How to Cancel ExpressVPN & Get a Full Refund (Tested 2021)
- Quick Guide: How to Cancel ExpressVPN & Get a Full Refund
- How to Cancel Your ExpressVPN Account
- How to Request a Refund
- ExpressVPN Money-Back Guarantee Policy
- I Canceled My ExpressVPN Subscription — Now What?
- Best Alternatives to ExpressVPN
- IPVanish — Lightning-Fast Speeds for Lag-Free Streaming and Gaming
- CyberGhost — Huge Server List to Unblock Streaming Platforms
- Private Internet Access- Great Support for Every Operating System
- FAQs on How to Cancel ExpressVPN & Get a Full Refund
- The Bottom Line
ExpressVPN is a VPN I rate highly, but I understand if it’s not for you. That’s why I tested its 30-day money-back guarantee to make sure you can quickly and easily get a full refund if you don’t love it.
However, it’s not a good idea to be without a VPN for long. Every time you connect to the internet, your information is vulnerable. That’s why I recommend IPVanish as an alternative with similar speeds and streaming performance.
Now, all you need to do is take care of your old ExpressVPN account. It’s really easy to cancel and ask for your money back from ExpressVPN, but only if you know the right trick.
Quick Guide: How to Cancel ExpressVPN & Get a Full Refund
- Log in. Enter your account details at the ExpressVPN website.
- Turn Off Automatic Renewal. You need to turn this off to prevent any future charges. You’ll find this option under “Manage Subscription Settings.”
- Request a refund. Contact ExpressVPN support and ask for a refund. I got my money back in 3 days.
ExpressVPN has a money-back guarantee that lets you test the service risk-free. You have up to 30-days to request a refund if you’re not completely satisfied with it. All you have to do is ask for your money back through its 24/7 live chat function. Just don’t forget to turn off the Automatic Renewal setting to prevent additional charges.
1. Log in. You can’t claim your refund in the ExpressVPN app, so you need to go to the ExpressVPN website and sign in to your account. This can be done by clicking on the “My Account” link.
2. Turn off automatic renewal. Once you log in, click “Manage subscription settings.” Next, select “Turn off automatic renewal.” You need to do this to make sure you don’t get charged again after you’ve canceled.
3. Choose “I have an issue…”. Pick “I have an issue and don’t want to keep using ExpressVPN.” It will give you several options that will send you to troubleshooting FAQs. Pick “other” on the final page to avoid these. Now, select “I don’t want to keep using the service” to proceed.
4. Select “Stop my service…”. On the final page, you only need to click “Stop my service on the expiration date.” After that, you’re all done! You can continue using ExpressVPN until the end of your subscription. Next, you’ll need to contact support to request your refund.
How to Cancel an Android Subscription
You can cancel with the same method as desktop users.
In the past, if you purchased through the Play store, you’d have to cancel through there. However, ExpressVPN is no longer for sale in the Play Store. So, if you have ExpressVPN on your Android, it was purchased at some point through the ExpressVPN website. If you’re looking for a suitable replacement, then you can find the top VPNs for Android here.
If you’ve bought ExpressVPN through the App store, you’ll have to cancel through Apple. Luckily, it’s straightforward.
- Go to “Settings.” Once you’ve accessed your phone settings, find your name.
- Select “Subscription.” This will show you all the subscriptions you pay for.
- Choose “ExpressVPN subscription.” Now, you can see your ExpressVPN settings.
- Tap “Cancel Subscription.” That’s it. You’ve canceled your subscription.
You’ll also have to request your refund through Apple support. To do this, you’ll need to visit reportaproblem.apple.com. Once you sign in, you’ll see your ExpressVPN subscription, and you can click “Report a Problem” to request your refund. You can tell them about ExpressVPN’s 30-day money-back guarantee, but Apple won’t be obligated to honor it. To find a VPN that’s a better fit for you, check out this list of the top VPNs for iOS.
To request a refund, you need to access the live chat service or send ExpressVPN an email. Canceling via live chat is much more convenient because you’ll usually get an instant response to your query. Here’s how to do it:
1. Open live chat. Click on the button in the lower-right corner of the ExpressVPN website called “Need help? Chat with us!”
2. Start a chat. Ask them to cancel your subscription and claim a refund. Make sure you provide them with the details they ask for, such as your email address.
3. Wait for approval. Go along with the chat until you get confirmation and approval of your refund.
The support team member told me it would take 5-7 business days to receive a refund. So, I was surprised when I got all of my money back after 3 business days. I also received a confirmation email once the refund was confirmed.
Until the process is complete, you will still have access to your account. You should also be aware that how fast you receive a refund may depend on your bank or the payment method you use; PayPal is the fastest.
