5 Best VPNs for Roku – Fastest and Easiest to Install in 2020
Roku media players offer access to tons of apps and streaming services, but your location and IP address can limit you from enjoying all the content you want to see.
The solution to this problem is a VPN. The right VPN can overcome geoblocking so you can enjoy movies and TV shows that would otherwise be out of reach. There are many from which to choose, but my top pick is NordVPN, because it blasts through geo-restrictions and offers incredible speeds.
Finding a VPN that’s compatible with Roku can be frustrating and time-consuming because you can’t just pick a service and go. I’ve expertly explored and rigorously tested dozens of VPNs to find those that will really work.
Short on time? Here are the best VPNs for Roku
- NordVPN – My favorite because it offers incredibly quick performance, top-notch security, and low prices.
- ExpressVPN – Fast speeds for high-definition streaming with no buffering.
- CyberGhost – Easy-to-use for VPN newbies, with optimized streaming services.
- Surfshark – Impressive server coverage and unlimited simultaneous connections.
- PrivateVPN – Great speeds and user-friendly interface for streaming.
Why do you need a VPN?
Most of the streaming services on Roku, including Amazon Prime Video, BBC iPlayer, and Netflix, use geoblocks to control what you watch based on your location.
This means that if you live in the US, your access is limited to US-based content. Likewise, if you live in Australia, Hong Kong, or the UK, you can’t watch anything from the US, including the US Netflix library.
You can use a premium VPN to bypass these blocks. VPNs mask your IP address to make it look like you’re streaming from another country. So if you’re in Canada and want to stream BBC iPlayer, you just need to connect to a UK server.
Another benefit of using a VPN is that it can prevent throttling, which is when your ISP slows down your connection based on what you’re doing. If you often encounter slow speeds and buffering because you stream a lot, a VPN can help.
Quick Guide – How to Access Roku with a VPN
- Purchase a VPN. My top recommendation is NordVPN.
- Install the VPN on your router. Check out our handy guide below to learn how.
- Connect your Roku device to your WiFi.
- Access the VPN interface to connect to a server in the country of the content you want to access.
- Now you’re ready to start streaming all your favorite shows on Roku!
The Best VPNs for Roku in 2020
I’ve rigorously tested 30 premium services to narrow down this list of the 10 best VPNs for Roku. We’ll keep an eye on these VPNs and keep testing new ones to ensure this list is always up to date.
An important note to remember: If you’re unable to access a streaming service, it’s possible that the vendor’s IP address has been blocked. Try switching to another server to get around the restriction.
Fastest VPN for Roku and my #1 recommendation
NordVPN’s Key Features
- 5,400+ servers worldwide
- Fastest VPN
- Dedicated IP addresses
- 256-bit encryption
- SmartPlay feature for streaming
- Connect up to six devices simultaneously
- Works with: Netflix, Disney+, Sky Go, Hulu, HBO GO, and Amazon Prime Video
- Compatible with: Roku, macOS, iOS, Windows, Android, Linux, browsers, and routers
NordVPN has over 5,400 servers in 55+ countries, and it continues to update its network every day. It boasts the highest US coverage of any other VPN with 1,800+ servers, so you’ll have no trouble accessing US services like Netflix and Hulu.
You’ll also enjoy fast connections, which our rigorous speed testing has shown can increase your connection speed by up 25%, making it the fastest VPN you’ll find. Its speeds ensure high-definition streaming without any buffering.
Particularly useful for Roku is NordVPN’s dedicated IP addresses, which are included with your subscription.
Why is this feature important? Securing a permanent IP address means only you have access to the IP address, making it undetectable to Netflix’s VPN screening process.
A unique NordVPN feature is its SmartPlay, which combines VPN technology with Smart DNS. SmartPlay is automatic: Just connect to a server in the country of your choice, and the feature takes over, bypassing geo-blocks and encrypting your data, without the need for any manual configuration.
NordVPN protects your data with military-grade encryption, so no one can sneak a peek at your login details or even know what you’re doing online. It also offers an automatic kill switch and a strict no-logs policy.
With NordVPN, you’re allowed up to six simultaneous connections. As all the traffic through your router counts as one connection, you have five more slots available to protect devices at other locations or to share with friends and family.
Ready to try the service? You can do so now risk-free thanks to its 30-day money-back guarantee. And if you run into any issues, there’s 24/7 live chat you can turn to for help.
Want to know more? Explore our NordVPN review to see the full results of our research and testing.
