5 Best VPNs for Call of Duty in 2024: Works With COD Mobile
- Best VPNs for Call of Duty — Full Analysis (Updated 2024)
- ExpressVPN — Overall Best COD VPN With Low Ping and Fast Speeds
- CyberGhost — Gaming-Optimized Servers to Easily Find the Ideal Connection for COD
- Private Internet Access (PIA) — Customizable Security to Optimize Your Connection for COD
- NordVPN — Obfuscated Servers to Play COD Games on Restrictive Networks
- Surfshark — Unlimited Connections to Play COD Games on Any Device
- Quick Comparison Table: COD VPN Features
- Tips on Choosing the Best Call of Duty VPN
- Quick Guide: How to Use a VPN to Get Easier COD Lobbies
- FAQs on VPNs for Call of Duty
- Get the Best VPN for Call of Duty Multiplayer
Finding the best COD VPN can be overwhelming. Many VPNs promise a smooth gaming experience but give you high ping and limited server options. On top of that, some even fail to protect you from DDoS attacks because they don’t have strong data leak protection.
My team and I tested 70+ VPNs to find the best ones for Call of Duty. We looked at their average ping, server networks, and security. Plus, we tested them with different Call of Duty titles, including COD Mobile, Warzone, and Modern Warfare. Based on this, I shortlisted a few that worked the best.
My top recommendation for Call of Duty is ExpressVPN. It has fast speeds and a large server network, so you can get easier bot lobbies or play with your friends abroad without lag. Plus, it’s secure and works really well with CODM. You can try ExpressVPN risk-free as it’s backed by a 30-day money-back guarantee.
Short on Time? Here Are the Best VPNs for COD in 2024
- Editor's ChoiceExpressVPN
Overall best COD VPN with consistently fast speeds, low ping, and strong security.70% of our readers choose ExpressVPN
Gaming-optimized servers to easily find the ideal connection for Call of Duty.
- Private Internet Access
Customizable security to optimize it for COD gaming, but it’s not the easiest to use.
Obfuscated servers to play COD on restrictive networks, but its app can be slow to launch.
Unlimited device connections to play COD, but some servers can take a while to connect.
Best VPNs for Call of Duty — Full Analysis (Updated 2024)
Tested February 2024 Try Risk-Free for 30 Days
|Lowest ping of all the COD VPNs I tested
|3,000 servers in 105 countries to get easier bot lobbies
|Very fast — 4% speed drop on nearby UK servers
|Play COD on 8 devices simultaneously
ExpressVPN is the fastest COD VPN I tested. During my tests on its nearby UK servers, I had a speed drop of only 4%, and the ping stayed below 18 ms the entire time. Even on distant US servers, the speed only went down by 15%, which is much better than some other VPNs I tried. I played Call of Duty mobile on my Android phone without any lag. The game was smooth on PC as well.
If you want to play with friends abroad, you’ll appreciate ExpressVPN’s large server network. You can also connect to less popular regions to shoot some easy targets. Its servers in Egypt helped me bypass skill-based matchmaking (SBMM) and granted me access to bot lobbies. Even on these distant servers, I didn’t experience any noticeable lag.
It’s one of the very few VPNs that offer custom firmware for many popular router models and a dedicated router app. This makes it super easy to set up and use the VPN to protect your COD gaming on a console. Plus, there are detailed guides on the website. While I was testing, I installed ExpressVPN on my router and started playing COD: Warzone on my PlayStation 4 in around 10 minutes.
The only problem with ExpressVPN is that it’s a bit more expensive than some other options. However, it offers generous discounts throughout the year, so you can save up to 49% on your subscription. Plus, it’s backed by a 30-day money-back guarantee, so you can test ExpressVPN with COD risk-free. If it’s not for you, getting a refund is easy through the 24/7 live chat.
- Strong security. ExpressVPN offers military-grade AES 256-bit encryption and IP/DNS leak protection to hide your real IP address and protect your COD gaming sessions from DDoS attacks. You’re protected by a kill switch, too, but you don’t have to worry about this interrupting your gaming sessions. My VPN connection never dropped during my hours of testing.
- Lightway protocol. ExpressVPN’s excellent performance is in large part thanks to its proprietary Lightway protocol, which is designed to deliver fast speeds and low ping without compromising security.
- Aircove router. If you're concerned about voiding your router's warranty by installing a VPN, consider ExpressVPN's Aircove router. It's already set up with ExpressVPN, so you can start protecting your COD sessions straight away, right out of the box.
