EarthVPN Review & Test 2019 - Keep This in Mind Before Buying
Ran Greenberg | Updated on 27th September 2019New-Media and online expert, Venture Capitalist and investor
EarthVPN is one of the most affordable VPN services available. Nonetheless, it provides users with good performance and features. For top of the range performance and features though, you'll need to opt for a premium provider like NordVPN.
EarthVPN offers 168 server locations in 32 countries, including the United States, the United Kingdom, Germany, France, Canada, Brazil, Spain, Switzerland, South Africa and Japan. It offers unlimited transfer speeds, unlimited bandwidth and allows peer-to-peer and torrent file sharing. The service supports protocols such as PPTP, L2TP, SSTP and OpenVPN (TCP and UDP modes). It uses 128bit AES and 2048 bit RSA encryption. EarthVPN is dedicated to protecting your anonymity and does not log VPN or user activity.
The connections are speedy and reliable, with EarthVPN providing a 99.99% service uptime guarantee. This makes EarthVPN particularly suited for accessing geolocated streaming services such as BBC iPlayer, YouTube, Hulu, or Netflix.
EarthVPN is very easy to download, install, configure and use. The service is compatible with Windows, Mac OS X, iOS, Android and Linux. EarthVPN can therefore be used on desktop and laptop computers, tablets and smartphones. It can also be used on DD-WRT router, which allows users to use the service withXbox, PlayStation 3, Apple TV and Roku. EarthVPN allows users to connect 3 devices at the same time.
Two types of subscription are available: monthly and annual. Both provide the same service and features, the only difference being the duration. No contract is required, and there is a seven-day money back guarantee. Multiple payment methods are accept: in addition to credit cards, users can pay securely through PayPal, AliPay, UnionPay, and others, or using Bitcoin and other virtual currencies. Technical support is available 24/7 via email and support ticket.
Besides the standard features, EarthVPN also offers some good additional features for an extra charge. These include having a mobile VPN account, an SSH Tunnel/Socks proxy, a static IP address, as well as 256bit encryption, port forwarding and a dedicated IP address.
|Number of countries with servers||54|
|Number of servers||400|
|Number of IP addresses||3000|
|Does VPN keep logs?||Partially|
|Does VPN include a kill switch?||Yes|
|Number of devices per license||3|
1. Download EarthVPN from here
2. Open the downloaded EarthVPN-OpenVPN.zip file with winZIP or WinRAR and select extract to location, to move the file to the folder you would like it in
3. Right-click on the downloaded file openvpn-2.2.2-install.exe and select “Run as administrator” from the menu
4. You must allow the program to make changes to your computer (click “Yes”)
5. Continue through the Set-up Wizard (you must agree to the Licence Agreement)
6. Click “Install”, click “Next”, untick “show Readme”, then click “Finish”
7. Open the folder where you extracted the EarthVPN-OpenVPN.zip file to. A list of Protocol-Port Directories will be displayed, click the one you wish to use (it is suggested that you choose a UDP option to connect to servers which are located on other continents)
8. Copy all the files to the OpenVPN config file
9. Right-click the OpenVPN GUI icon on your desktop, choose “Properties” from the list
10. Click “Change settings for all users”, tick “Run this program as an administrator”, click “OK”, click “OK”
11. Right-click on the OpenVPN GUI icon in your taskbar (located at the bottom right of your screen) and click “Exit”
12. Double-click the OpenVPN GUI icon and select to the site you want to connect to, then click “Connect” on the site”s menu
13. Enter your VPN username and password and click “OK”
14. The program icon in your taskbar will turn green once the connection is established
EarthVPN offers subscriptions for either 1 or 12 months, they provide the same service with the only difference being the price. A 7 day money back guarantee is offered if you are not happy with the service. In addition to the features offered in its plans, EarthVPN also have several extra features that can be obtained for an additional fee, these include a mobile VPN account and port forwarding.
EarthVPN offers 24/7/365 support via email and support tickets, though responses take a few hours (just over 8 hours to respond to our ticket), they also provide a FAQ section. The connection never dropped during testing, and speeds were generally good – with SSTP providing a much faster connection.
- Strong encryption
- Accepts anonymous payments
- No logs
- Gets more expensive to use more devices
- Somewhat variable speeds
- Support needs to be improved
- Get started with EarthVPN now