Best for bypassing geo-blocks with high speeds
ExpressVPN’s key features
- 3,000+ VPN servers worldwide
- Incredible speeds
- Automatic kill switch
- Five simultaneous connections
- State-of-the-art encryption with a zero-logging policy
- Works with: Amazon Prime Video, Netflix, CBC, NBC, HBO GO, Hulu
- Compatible with: Roku, macOS, iOS, Apple TV, Windows, Android, Chrome, Firefox
ExpressVPN is a reliable VPN with 3,000+ servers across 90+ countries. It pairs this with incredible speeds. My connection speed didn’t slow at all, even when I connected to a US server from Australia.
ExpressVPN offers leading security features, including best-in-class encryption. It uses the OpenVPN protocol and military-grade 256-bit encryption.
It also has a zero-logging policy, an automatic kill switch, and DNS leak protection. This means it won’t store any of your info; and if your VPN connection drops, your IP address, internet activity, and personal info won’t be exposed.
ExpressVPN regularly refreshes its VPN IP addresses. This helps avoid detection by streaming services like Netflix, who often block VPNs.
ExpressVPN offers apps for all popular devices and platforms, so you can also use it directly with cell phones, laptops, smart TVs, and more. Five simultaneous connections allows you to protect other devices that may not connect to the internet through your router.
As you’ll receive unlimited bandwidth, you’ll never have to worry about data limits, so you can stream for hours at a time.
You can try ExpressVPN with no risk with its 30-day money-back guarantee. If you need help, you have access to 24/7 chat.
Want to know more? Explore our ExpressVPN review to see the full results of our research and testing.
Easiest-to-use VPN for Roku
CyberGhost’s Key Features
- 6,100+ VPN servers worldwide
- Streaming-optimized servers and easy set-up
- Incredibly fast speeds
- Highest security encryption
- Automatic kill switch and no-log policy
- Dedicated IP addresses
- Connect up to seven devices simultaneously
- Works with: Amazon Prime, Netflix, Hulu, HBO Now,
- Compatible with: Roku, macOS, iOS, Android, Windows, Linux, and even routers
CyberGhost has one of the largest global networks with 6,100 servers, with hundreds alone in the US, the UK, the Netherlands, France, and Canada. This means you can log in without worrying about overcrowding or lagging issues.
Are you new to VPNs and slightly intimidated by them? I found CyberGhost to be simple to set up and use, with a clear, intuitive interface. As a matter of fact, everything about this VPN is easy.
Its streaming-optimized servers ensure reliability, speed, and stability so you can use Roku to view content from around the globe.
Its quick speeds will keep you streaming with no lags or buffering. It even offers data compression to reduce your data usage and increase loading times.
CyberGhost offers the highest security encryption, 256-bit AES, to meet your privacy needs. Staying anonymous is vital for protecting your online identity, so it also includes features like DNS leak protection, an automatic kill switch, and a no-log policy for added security.
Streaming services work hard to restrict VPNs, so some IP addresses you come across may be blocked. To help you overcome this issue and stream on Roku without hassle, CyberGhost offers dedicated IP addresses. Using the same, static address lets you bypass anti-VPN software through what’s essentially a private connection.
Want to help friends and family who also enjoy streaming on Roku? With up to seven simultaneous connections, you can add their devices to your subscription.
If you’ve decided CyberGhost is the right VPN for you, save some cash by checking out active coupons. You can also test out the service courtesy of its 45-day money-back guarantee.
Want to know more? Explore our CyberGhost review to see the full results of our research and testing.
Use Roku and more with unlimited simultaneous connections
Surfshark’s Key Features
- 1,400+ VPN servers worldwide in 61 countries
- Fast and secure speeds
- Automatic kill switch and no-logging policy
- Military-grade 256-bit encryption
- Connect an unlimited amount of devices simultaneously
- Works with: Netflix, Hulu, HBO, ESPN, ShowTime
- Compatible with: Roku, macOS, iOS, Android, Windows, Firefox, Chrome, Linux
Surfshark has over 1,400+ servers worldwide in 61 countries. While it doesn’t have as many servers as the other VPNs on this list, it does have the speed that you need.
You need high-speed connections for streaming high definition. Otherwise, you’re stuck watching loading screens or suffering through buffering. I thoroughly tested Surfshark on my device and found it has the speeds necessary to access streaming services like Netflix.
Surfshark uses many features to keep your online identity secure and hidden. It features an automatic kill switch and has a no-logging policy, so your personal information can’t be accessed and is never stored.
With military-grade 256-bit encryption, there’s no chance of anyone snooping through your info, much less see what you’re doing online. Surfshark also has DNS and IP leak protection. This stops security flaws in your browser from revealing your DNS requests and real IP address.
Surfshark’s MultiHop feature adds an extra layer of security, allowing you to log onto a server and connect to multiple locations for even more privacy.