- Split tunneling. This allows you to control which apps are routed through the VPN and which ones stay on your usual connection. I was able to farm bot lobbies on Call of Duty: Warzone using the VPN while simultaneously streaming Netflix on my regular internet connection.
|Specialized gaming servers for reliable and secure connections for COD
|11,683 servers in 100 countries to change your IP
|Fast — 8% speed drop on nearby UK servers
|7 simultaneous connection to play COD on your preferred devices
CyberGhost offers gaming-optimized servers, making it easy for you to find the ideal connection for Call of Duty titles. Instead of guessing which server might be the best, you can simply head to the For Gaming tab and make your pick. These servers are optimized for fast speeds and low latency, so you can play without lag.
When I tested the UK and Germany gaming servers, I was impressed. My ping never rose above 25 ms, and the speed drop was also below 8%. This ensured that my Modern Warfare gameplay on Windows was smooth and lag-free. Plus, I could download game updates within minutes.
It's worth noting that long-distance connections can sometimes be slower with CyberGhost. For example, on its Australian server, my ping was over 100 ms, and the speed drop was 23%. But this slowdown won't be noticeable if your baseline internet speed is fast. You’ll have some lag, but not so much that COD becomes unplayable.
CyberGhost offers both monthly and yearly pricing plans, and they are backed by a money-back guarantee of up to 45 days. This means you can try CyberGhost with Call of Duty for free and get a full refund if you don’t like it.
- Router support. CyberGhost is compatible with many router models, and it took me around 15 minutes to install it on my Asus router. However, it doesn’t have a dedicated router app like ExpressVPN, so you’ll have to manually configure it when you want to change servers. Installing the VPN on a router lets you play COD on VPN-incompatible devices like PlayStation.
- Protection against DDoS attacks. In addition to IP/DNS leak protection and a kill switch, it comes with a built-in NAT firewall to protect your Call of Duty gaming sessions from potential DDoS attacks. This filters out suspicious data packets and ensures that only the data you requested reaches your device.
|Customizable settings to optimize the VPN for your COD gaming needs
|29,650 servers in 91 countries to play with friends abroad
|Fast — 8% speed drop on nearby UK servers
|Protect your COD sessions on unlimited devices simultaneously
PIA gives you customizable security features, which lets you fine-tune your connection for COD. If you choose the OpenVPN protocol, you have the option of using the 128-bit or more secure 256-bit encryption. The former boosts gaming speeds at the expense of some security, and the latter does vice versa. Or, choose WireGuard for a great balance of both.
PIA has the largest server network of any Call of Duty VPN I tested. This means you can connect to your desired location without worrying about server congestion. And if you’re looking for bot lobbies or play COD games with friends abroad, you’ll have plenty of servers to choose from.
While the app is rich in customization features, it might feel a bit overwhelming at first, especially if you’re new to VPNs. But PIA comes pre-configured, so if you prefer not to dive into settings, you can use it right away for gaming.
Plans are affordable — you can get a PIA subscription for just $2.03/month with its long-term plan. Plus, you can put it through its paces without any financial commitment. If you’re not happy with the service, you have 30 days to get a refund.
- Fast connections. On PIA’s nearby UK servers, I had a speed drop of only 8%. The ping also remained consistent at about 27 ms. I played COD: WWII without any lag.
- Dedicated IP address. For a small additional fee, you can get a dedicated IP address available exclusively to you. This provides a more stable connection for COD. Plus, having your own IP reduces the chance of unintended foul play flags due to other users' misuse of shared IPs.
|Obfuscated servers for secure COD sessions on tricky network conditions
|6,088 servers in 61 countries to play with friends worldwide
|Very fast — 6% speed drop on nearby servers
|Protect up to 6 devices at the same time
NordVPN’s obfuscated servers make it a great choice if you’re looking to play COD games on restrictive networks. Obfuscated servers disguise VPN traffic by scrambling your metadata, making it look like regular internet traffic. This is useful on networks that usually block VPNs and multiplayer games, like those in schools or universities.
Speed-wise, NordVPN doesn’t disappoint. In my tests on nearby UK servers, there was a mere 6% speed drop, and it delivered a consistent ping of 24 ms. Impressively, it held up fast speeds even when connecting to distant servers. I played Warzone Mobile on its Swedish servers and didn’t experience any lag.
A minor hiccup: the Windows app can be a bit slow to launch. But once it's up, it runs smoothly, ensuring no disruptions during your COD sessions. I had reliable connections on every server that I tried.
