How to Cancel ExpressVPN and Easily Get a Refund in 2024
- Quick Guide: How to Cancel ExpressVPN and Get a Full Refund
- How to Cancel Your ExpressVPN Account and Get a Refund
- What is ExpressVPN’s Money-Back Guarantee Policy?
- I Canceled My ExpressVPN Subscription — Now What?
- Best Alternatives to ExpressVPN in 2024
- CyberGhost — Budget-Friendly VPN With Activity-Specific Servers
- Private Internet Access (PIA) — Customizable Security Features at an Affordable Price
- NordVPN — Threat Protection for Enhanced Online Security
- FAQs on How to Cancel ExpressVPN & Get a Full Refund
- Try an ExpressVPN Alternative Today
As someone who’s tested many different VPNs, I have to say that ExpressVPN is one of the best on the market. That said, if you want something more affordable, I totally understand. That’s why I tested ExpressVPN’s 30-day money-back guarantee to ensure you can quickly and easily get your refund.
It’s not safe to be without a VPN for long, though. Every time you connect to the internet, your information is vulnerable. That’s why I recommend Cyberghost as a low-cost alternative. It’s not as fast, but it’s still speedy enough for smooth streaming and browsing. Plus, it offers a longer money-back guarantee (with its long-term plan), so you can try it out at a steady pace.
To ensure that you get your money back from ExpressVPN, be sure to cancel your existing subscription within the money-back period. It’s a really simple and quick process, as long as you take the right steps.
Quick Guide: How to Cancel ExpressVPN and Get a Full Refund
- Log in to your ExpressVPN account. Go to the ExpressVPN website, click the “My Account” tab at the top, and enter your login details.
- Ask for a refund. Click on the live chat button on the bottom right and ask them to cancel your account and get a refund.
- Confirm your refund. Once your refund is confirmed, you just need to wait for it to arrive in your bank account. It took me 3 business days to receive mine.
How to Cancel Your ExpressVPN Account and Get a Refund
With ExpressVPN’s money-back guarantee, you have up to 30 days to request a refund if you’re not completely satisfied with it. All you have to do is ask for your money back through its 24/7 live chat function.
With subscriptions made through the Google Play Store, you have to cancel your account through your Google Play account and then request a refund through ExpressVPN.
On the other hand, subscriptions made through Apple’s App Store need to be refunded there. That means it’s up to Apple when and if you get your refund — not ExpressVPN. But as long as you’re within the money-back guarantee period, it shouldn’t be an issue.
Still, it’s always best to sign up directly through the VPN’s website to ensure you’re covered. And you can always download it to all of your devices after signing up, anyway. The steps for claiming your refund through ExpressVPN’s site are as follows:
How to Cancel & Get a Refund on ExpressVPN’s Website
- Sign in to ExpressVPN. Head over to the ExpressVPN homepage and click “My Account” on the top right. Then, enter your email address and password to sign in.
- Open live chat. Click the button in the lower-right corner that says “Need help? Chat with us!”
- Start a chat. Ask the live chat agent to cancel your subscription and claim a refund. Make sure you provide your account details when asked, such as your email address.
- Wait for approval. Go along with the chat until you get confirmation and approval of your refund.
The support team member told me it would take 5-7 business days to receive a refund. So, I was surprised when I got all of my money back in 3 business days. I also received a confirmation email following the chat, which I liked. I’m a stickler for a paper trail.
You will still have access to your account until ExpressVPN completes the refund process. You should also be aware that how quickly you receive a refund may depend on your bank or the payment method you use – PayPal is usually the fastest.
Overall, it was an easy, straightforward process, and I especially like the 24/7 chat function. I appreciate not having to wait for an email response. In my experience, you normally get a response in under a minute.
How to Cancel ExpressVPN on Android
After you cancel your subscription through Android/Google, you still have to request your refund separately through ExpressVPN. To do so, follow these steps:
- Visit “Google Play Store.” Tap the circular profile icon in the top right corner to view your account details.
- Select “Payments and Subscriptions.” All your payment-related information is shown here.