If you’re tired of limits, you’ll be happy to hear that Surfshark gives you unlimited bandwidth and data, so you can stream your favorite shows without any restrictions.
You’re also allowed unlimited simultaneous connections. This is a valuable feature if you plan to use your VPN in many different locations or have multiple devices that won’t be connecting to the internet through your router.
If you’re ready to get started, check out our Surfshark coupons to find one that can save you some money. If you sign up and aren’t happy, you can always take advantage of its 30-day money-back guarantee.
Want to know more? Explore our Surfshark review to see the full results of our research and testing.
Best customer-oriented VPN for Roku
PrivateVPN’s Key Features
- 150+ VPN servers in over 60 countries
- Reliable speeds and user-friendly interface
- Military-grade encryption, an automatic kill switch, and a no-logs policy
- Connect up to six devices simultaneously
- 24/7 live chat and free remote assistance
- Works with: Netflix, Hulu, HBO, Amazon Prime Video
- Compatible with: Roku, macOS, iOS, Android, Windows, browsers, and routers
PrivateVPN has 150+ VPN servers in over 60 countries. This isn’t a lot, but the smaller network doesn’t impact performance, so it’s still a good option as a Roku VPN.
One thing that really sets this VPN apart from others is its commitment to customers. PrivateVPN’s interface is simple and user-friendly for beginners. But it also allows you to choose between easy or advanced modes in case you have more experience.
The service’s commitment continues through installation. If you run into any issues, you can use its live chat 24 hours a day. Still need help? PrivateVPN will connect with you remotely through TeamViewer to get set up.
Connection speed is very important when using a device like Roku, and PrivateVPN does a decent job. During my tests, I experienced fast speeds when I connected to servers in the US, Asia, and Europe. However, I found servers in other countries, like Australia, were a little slower.
PrivateVPN uses 256-bit AES encryption, which is one of the highest levels of encryption available. It’s so tough that many government and military agencies use it. This guarantees that your online identity will remain secure and hidden.
It also features an automatic kill switch and a no-logs policy, so your data won’t be leaked or shared with any surveillance agencies, hackers, or third parties.
Although PrivateVPN is located in Sweden, which is part of the 14-Eyes Alliance jurisdiction, it’s strongly committed to its no-logging policy and allows you to stream anonymously.
Need to protect devices not connected through your router? PrivateVPN allows up to six simultaneous connections, so you can use it at home, at the office, and anywhere in between.
As part of its commitment to the customer, PrivateVPN offers a free trial, plus a 30-day money-back guarantee. This allows you to try it out with no risk.
Want to know more? Explore our PrivateVPN review to see the full results of our research and testing.
Best censorship-fighting VPN for Roku
VyprVPN’s Key Features
- 70+ global server locations
- Military-grade encryption
- Chameleon protocol to bypass geo-restrictions and censorship
- Works with: Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime Video, BBCiPlayer
- Compatible with: Roku, Windows, macOS, iOS, Android and smart TVs
VyprVPN boasts over 2 million users worldwide with 70+ global server locations. With access to over 200,000 IP addresses, you can easily connect to local servers and stream on Roku.
I found that the VyprVPN app is user-friendly and quick to set up. I tested US servers to see if I could access Netflix, and I had no issues.
This was thanks to VyprVPN’s Chameleon protocol, which makes your traffic undetectable so you can bypass VPN blocks. It blasted through Netflix’s geo-restrictions quickly.
However, I did initially experience slower speeds as I am located very far from US servers. Despite this, I could stream on Roku with minimal buffering.
Another security feature you can count on is an automatic kill switch that cuts off your connection if there is a VPN disruption. You’re also protected by 256-bit encryption so your online identity is impenetrable.
If you don’t want to commit to VyprVPN just yet, check out its 30-day money-back guarantee. There’s also 24/7 customer support if you need help with setup or anything else.
Want to know more? Explore our VyprVPN review to see the full results of our research and testing.
Includes unlimited bandwidth for Roku and more
IPvanish’s Key Features
- 1,300+ anonymous VPN servers in 75+ locations
- Unlimited bandwidth
- 256-bit encryption and a no-logs policy
- Connects with: Netflix, Hulu, CNN, Amazon Prime
- Compatible with: Roku, Windows, macOS, iOS, Android, Fire TV, and routers
IPvanish has 1,300+ servers with over 40,000 shared IP addresses, which means you can count on reliable and fast connections.
If you’re looking to endlessly stream on Roku, I found IPvanish was pretty consistent with few buffering issues. With its unlimited bandwidth, you can access all your favorite streaming services and watch episode after episode.