It comes with a 30-day money-back guarantee, so you can test it with COD completely free. If it’s not for you, it’s easy to get a full refund.
- Double VPN. This sends your traffic through 2 VPN servers instead of 1, making it even harder for hackers to initiate a DDoS attack against you. It does slow your connection, though, so I recommend routing through nearby servers to mitigate the worst of these speed drops. You can find the Double VPN servers in the drop-down server menus on the home screen.
- NordLynx protocol. Similar to ExpressVPN’s Lightway, NordVPN offers its proprietary NordLynx protocol for fast speeds and low ping. It's based on WireGuard but with added layers to fix security issues. This means you get the speed benefits of WireGuard without the privacy concerns.
|Unlimited device connections to play COD without interruptions
|3,200 servers in 100 countries to get a new IP address
|Very fast — 11% speed drop on nearby servers
|Secure as many devices as you want with one account
With Surfshark, you get unlimited connections with a single subscription. This is great for COD players who have a lot of devices or share their VPN with family. No more having to disconnect one device to make room on another — everyone in your family can use the VPN at the same time.
It has servers in 100 countries, so you can easily access bot lobbies in Call of Duty. Plus, since there are servers all over the world, it’s easy to find a nearby speedy connection for smooth gaming.
The only problem with Surfshark is that some servers can be a bit slow to connect. But I didn’t face this problem too frequently. And once I was connected, the gameplay was smooth, and there were no interruptions.
Surfshark is also backed by a 30-day money-back guarantee. If you think it’s not for you, it’s easy to get all your money back.
- Low ping. The ping was below 30 ms when I tested its London server, which let me play Call of Duty: Mobile without any lag.
- Value for money. You can get a Surfshark subscription for just $2.89/month, making it one of the most affordable options on this list, especially since you can use it on unlimited devices simultaneously. Despite being cheap, it doesn’t compromise on speed and safety.
Quick Comparison Table: COD VPN Features
The following table compares important features of a Call of Duty VPN. You'll see each VPN in terms of its server network, average speeds, simultaneous device connections, and the lowest monthly price. I’ve also included whether or not each VPN offers a dedicated router app. This makes it super easy to change settings or switch servers.
Tips on Choosing the Best Call of Duty VPN
I took into account these elements when ranking the best VPNs for Call of Duty multiplayer games. Feel free to use this as a guide to help find the right COD VPN for you.
- Fast speeds and low ping. Look for a VPN that offers fast speeds and low ping, so you can play COD games without lag. I only chose VPNs that had a speed loss of less than 20% and a ping rate of less than 40 ms on nearby servers.
- Large server network. This ensures that you can play the game in different regions with friends from abroad and access bot lobbies. Plus, if there are more servers to choose from, there will be less user load, and hence the speeds will be better. I only shortlisted VPNs that have a large global server network with plenty of location options.
- Robust security features. This way, you can protect yourself from DDoS attacks in COD and safely make in-game purchases. Each VPN in this list masks your real IP and offers DNS/IP leak protection, 256-bit encryption, and a kill switch. I used a free online tool to check for leaks, and my recommended VPNs passed these with flying colors.
- Easy-to-use apps for popular gaming devices. Make sure your VPN offers user-friendly apps for most modern devices. This includes Windows, Android, iOS, macOS, and Linux. Router support is crucial for setting any VPN up on a PlayStation or Xbox. Each VPN on this list offers native apps for popular operating systems and works with routers.
- Responsive customer support. Look for a VPN that offers reliable customer support over a variety of channels. Live chat is preferred over email or contact form, as it’s the easiest and fastest way to get help when you need it.
- Trustworthy money-back guarantee. You need to have time to test a VPN with COD, as speeds, ping, and server availability fluctuate with both. Every provider on my list offers a risk-free money-back guarantee. This way, you’ll have time to test and see if the service is right for you.
Quick Guide: How to Use a VPN to Get Easier COD Lobbies
- Get a VPN. I recommend ExpressVPN because it has an extensive and reliable server network to bypass SBMM. Plus, it delivers fast speeds and low ping for lag-free COD and CODM gaming.
- Connect to a server. Choose a location that has easier lobbies (like Argentina or Egypt). Be sure to choose as near a server as you can for low-ping, lag-free gaming.
- Start playing. Launch the game and enjoy easier lobbies.
FAQs on VPNs for Call of Duty
Can I use a VPN with CODM?
Yes — as long as you get a VPN that’s compatible with mobile devices, you can use it to play Call of Duty Mobile. Just keep in mind that CODM may ban your account for using a VPN if you use it to gain an unfair advantage. Please look into the rules surrounding in-game VPN use to make sure you don’t lose access.
