5 Best VPNs for Roku – 2019’s Fastest and Easiest to Install
Roku wasn't designed to support VPN installation, but that doesn't mean you can't connect the device to one of our top VPNs. Here's a simple trick that will let you use a VPN to bring the entire Roku streaming library to your screen. Share
Are you frustrated that you can’t stream US Netflix, Hulu, or the BBC iPlayer on your Roku device because you’re in a country where these services aren’t available?
A VPN can solve your Roku problems – if you know how to install it.
Roku brings a vast range of streaming services like Amazon Prime, Showtime, and premium sports channels to the screens of millions of Americans. However, if you’re outside the US and UK, you’ll be disappointed to learn how much of the content is geoblocked.
By hiding your location and replacing it with an IP address in a region where the content you want is available, a VPN gives you access to Roku’s full library. VPNs also protect your devices and data from threats like hackers, malware, and spying.
To get the most out of your Roku, you need a VPN that you can install on your router. You’ll also want one that allows multiple device connections simultaneously, reliably unblocks restricted sites, and offers high-speed servers around the world.
That’s a lot to consider, but our experts did the research to find the VPNs that work best with Roku. They’ve prepared a step-by-step installation guide that will have you set up and streaming in minutes.
Summary of the Best VPNs for Roku
ExpressVPN gives you ultra-fast connection speeds, strong security, and excellent geoblock bypassing capabilities, with apps available for all platforms.
An affordable and versatile VPN, NordVPN combines online security, privacy, global content access, and seamless streaming into a single service.
Great for beginners, CyberGhost combines a simple, intuitive interface with the high speeds and tough security you should expect from a premium VPN.
Don’t let this VPN’s relatively small network size fool you; it provides exactly what you need for Roku streaming and much more.
Ivacy offers lots of servers in all the major content-producing countries, along with stable connections for streaming and torrenting, all at cheap prices.
How to Install and Set Up Your VPN on Roku
The Roku streaming stick doesn’t have a built-in VPN configuration capability. In order to use a VPN, your Roku device must be connected to a VPN-enabled router or virtual router.
Also, in order to access American content through your Roku, you must create a US account.
Don’t worry; it sounds more complicated than it is. Just follows these steps and you’ll be ready to watch in no time.
Note: To create this tutorial, we used ExpressVPN as our provider. The steps are similar for all our recommended VPNs.
How to Set Up a VPN on Your Router
- Log in to your account on your VPN’s website.
- Download the manual OpenVPN configuration files for the server location you want to connect to. (Choose a US server if you want to access US content.) Note: You’ll be given a unique username and password that you’ll need later, so hold on to them.
- Navigate to your router’s control panel. (Usually it will have the address 192.168.1.1 by default, which you enter in the address bar of your browser.)
- Log in with your router credentials (usually both the username and password are “admin” unless you’ve changed them).
- Under Advanced Settings, click on VPN.
- Click on the VPN Client tab and then click on Add Profile.
- Select the OpenVPN tab and fill in the information as follows:
Description: Give your VPN connection a name, such as “ExpressVPN”
Username: Use the username you’ve been given by your VPN provider.
Password: Use the password you’ve been given by your VPN provider.
Import.ovpn file: Find the OpenVPN file you’ve downloaded and click on Upload.
- Click on OK and then Activate to activate the VPN connection.
Your VPN is now installed on your router, which means it’s ready to take your Roku experience to a whole new level! To make sure that you’re connected to your desired server location, you can run a simple DNS leak test.
Before we finish the setup process by connecting your Roku stick to your VPN, let’s look at how to create a US account to access American streaming services.
Setting Up a US Roku Account to Access US Content
If you already have a US Roku account, skip this section.
First, use any device to connect to a US VPN server. Then:
- Open your browser and go to the Roku configuration section (owner.roku.com).
- Setup an account as usual, but when you reach the country section, set it to US.
- Enter an American zip code. (This should consist of five digits, e.g. 90210.)
- Reset your Roku device by pressing and holding the Reset button on the back of the device for 15 seconds.
- When your Roku restarts, log in with your new US Roku credentials.
Almost there! Now you just need to connect your Roku device to your VPN-configured router.
Connecting Roku to Your Router with a VPN Installed
- From the Roku main menu, go to Settings and then Network.
- From the Network menu, select Wireless (Wi-Fi).
- From the Choose your network section, select your router (this should be the name you gave to the VPN connection when you configured it earlier).
- Enter the password you gave your VPN connection and click on Connect.
Once the connection is established, you’ll be ready to stream the entire Roku library, including US content, with just a few clicks on your remote!
The Best VPNs for Roku in Detail
Topping our list is ExpressVPN, based in the British Virgin Islands. This VPN is extremely fast and an ideal choice for gaming and streaming HD content on all your devices, including Roku through your router.
With over 3,000 servers in more than 90 countries, you can use ExpressVPN to access almost any restricted website, including Netflix US, Amazon Prime, Hulu, and the BBC iPlayer, without speed or bandwidth limits. No wonder it’s a crowd favorite.
ExpressVPN’s proven no-logging policy, strong encryption, and advanced security measures such as a kill switch, split tunneling, and DNS leak protection make your Roku streaming secure and surveillance-proof.
In addition to using it for Roku, you can run ExpressVPN’s polished and user-friendly apps on 5 devices at the same time. It’s excellent for both beginners and pros, and offers top-quality 24/7 live chat support.