During my thorough tests, it successfully bypassed geo-restrictions for several services. All I had to do was connect to a US server for US Netflix and a UK server for BBC iPlayer, and I was instantly streaming on my Roku device.
It also uses 256-bit encryption, so your data is virtually impossible to read, and includes an automatic kill switch and DNS leak protection, so your information is protected and safe at all costs.
If you want to try IPvanish today, you can use its 7-day money-back guarantee. If you have any lingering questions, just use its 24/7 live chat.
Want to know more? Explore our IPvanish review to see the full results of our research and testing.
Great VPN for newbies with affordable prices
Zenmate’s Key Features
- 2,500+ servers in 37+ worldwide locations
- Fast speeds and easy installation
- Dedicated streaming profiles
- Top-grade encryption
- Works with: Netflix, Hulu, SHOWTIME, HBO GO, Amazon Prime Video
- Compatible with: Roku, Windows, macOS, iOS, Android, Firefox, Chrome
Zenmate has 2,500+ servers in over 35 locations worldwide, including the UK, the US, Romania, Germany, and Hong Kong.
It has an incredibly easy setup and installation process, and when it’s time to connect, you can do so with just one click.
With dedicated streaming profiles, you can pick from a server optimized for each streaming service, which I found convenient and reliable.
As for security, Zenmate encrypts your desktop and router traffic with 256-bit encryption, one of the strongest protocols available. For added protection, it also includes DNS leak protection, an automatic kill switch, and a no-logs policy.
If you want to try Zenmate today, check out its 7-day free trial and 30-day money-back guarantee. This VPN already has low prices, but you can browse our Zenmate coupon page to see if there are additional savings.
Want to know more? Explore our Zenmate review to see the full results of our research and testing.
Simple, straightforward interface for easy connections
UltraVPN’s Key Features
- 100+ VPN servers around the world
- User-friendly and reliable speeds
- Military-grade encryption, automatic kill switch, and a no-logs policy
- Works with: Netflix, Hulu, SHOWTIME, Amazon Prime Video
- Compatible with: Roku, Windows, macOS, iOS, Android, FireTV, and routers
UltraVPN has 100+ VPN servers on every continent but Antarctica. This is significantly less than what other premium VPNs have to offer. While the coverage is fair, covering major countries like the US, the UK, Spain, Greece, and Australia, it’s not as inclusive as I’d like.
The major drawback to having access to fewer servers is that you may encounter heavy traffic or not have any to connect to in certain countries.
However, I found that UltraVPN’s installation process is user-friendly and reliable. If there’s a server in the country of your choice, you just have to click to connect — there’s no need to manually configure anything.
Speed is important when searching for a good Roku VPN, and UltraVPN delivers. During our speed tests, we found that using UltraVPN only resulted in small drops to connection speed, even when we connected to a US server from Australia.
Like most of the premium VPNs I’ve tested, UltraVPN uses 256-bit AES encryption to protect your online identity. It also features an automatic kill switch and a no-logs policy. It’s clear that UltraVPN makes your online safety a priority.
If you want to try UltraVPN risk-free, take a look at its 30-day money-back guarantee.
Want to know more? Explore our UltraVPN review to see the full results of our research and testing.
Dedicated streaming profiles for easy Roku streaming
SaferVPN’s Key Features
- 700+ VPN servers in 34 countries
- Designed for optimized streaming
- High-grade encryption, automatic kill switch, and no-log policy
- Works with: Netflix, Hulu, Sling TV, Amazon Prime Video
- Compatible with: Roku, Windows, macOS, iOS, Android, FireTV, routers, and browsers
SaferVPN has 700+ servers in 34 countries, including specially designed servers for streaming. These optimized servers make streaming on Roku quicker, easier, and more reliable.
All you have to do is load the VPN, click “Connect”, and choose a location. From there, you’ll be streaming in seconds.
You can also mark your favorite servers so you can connect even more quickly, making this vendor one of our most user-friendly and reliable choices for streaming.
Privacy and security are important while streaming, and SaferVPN has you covered. You’ll avoid IP and data leaks thanks to its military-grade 256-bit AES encryption.
You’ll also get an automatic kill switch that cuts traffic as soon as the VPN connection is lost and a no-logs policy that promises your data is never stored.
SaferVPN offers a step-by-step guide on its site, although you probably won’t need it. I also found its agents to be incredibly helpful when I checked out the 24/7 live chat. With a 30-day money-back guarantee, SaferVPN is definitely worth a risk-free try.
Want to know more? Explore our SaferVPN review to see the full results of our research and testing.