What if my VPN isn't working with Call of Duty?
Not all VPNs work with COD due to their weak security features. So, it’s important to choose a VPN with robust security, like IP/DNS leak protection and a kill switch. This ensures that COD won't find out your real location and start throwing you into games in your usual region through SBMM.
If you’ve chosen a secure VPN and it’s still not working, try the following:
- Switch to a different server. It’s possible that there are some issues with the server you’re connected to. In that case, switching to a different location may resolve the issue.
- Make sure your VPN is up-to-date. If you’re running an outdated version, you’re bound to run into issues. Therefore, it’s important to use the latest version of the app.
- Re-install the VPN app. An essential file may have been corrupted. Deleting and then reinstalling the app will rewrite the corrupted file and fix the problem.
- Contact customer support. If all else fails, you can ask your VPN’s customer support for help. They may have servers, settings, or specific protocols they recommend to get you back in the game. My top VPNs offer 24/7 live chat support, which will get you the quickest response.
Can I use a VPN for COD on PlayStation, Xbox, and other consoles?
Yes, you can use a VPN for COD on PlayStation, Xbox, and other consoles. However, it's important to note that gaming consoles don't natively support VPNs. To get around this, you'll need to either install the VPN on your router or set up a virtual router on your PC. Both methods will allow your console to connect to the internet through a VPN, ensuring a secure and optimized gaming experience.
Can I play Call of Duty using a free VPN?
It’s possible, but I wouldn’t recommend it. A much better option is to use a reputable VPN with a money-back guarantee. This means you’ll get far more robust security features and unlimited speeds and bandwidth with no risk.
Free VPNs usually limit your gameplay with small server networks and high ping. They also limit the amount of data you can use to about 2–10GB per month, which you’ll burn through quickly. On top of this, they don't offer key security features to protect you from DDoS attacks. Some have even been known to share your personal information with advertisers. Free simply isn’t worth the potential cost of safety and unreliability.
Will a VPN slow down my internet and cause a high ping for COD?
A VPN will slow down your internet and increase ping to some extent, as your traffic needs to be routed through the VPN server and encrypted before reaching the game server. However, this won’t have a noticeable effect on your COD gameplay if you use a reliable VPN with fast connections.
A good VPN could even improve speeds and reduce lag if your ISP throttles your bandwidth. In some rare cases, it may even lower your ping by creating a more direct route between you and the game server.
For the best ping rates, try the following:
- Connect to a VPN server close to COD’s gaming servers.
- Connect to a VPN server close to you.
- Connect to a VPN server that’s directly between you and COD’s gaming servers.
Test each of these and see what gets you the lowest average ping.
Can I get banned for using a VPN with COD?
There are no rules stating you can’t use a VPN with COD. That said, Call of Duty’s Security and Enforcement Policy states a user may be permanently suspended if they’re using unauthorized software to gain an unfair advantage or manipulate stats. While it’s okay to use a VPN to stabilize and secure your gaming, using one to get easier lobbies could lead to action against your account.
There’s no evidence that a player exploiting this has ever been banned, but it’s a possibility you should be aware of. If you’re a professional, high-profile gamer, you may be at a higher risk. It’s best to do your own research on this to ensure that you don’t get banned.
Get the Best VPN for Call of Duty Multiplayer
A reliable VPN can vastly improve your Call of Duty gameplay in many ways, whether you play Warzone, Modern Warfare, or CODM. It can protect you from malicious attacks, secure your data and identity, and help you avoid ISP throttling. You can also use a VPN to connect to a server in a country where the game isn’t as popular, which lets you compete against bots for easy lobbies.
My favorite VPN for Call of Duty games is ExpressVPN. Its global server network, strong security features, and fast speeds make it well-suited for COD. Plus, its native router app makes setting it up and using it on consoles way less complicated than most other VPNs. And since it comes with a 30-day money-back guarantee, you can test all of ExpressVPN's features risk-free. If it doesn’t work out, you can get a full refund.
To summarize, here are the best VPNs for Call of Duty
Your data is exposed to the websites you visit!
Your IP Address:
Your Internet Provider:
The information above can be used to track you, target you for ads, and monitor what you do online.
VPNs can help you hide this information from websites so that you are protected at all times. We recommend ExpressVPN — the #1 VPN out of over 350 providers we've tested. It has military-grade encryption and privacy features that will ensure your digital security, plus — it's currently offering 49% off.