It offers a 30-day money-back guarantee.
NordVPN can unblock:
- Netflix, HBO, Hulu, Showtime, BBC iPlayer, Amazon Prime Video, and Sling TV.
- Yes, P2P specialty servers available.
NordVPN works on these devices:
- Windows, macOS, Android, iOS, Android TV, Linux, Chrome, and Firefox. It’s also compatible with routers.
ExpressVPN is the leader in high-speed servers, as well as being one of the top choices in reliability, and dedicated customer service including 24/7 technical assistance.
While not the cheapest VPN provider, ExpressVPN gives you the freedom to stream your favorite shows securely. High-quality services generally charge a little extra and grant you access to better security, and premium customer service – ExpressVPN is no different. You get premier service for the price you pay.
With around 160 locations and a massive 3000 servers worldwide, ExpressVPN also uses TrustedServer technology, meaning you’ll never miss your favorite streaming shows. ExpressVPN includes high level, military grade AES-256 bit encryption, a kill switch, and also a no-logs policy. It also offers support and access across all available platforms.
You can use ExpressVPN with up to five connections simultaneously and they have a 30-day money-back guarantee.
ExpressVPN can unblock:
- Netflix, Hulu, HBO, Amazon Prime Video, Showtime, Sling TV, DAZN, and BBC iPlayer.
- Yes, all servers support P2P activity.
ExpressVPN works on these devices:
- Windows, macOS, Android, iOS, Android TV, Linux, Chrome, and Firefox. It also offers an app for use with certain routers.
With this popular VPN provider, you’re given a good balance of great pricing and a high-quality, full-featured VPN service in one. With its easy-to-use system, servers located in 90+ countries, totaling 6000+ around the world, you’ll have access to features that will fulfill all your streaming needs.
CyberGhost also offers world-class security with military-grade 256-bit AES encryption. It features built-in malware, and ad-blocking software, OpenVPN protocol, as well as DNS, and IP leak protection, plus many other security features.
CyberGhost’s packages are great value with a 30-day money-back guarantee on short plans, and a 45-day guarantee on plans of 6-months or longer. With the ability to have 7 connections at once, it’s easily one of our top three options for streaming and accessing content online.
CyberGhost can unblock:
- Dedicated streaming profile with servers optimized for: Netflix, BBC iPlayer, Sky Go, Hulu, Comedy Central, Eurosport, ESPN, and others.
- Yes; dedicated profile shows countries and number of users.
CyberGhost works on these devices:
- Windows, macOS, Android, iOS, Amazon Fire Stick, Android TV, Linux, and Chrome.
View the video below and learn how to use Surfshark VPN to watch Strictly Come Dancing from anywhere. When you’re done, check out our full provider review to discover more about the pros and cons of using Surfshark.
If you want to watch Strictly Come Dancing, and live in the UK, you’ll have no trouble tuning in to BBC One or its catch-up app, BBC iPlayer. If you’re not in the UK, you’ll need a VPN to access this entertaining show.
By following the instructions in this guide, you’ll make your IP appear as though you’re in the UK, which means you’ll be able to watch Strictly from anywhere in the world. It’s so easy!
Just make sure you choose a trustworthy VPN with great streaming speeds, and robust security, like our top recommendation, NordVPN.
For a more comprehensive list of VPNs to use with BBC iPlayer, check out the 5 Best BBC iPlayer VPNs.
Looking for the most recent VPN deals available? Check them out by clicking on this month’s Best VPN Deals & Coupon Codes.