How to Install and Set Up Your VPN on Roku
Roku streaming sticks don’t have built-in VPN configuration capability. In order to use a VPN, you must connect your Roku device to a VPN-enabled router or virtual router.
You also need to create an account for the country where you want to access content. This means creating a US Roku account to access American content.
Don’t worry, it sounds more complicated than it is. Just follow these steps, and you’ll be ready to watch in no time.
Note: To create this tutorial, I used ExpressVPN as my provider. The steps are similar for all our recommended VPNs.
How to Set Up a VPN on Your Router
- Log in to your account on your VPN’s website.
- Download the manual OpenVPN configuration files for the server location you want to connect to. Choose a US server if you want to access US content. Note: You’ll be given a unique username and password that you’ll need later, so write them down.
- Navigate to your router’s control panel. Usually, it will have the address 192.168.1.1 by default, which you enter in the address bar of your browser.
- Log in with your router credentials. Typically, the username and password are “admin” unless you’ve changed them.
- Under Advanced Settings, click on VPN.
- Click on the VPN Client tab, and then click on Add Profile.
- Select the OpenVPN tab and fill in the information as follows:
- Description: Give your VPN connection a name, such as “ExpressVPN”.
- Username: Use the username you’ve been given by your VPN provider.
- Password: Use the password you’ve been given by your VPN provider.
- Import.ovpn file: Find the OpenVPN file you’ve downloaded, and click on Upload.
- Click on OK, and then Activate to activate the VPN connection.
Your VPN is now installed on your router, which means it’s ready to take your Roku experience to a whole new level! To make sure that you’re connected to your desired server location, you can run a simple DNS leak test.
Before we finish the setup process by connecting your Roku stick to your VPN, let’s look at how to create a US account to access American streaming services. (If you already have a US Roku account, skip this section.)
Setting Up a US Roku Account to Access US Content
- First, use any device to connect to a US VPN server.
- Open your browser, and go to the Roku configuration section (owner.roku.com).
- Set up an account as usual, but when you reach the country section, set it to US.
- Enter an American zip code. (This should consist of five digits, e.g. 90210.)
- Reset your Roku device by pressing and holding the Reset button on the back of the device for 15 seconds.
- When your Roku restarts, log in with your new US Roku credentials.
Almost there! Now you just need to connect your Roku device to your VPN-configured router
Connecting Roku to Your Router with a VPN Installed
- From the Roku main menu, go to Settings and then Network.
- From the Network menu, select Wireless (Wi-Fi).
- From the Choose your network section, select your router (this should be the name you gave to the VPN connection when you configured it earlier).
- Enter the password you gave your VPN connection and click on Connect.
Once the connection is established, you’ll be ready to stream the entire Roku library, including US content, with just a few clicks on your remote!
What We Looked For in a VPN For Roku
When looking for the best VPNs for Roku, my major concerns were speed and reliability.
Streaming requires fast connections. Otherwise, you may spend your time staring at a buffering screen. I tested my top ten premium VPNs from Australia, and I connected to servers in the US, the UK, and other countries. I barely noticed any delays in streaming.
Another important component you need in a Roku VPN is reliability. Your connection needs to bypass any geo-blocks so you can stream from whichever provider you wish. These VPNs can unblock the most popular streaming services, including Netflix, Hulu, and BBC iPlayer.
Can I Use My Roku Anywhere?
Roku devices are geo-restricted to their country of origin. So if you buy a US-locked Roku player, you can only access US-based content while you’re in the US. If you take it with you to the UK, China, or Australia, you’ll be blocked from streaming US Netflix, HBO GO, and other services. The same goes for devices from any other country. To get around this issue, you need to use a VPN that can bypass geoblocks.
How Can I Install Roku VPN?
Roku doesn’t support VPN apps, so you need a work-around. To bypass geo-restrictions and protect your privacy, you need to install a VPN on your router and then connect your Roku to that router. Check out our VPNs for routers guide above for more info.
Do These VPNs Keep Log Files?
All the VPNs covered on my top 10 list keep strict no-logs policies. You can be assured that your browsing activity, IP address, or other personal information is never stored or shared.
The Bottom Line
I spent many hours testing and comparing services to create this list of the best VPNs for Roku. All of these VPNs offer the speed, reliability, and security you need to bypass geoblocks and protect your identity while streaming on Roku.
Of these VPNs, my top choice is NordVPN because it offers the best speeds and has an incredible server network that spans nearly 60 countries.
Need help using services that actively work to block VPNs? Learn how to easily bypass VPN blocks by reviewing our guide.
If you’ve already picked a service and want to save some money on your new VPN, check out this month’s best VPN deals and coupons.