- Head to “Subscriptions.” Your ExpressVPN subscription will be listed here.
- Tap “Cancel Subscription.” Now all that’s left is getting your money back.
- Ask ExpressVPN for a refund. Head to ExpressVPN’s site and use the live chat feature to make your request. Take a look at the steps above to see how to do that.
When you sign up via the Play Store, that’s where you’ll be billed — not by ExpressVPN directly. However, you’ll still be covered by ExpressVPN’s 30-day money-back guarantee. If you’re looking for a suitable replacement, there are plenty of great VPNs for Android available.
How to Cancel ExpressVPN on iPhone
If you’ve bought ExpressVPN through the App Store, you have to cancel your subscription through Apple. Luckily, it’s straightforward.
- Go to “Settings.” Once you’ve accessed your phone settings, find your name and click it.
- Select “Subscription.” This will show you all the subscriptions you pay for.
- Choose “ExpressVPN subscription.” Now, you can see your ExpressVPN settings.
- Tap “Cancel Subscription.” That’s it. You’ve canceled your subscription.
- Submit a refund claim. Sign in to reportaproblem.apple.com, then click “Report a Problem” in the upper left corner. Where it says “I’d like to” select “Request a Refund” from the dropdown menu. Select ExpressVPN from your list of subscriptions and submit your request.
To find a VPN that’s a better fit for you, check out this list of the top VPNs for iOS.
What is ExpressVPN’s Money-Back Guarantee Policy?
ExpressVPN’s 30-day money-back guarantee covers all its plans, short and long-term. This lets you test out all its features with confidence, knowing you can easily get your money back if you’re not 100% happy with it.
As long as you request your refund within the 30 days, you’ll have no issue getting your money back. Just remember that it covers 30 days, not one month. That means if you signed up at noon on July 1st, it expires at noon on July 30th. In addition, if you change plans or upgrade, this will waive your money-back guarantee.
In a few rare cases, it’s possible to receive a refund after 30 days — for instance, if you encountered a technical error. Although, to get a refund in this situation, you’ll need to prove the service was unusable in the time period and that you attempted to contact support.
I Canceled My ExpressVPN Subscription — Now What?
ExpressVPN might not have been the right service for you. If the price was your reason for canceling, I don’t recommend testing a new service using a free trial to save money. They are usually super limited in their features and don’t provide a good impression of how the VPN actually works in the long term.
That's the reason I've compiled a list of the top substitutes for ExpressVPN. Each of them provides cost-effective prices as well as a money-back guarantee. This allows you to confirm if it's the ideal VPN for you prior to making a complete commitment. I suggest registering for an alternative prior to discontinuing ExpressVPN to prevent the potential risk of leaving your data unprotected.
Best Alternatives to ExpressVPN in 2024
Tested February 2024 Try Risk-Free for 30 Days
|Servers optimized for streaming, gaming, and torrenting
|Over 11,690 servers in 100 countries
|Netflix, Disney+, Prime Video, (HBO) Max, Hulu, BBC iPlayer, and more
CyberGhost’s streaming, gaming, and torrenting-optimized servers make it a great alternative to ExpressVPN. You can easily pick a server tailored to your needs. For example, if you’re someone who likes to game or torrent, you'll benefit from high speeds and low latency on the servers dedicated to these tasks, all without compromising on security.
And if you want to unlock more content, its streaming servers are fine-tuned to access streaming platforms from all over the world. During my tests, I could unblock Netflix US, BBC iPlayer, Disney+, Max, Hotstar, and dozens of other sites. All it took was connecting to the server that was specifically optimized for each of these platforms.
CyberGhost's rapid speeds render it a good choice for tasks requiring significant bandwidth. Our speed tests indicated an average decrease in speed of just 8%. However, the long-distance speeds didn't quite meet my expectations. The long-distance server in Brazil showed a 30% reduction in speed, which, although adequate for streaming, was notably slower compared to ExpressVPN's long-distance performance.
Its long-term plans offer great value for money — you can get CyberGhost for just $2.03/month. Monthly plans are pricier and come with a shorter money-back guarantee period. I recommend long-term options since they save you the most money. Plus, they’re backed by a 45-day money-back guarantee, so you have plenty of time to try it out.
