5 Best VPNs for Europe in August 2020: Fast, Safe & Reliable
Online fraud is a growing concern in Europe, making a VPN a must – regardless of whether you’re a visitor using public Wi-Fi or a lifelong resident of one of one of the many European countries looking to torrent safely and access geo-blocked content.
A VPN allows you to secure your connection and reduce the risk of online fraud and cyber attacks. It means you can hide your location, surf anonymously, and stream local, national, and international programs without having to worry about hackers, malware, and viruses.
But, with the many countries that make up Europe having their own rules and regulations – governing everything from freedom of speech to online gambling and the status of torrenting – and with numerous VPNs available to choose from, how do you determine which is the best VPN for Europe? Our experts have put together a list of the top VPNs for Europe to help you make the right decision for your needs.
Best VPNs Available for Europe
- NordVPN – Unsurpassable security combined with the largest network of servers within Europe.
- ExpressVPN – Ultra fast speeds, secure and stable connections, and support in European languages.
- CyberGhost – Seven simultaneous connections per license, the ability to access geo-restricted content, and dedicated servers for file-sharing and torrenting.
- Private Internet Access – Impressive European server network, solid security, and ten simultaneous device connections.
- PrivateVPN – User-friendly with fast speeds, no bandwidth or downloading restrictions, and excellent customer service.
What Should You Look for in a VPN for Europe?
A VPN secures your internet connection, changing your IP address to protect your privacy. For residents of European countries, this means you can torrent safely without putting your data at risk or your activities being watched. It also means you can access local streaming channels, whether that’s Pantaya or RTVE in Spain or HRT and Klasik TV in Croatia, without your connection being hacked. Online banking is safer, and you can explore geoblocked channels, such as BBC iPlayer and Netflix, that you wouldn’t otherwise be able to enjoy.
But what if you’re just visiting?
A VPN also means that you can use Wi-Fi hotspots securely while traveling and keep up with your favorite programs from home by hiding your actual location.
However, to achieve all this and more, whether you’re a resident in Europe or a visitor, this is what you should look for in a VPN:
- Servers within the different countries of Europe. This is essential for streaming local free and paid channels.
- Good speeds, stable connection, and no bandwidth or download limits.
- Allows torrenting – the status of torrenting differs between European countries, so a VPN means you can safely and securely connect to a server in a country where torrenting is allowed.
- Servers in the US – this is a must if you want to access services such as Netflix USA and Hulu, that are geo-blocked. UK servers are a must for BBC iPlayer, which isn’t available to the rest of Europe.
- Ability to bypass geoblocks – your VPN needs to stay one step ahead of the stringent blocks that Netflix and others have in place to stop VPN users from accessing content that is region specific.
- User-friendly – simple downloads, easy-to-follow instructions, and one-click native apps mean that language is no barrier to creating a secure and private internet connection where native language support is not available.
- Good customer service – native language websites, 24/7 customer service, informative FAQ pages, and thorough guides are just a few of the elements that are central to the best VPN providers.
The Best VPNs for Europe
The #1 VPN for Europe
- 5000+ servers in 60 countries
- Excellent 24/7 customer service
- Fast speeds and stable connections
- 30-day money-back guarantee
NordVPN has over 2,000 servers across 38 European countries, as well as website support in most major European languages.
Most of its European servers support P2P activities. When combined with its fast speeds, excellent encryption, and ability to bypass US Netflix geo-blocks, this means you can torrent, surf, and stream safely and securely from anywhere in Europe.
NordVPN’s unsurpassable security means it remains a key favorite with users. It secures connections with 2048-bit AES encryption, DNS leak protection, and double VPN. NordVPN offers a range of security protocols and a strict no-logging policy, ensuring that your information and data remains safe.
NordVPN can unblock:
- Netflix, HBO, Hulu, Showtime, BBC iPlayer, Amazon Prime Video, and Sling TV.
- Yes, P2P specialty servers available.
NordVPN works on these devices:
- Windows, macOS, Android, iOS, Android TV, Linux, Chrome, and Firefox. It’s also compatible with routers.
The Fastest VPN in Europe
- 1,500+ servers across 148 countries, including 49 countries in Europe
- Excellent range of protocols and security features
- Superb speeds with no download or bandwidth restrictions
- 30-day money-back guarantee
ExpressVPN is one of the fastest and most stable VPNs available in Europe, offering support in many European languages.
Users have access to servers in 49 European countries, eight of which have multiple locations, and all of which support OpenVPN, IKEv2, and PPTP protocols, as well as others.