Overall, it was an easy, straightforward process, and I especially like the 24/7 chat function. I appreciate not having to wait for an email response. In my experience, you normally get a response in under a minute.
ExpressVPN Money-Back Guarantee Policy
ExpressVPN is backed by a 30-day money-back guarantee so you can buy with confidence. If you aren’t satisfied with it, you now know how to get a full refund. You are eligible for this policy no matter what length of subscription you choose or what your reason for cancellation is.
It’s also important to remember that this is 30 days, not one month. That means if you signed up at noon on July 1st, it expires at noon on July 30th. In addition, if you change plans or upgrade, this will waive your money-back guarantee. Lastly, it’s possible to receive a refund after 30 days. You’ll need to prove the service was unusable in the time period and that you attempted to contact support.
I Canceled My ExpressVPN Subscription — Now What?
ExpressVPN might not have been the right service for you. If the price was your reason for canceling, I don’t recommend testing a new service using a free trial to save money. They are usually super limited in their features and don’t provide a good impression of how the VPN actually works in the long term.
That’s why I’ve put together a list of the best alternatives to ExpressVPN. Each one offers great prices and comes with a money-back guarantee so you can test all the unique features out before you commit. Choose one today to make sure you stay protected online and get back to unrestricted streaming, gaming, and browsing as soon as possible.
Best Alternatives to ExpressVPN
- Superfast speeds let you stream and play games with zero lag
- 1,900+ servers to help you unblock streaming platforms
- Unlimited simultaneous device connections
- 30-day money-back guarantee
- Can unblock: Netflix, Disney+, HBO Max, Amazon Prime Video, BBC iPlayer, Vudu, and more
- Compatible with: Windows, Mac, iOS, Android, Linux, routers, Apple TV, and more
IPVanish has tremendous speeds that provide a smooth online experience. I performed speed tests on 7 different US servers, and my speeds didn’t drop by more than 20%. Even with this drop in speeds, I didn’t notice any difference when conducting my online activities. Wherever you are in the world, you can stream your favorite shows and play games without any lag.
Its server network lets me unblock a wide variety of platforms. I was able to unblock Disney+, HBO Max, Amazon Prime Video, and Netflix without any issues. Accessing each site took me less than 15 seconds each time. Therefore, you’ll be able to watch your favorite streaming shows from anywhere.
It also has a strict no-logs policy, so you can trust them with your data. The company stores zero information on your connection or activity to ensure that your privacy is never compromised. This means you can be confident IPVanish will never share your information because it doesn’t keep any of it.
The military-grade encryption IPVanish utilizes will keep your data safe. It uses 256-bit encryption, which means the key to your data is hidden in a number 78 digits long. It would take the most advanced computers in the world thousands of years to crack that code. So, it’s nearly impossible for anyone to find your crucial information when you’re connected.
One negative is that it stopped offering its 7-day free trial. However, I did find a new offer that lets you get a subscription for only $3.75/month.
It also has a great money-back guarantee that lets you try it for 30-days risk-free. However, be aware that you’re only eligible for the money-back guarantee if you purchase a yearly subscription. The best part is you don’t even need to contact support. I tried it out to see how this works. It was as easy as logging in, finding the subscription tab, and clicking the “I wish to cancel my subscription” button. It promises to return your money within 3 days and backs up its claim. I got all of my money back in 3 business days without having to go back and forth with anyone.
- Impressive speeds that let you stream buffer-free
- 7,190 servers including ones optimized for Torrenting, Streaming, and Gaming
- 7 simultaneous device connections
- 45-day money-back guarantee
- Can unblock: Netflix, BBC iPlayer, Hulu, HBO Max, Showtime, Amazon Prime Video, and more
- Compatible with Mac, Windows, Linux, Android, iOS, Roku, gaming consoles, and more
CyberGhost has streaming optimized servers for popular streaming sites. I bypassed geo-restrictions to stream on Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, HBO Max, BBC iPlayer, and Disney+ with no issues. CyberGhost constantly updates its streaming servers to make sure it removes banned locations. This makes CyberGhost one of the best VPNs for streaming.
The fast speeds it provides let you watch movies in buffer-free HD. I performed tests on 8 CyberGhost servers and was impressed with the results. CyberGhost never dropped my speeds by more than 25%. So, you’ll be able to watch smooth streams with zero loading times.
It also offers NoSpy servers that provide extra security, but you need to be on at least a yearly plan to access them. NoSpy servers are housed in private data centers owned and operated by CyberGhost in Romania, outside the 14 Eyes Alliance. They cut out any third-party involvement to ensure that your data is never compromised.
Its strict no-logs policy makes CyberGhost a trustworthy company to handle your data. Information on your IP and online activities is never stored. You can even pay with cryptocurrency to keep all of your information completely anonymous during the transaction.