ExpressVPN’s relatively high price tag might seem daunting at first, but there’s a 30-day money-back guarantee, along with a 7-day free trial for the mobile apps.
ExpressVPN can unblock:
- Netflix, Hulu, HBO, Amazon Prime Video, Showtime, Sling TV, DAZN, and BBC iPlayer.
- Yes, all servers support P2P activity.
ExpressVPN works on these devices:
- Windows, macOS, Android, iOS, Android TV, Linux, Chrome, and Firefox. It also offers an app for use with certain routers.
Panama – a safe haven for VPNs – hosts the do-it-all, globally popular NordVPN. While most VPNs excel in specific areas, NordVPN shines across every VPN function, including privacy protection, security, speed, stability, and overcoming geoblocks.
Nord VPN backs up a strict no-logging policy with top-shelf AES 256-bit encryption and advanced security features like Double VPN to keep you completely anonymous as it unlocks heavily restricted sites.
With 5,000+ servers in more than 60 countries, including many servers optimized for HD streaming, you will be able get the most out of Roku with this VPN.
NordVPN works on all major platforms and you can easily set it up on your router to stream Roku on 6 devices at the same time. The provider’s apps, though not super attractive, are extremely easy to use and equipped with many features, including a kill switch.
Try out NordVPN risk-free with a 30-day money-back guarantee.
NordVPN can unblock:
- Netflix, HBO, Hulu, Showtime, BBC iPlayer, Amazon Prime Video, and Sling TV.
- Yes, P2P specialty servers available.
NordVPN works on these devices:
- Windows, macOS, Android, iOS, Android TV, Linux, Chrome, and Firefox. It’s also compatible with routers.
Based in privacy-friendly Romania, CyberGhost is a rising VPN service with a rapidly growing collection of enthusiastic user reviews.
It has a large network of 6,000+ servers in over 90 countries and can slice through tough geo-restrictions at lighting-fast speeds. You’ll have no trouble streaming your favorite services on Roku, including Netflix-US, in HD.
CyberGhost keeps absolutely no logs and arms its network with strong encryption and security add-ons like a kill switch and DNS leak prevention. However, it doesn’t offer more sophisticated features like Double VPN or split tunneling.
CyberGhost is also popular for its visually rich and engaging apps that can be easily installed on all major platforms and used on 7 devices simultaneously. There are preset profiles for anonymous browsing, torrenting, and streaming.
There’s a professional support team available 24/7 via live chat to assist you. And if you’re still not convinced that CyberGhost is worth its very affordable price, there’s a 7-day free trial for most devices and a 45-day money-back guarantee.
CyberGhost can unblock:
- Dedicated streaming profile with servers optimized for: Netflix, BBC iPlayer, Sky Go, Hulu, Comedy Central, Eurosport, ESPN, and others.
- Yes; dedicated profile shows countries and number of users.
CyberGhost works on these devices:
- Windows, macOS, Android, iOS, Amazon Fire Stick, Android TV, Linux, and Chrome.
Popular and budget-friendly, PrivateVPN proves that small can be beautiful. Its network of 100+ servers in 50+ countries won’t grab your attention, but it’s a surprisingly powerful and fast service to get over tough geo-restrictions securely and anonymously.
If you want topnotch security and encryption but don’t mind going without advanced features like DoubleVPN, then you won’t have any problems with PrivateVPN. It’s super secure and offers a kill switch in all its apps.
Moreover, it’s compatible with all popular operating systems and you can easily set it up on your router to stream restricted Roku services on up to 6 devices simultaneously.
PrivateVPN also allows P2P on some of its servers without data caps or speed limits. It doesn’t have a live chat channel, but the email support team is amazing.
See what other users say about this impressive VPN, or take PrivateVPN for a spin yourself using the 30-day money-back guarantee.
PrivateVPN can unblock:
- Netflix, Hulu, HBO, Hotstar, Amazon Prime Video, and BBC iPlayer.
- Yes, all servers support P2P activity; list of P2P-optimized servers available through the app.
PrivateVPN works on these devices:
- Windows, macOS, Android, and iOS.
Singapore-based Ivacy has come a long way since its launch in 2007. With its new cheaper prices and improved features, it has everything you need for Roku streaming on a tight budget.
Ivacy doesn’t keep logs and secures your connection with military-grade, AES 256-bit encryption, multi-protocol support, a kill switch, and virus protection.
Its network has over 450 servers spread across more than 100 locations to give you access to geoblocked sites without hassles. Ivacy is easy to set up on routers and offers stable streaming on Roku.
Even better, if you also have a Kodi device, Ivacy has a dedicated app for it.
You’ll get 5 connections per account, unlimited bandwidth, P2P support, and fast downloading speeds.
Take advantage of the 30-day money-back guarantee to decide yourself. Or take a look at our collection of over 200 user testimonials to learn more about how this lesser-known VPN has steadily climbed up our rankings.
No access to geoblocked content? No way to install a VPN directly on your Roku stick? No problem! Now that you know how to install the best VPNs for Roku on your router, you’ll have easy access to every show and service available in the US, and so much more.
We want you to get the most out of all your digital devices, including your digital wallet! Once you’ve used the available free trials to find the perfect VPN for your router, Roku, and other devices, visit our coupon codes page for all the best deals on the VPNs you can trust.