ExpressVPN has no bandwidth or download restrictions and is one of the few top VPNs that can stay one step ahead of the increasingly stringent geo-blocks put in place by Netflix and others. Its split tunneling feature allows you to safely stream local European channels while using a different server to securely access sites that may be restricted in your location.
ExpressVPN offers 256-bit AES security, a kill switch, and DNS/IPv6 leak protect, as well as browser extensions that provide additional security. Its combination of speed and security are often highlighted in its many excellent reviews.
ExpressVPN can unblock:
- Netflix, Hulu, HBO, Amazon Prime Video, Showtime, Sling TV, DAZN, and BBC iPlayer.
- Yes, all servers support P2P activity.
ExpressVPN works on these devices:
- Windows, macOS, Android, iOS, Android TV, Linux, Chrome, and Firefox. It also offers an app for use with certain routers.
Second greatest number of servers in Europe
- Over 1,800 servers across 34 European countries
- Dedicated torrenting and file-sharing servers
- Seven simultaneous connections
- 7-day free trial for mobile users and 45-day money-back guarantee
CyberGhost has over 1,800 servers across 34 countries in Europe, making it easy to find a server to fit your needs. It also offers website support in several European languages.
Seven simultaneous connections per license, the ability to access geo-restricted content on US Netflix among others, dedicated servers for file-sharing and torrenting, and an easy-to-use interface make CyberGhost a practical and effective VPN choice for many users.
Additionally, CyberGhost offers 256-bit encryption, an automatic kill switch, OpenVPN protocol, and DNS and IP leak protection, to ensure that your connection is private and secure.
CyberGhost can unblock:
- Dedicated streaming profile with servers optimized for: Netflix, BBC iPlayer, Sky Go, Disney+, Comedy Central, Eurosport, ESPN, and others.
- Yes; dedicated profile shows countries and number of users.
CyberGhost works on these devices:
- Windows, macOS, Android, iOS, Amazon Fire Stick, Android TV, Linux, and Chrome.
Solid security and decent speeds
- Servers in over 30 European countries
- Advanced security features
- 10 simultaneous device connections
- 30-day money-back guarantee
Private Internet Access has servers in over 30 European countries, which makes it a great choice for locating a powerful server in your desired location. With Private Internet access, you’ll be able to unblock streaming services and restricted websites throughout the continent.
With your subscription, you can connect a generous ten simultaneous devices to Private Internet Access. So, why not share the VPN with your family, so they too can watch their favorite geo-restricted shows and protect their online privacy.
Talking of online privacy, Private Internet Access’s robust encryption, automatic kill switch, leak-protection, and strict no-logs policy protect your sensitive data and anonymity every time you go online. Plus, there is MACE – the built-in malware and tracker blocker – which is a very popular feature with users.
Test out the secure VPN for yourself risk-free, with a 30-day money-back guarantee.
Private Internet Access can unblock:
- Netflix, HBO Now, Sky Go, YouTube, Showtime, Hulu, Disney+
- Yes, P2P is supported on all servers.
Private Internet Access works on these devices:
- Android, Mac, Windows, iOS, Linux, browsers.
A solid and reliable VPN
- No usage or bandwidth restrictions
- Easy-to-read set up guides and accessible customer service support
- Server locations across 31 European countries
- 30-day money-back guarantee
PrivateVPN may not have as many servers as other VPN providers, but it does have servers in 31 countries across Europe, many with multiple locations.
Its growing network of global servers means it can unblock and stream geo-restricted content from across Europe, including the UK, as well as from the US. PrivateVPN’s fast speeds, lack of bandwidth and downloading restrictions, and its excellent customer services makes it a firm favorite with users.
PrivateVPN secures connections with a range of protocols, including OpenVPN, ensuring your data is safe whether you are downloading torrents in Switzerland or accessing geo-restricted content from across the globe.
PrivateVPN can unblock:
- Netflix, Hulu, HBO, Hotstar, Amazon Prime Video, and BBC iPlayer.
- Yes, all servers support P2P activity; list of P2P-optimized servers available through the app.
PrivateVPN works on these devices:
- Windows, macOS, Android, and iOS.
When choosing a VPN for use across Europe, whether it is for torrenting or safely accessing your online bank, privacy and security should be on the top of your list. All our top VPNs for Europe meet these criteria and offer so much more.
However, if none of them are right for you, there are more top choices available here. If you are still unsure as to whether you need a VPN for traveling in Europe or to safeguard your connection at home, then read our VPN Guide for more information.