One negative is that short-term plans only give you a 14-day money-back guarantee. However, you’ll save a ton of money in the long run with a more extended plan and get access to NoSpy servers. Right now, it even lets you get 83% off on your new account.
To test its 45-day money-back guarantee, I asked for a refund through its live chat. The support agent was very helpful and processed my cancellation after asking why I was leaving. In 5 days, I had the full refund back in my account.
- Good speeds that let you stream buffer-free
- 29,650 servers to help you unblock streaming sites
- 10 simultaneous device connections
- 30-day money-back guarantee
- Can unblock: Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, HBO Max, Disney+, BBC iPlayer, Crunchyroll
- Compatible with Mac, Windows, Linux, Android, and iOS
Private Internet Access is compatible with every major device. This includes a full GUI for Linux, which Linux users know is rare. It also has apps available for Windows, Android, iOS, and browser extensions for Chrome, Firefox, and Opera. So, there’s a great version of Private Internet Access available for you no matter what device or OS you prefer.
It has an enormous amount of locations with 29,650 servers available to unblock several streaming platforms. In my streaming tests, I accessed HBO Max, Disney+, Netflix, and Amazon Prime Video. Each one worked on the first try, and my videos loaded up in seconds. Having so many servers makes it a solid VPN for streaming that lets you watch platforms from all over the world.
The only minor issue is that it’s located in the United States, a country that’s part of the 14 Eyes Alliance. However, the company has a proven track record of protecting online privacy. On several occasions, it has been court-ordered to provide information on its customers, and it never had anything to give. It may be based in the United States, but its no-logs policy is serious, and PIA won’t share your data with anyone.
By using its 30-day money-back guarantee, you can try Private Internet Access out risk-free. I used its 24/7 live chat function to request a refund and test this out. My money was returned to me in 6 days.
FAQs on How to Cancel ExpressVPN & Get a Full Refund
How do I cancel ExpressVPN on an iPhone?
You need to cancel your ExpressVPN subscription in your iPhone’s settings. Tap your name in the settings menu, select “Subscriptions”, and choose ExpressVPN. Tap “Cancel Subscription” and your account will be deactivated.
Unfortunately, ExpressVPN can’t guarantee that its 30-day money-back guarantee will be upheld by Apple, but I recommend asking them for the refund.
Does ExpressVPN have a monthly subscription?
Yes, you can get a monthly subscription for ExpressVPN. And while ExpressVPN can be more expensive than some other VPNs, more extended plans save you quite a bit. A yearly plan is roughly 35% less than a monthly one overall. It also offers deals from time to time and right now you can save 49% on your subscription.
How long does it take to get your money back after canceling ExpressVPN?
The amount of time your refund takes depends on your bank. I received my money back in 3 days and it only took me 5 minutes to get my refund approved in the 24/7 live chat. Overall, the process was quick and easy.
Can you cancel ExpressVPN and get a refund at any time?
Yes, you can, but it’s important to know the subscription doesn’t end when you cancel. You will still have access to the service as long as you paid for it and have 30-days to get a refund — regardless of your plan. It’s also important to remember; you can only receive a refund if you request it within the 30-day money-back guarantee period.
What are the reasons you might not get a refund from ExpressVPN?
The 2 reasons are if you order through the Apple Store or forget to turn off automatic renewal. Payments through the Apple store send no billing information to ExpressVPN, so it can’t guarantee your refund will be granted. When you don’t turn off automatic renewal, it’s possible you may be billed again even if you cancel over the chat.
The Bottom Line
I recommend ExpressVPN because of its fast speeds and excellent security, but I understand it’s not right for everyone. Even if you use the latest ExpressVPN discounts, it’s still not the cheapest VPN you can find. It doesn’t come with an ad-blocker either, which can be quite inconvenient at times.
You don’t have to stick with a subscription you don’t want, thanks to ExpressVPN’s 30-day money-back guarantee. I found its refund process quick and easy.
Once you’ve got your ExpressVPN refund, you need to pick a VPN that suits your needs. If you’re looking for a service with comparable speeds for streaming and gaming, you should try IPVanish. It’s super user-friendly, reliable, and secure – plus, you can get up to 66% off with its new deal.
The best alternatives to ExpressVPN in 2021 are…
Your data is exposed to the websites you visit!
Your IP Address:
Your Internet Provider:
The information above can be used to track you, target you for ads, and monitor what you do online.
VPNs can help you hide this information from websites so that you are protected at all times. We recommend ExpressVPN — the #1 VPN out of over 350 providers we've tested. It has military-grade encryption and privacy features that will ensure your digital security, plus — it's currently offering 49% off.