- Strong security. CyberGhost has strong security features to keep your data safe. This includes military-grade encryption, IP/DNS leak protection, and a kill switch. It even offers a “Content Block” feature, which blocks sites used for malware.
- Privacy-focused. It’s based in Romania, which is a privacy-friendly country with no data retention laws. Plus, it has a strict and independently verified no-logs policy, meaning it doesn’t store any identifiable user data.
- NoSpy servers. These are extra secure servers housed in private data centers in Romania. Only CyberGhost staff can access them, which reduces the risk of third parties meddling with your data.
- RAM-only servers. Like ExpressVPN, all of CyberGhost’s servers are RAM-only. This means all of your data is erased every time the servers are rebooted. This ensures that your identifying data and internet history stay private.
|Plenty of advanced customization options to optimize your connection
|Over 29,650 servers in 91 countries
|Netflix, Disney+, Prime Video, (HBO) Max, Hulu, BBC iPlayer, and more
PIA offers tons of customization, so it’s great if you found ExpressVPN too simplistic for your tastes. It only offers the WireGuard and OpenVPN protocols, but you can easily modify each to optimize your connection for speed. I particularly liked that I could easily switch between 128 and 256-bit encryption with OpenVPN to improve my speed.
It also has one of the largest server networks in the industry, and I found PIA to be nearly as reliable for streaming as ExpressVPN. In my tests, I watched BBC iPlayer while using a UK server. While I came across 1 server that didn’t work with Netflix US, I could easily switch to another that worked. I never experienced connection drops or slowdowns in speeds.
Speaking of which, our dedicated speed tester had a drop of only 9% on PIA's nearby UK servers. When I tried it, I watched We Hunt Together in HD on BBC iPlayer without any lag. Plus, when I tested it for torrenting, I could download a 3GB file in under 4 minutes.
On the downside, it’s based in the US, which doesn’t have privacy-friendly laws. However, that’s not really a problem because PIA has a strict no-logs policy, which has been proven in real-life court scenarios. Plus, it’s backed by a 30-day money-back guarantee, so you can take PIA for a test run and get a refund if it’s not for you.
- Great value. With PIA, you get unlimited simultaneous device connections. This means you can cover your entire household with one subscription. The more devices you add, the cheaper it is to protect each one.
- MACE. PIA’s MACE blocks ads, trackers, and malware. I put this feature to the test on buzzfeed.com, and it got rid of all the ads and popups on the page.
- Linux GUI. PIA offers a full GUI for Linux, which is rare with applications for this OS. This makes it very easy to set it up and use.
|Advanced security features including Threat Protection
|6,105 fast and reliable servers in 61 countries
|Netflix, Disney+, (HBO) Max, Hulu, BBC iPlayer, and more
NordVPN offers something that ExpressVPN doesn’t – an ad blocker. Threat Protection blocks ads and trackers for added privacy. Plus, it also scans files you download for potential malware. If a malicious file is detected, it removes it before it can cause any harm to your device.
The speeds it offers are nearly as fast as those of ExpressVPN. For instance, when connected to nearby UK servers, we experienced only a 5% reduction in speed, as opposed to ExpressVPN's 3% drop. The decline in speed was minimal even when connected to remote US servers. This performance is partly attributed to its NordLynx protocol, engineered to deliver high speeds without compromising on security.
My only problem with NordVPN is that its apps could be a bit more user-friendly. For example, I find its World Map feature a bit tricky to use, especially when zooming in and out to choose a location. However, you can easily select a server from its regular server list.
NordVPN’s long-term plans are budget-friendly, with subscriptions starting at just $3.39/month. All the plans are backed by a 30-day money-back guarantee, so you can try it without any financial risk. If you’re not happy, it’s easy to get a full refund.
- Good for streaming. NordVPN is a good option for accessing streaming services from across the globe. In my tests, it unblocked all the platforms I tried it with, including Netflix, Max, Disney+, and BBC iPlayer.
- Strong focus on privacy. Like CyberGhost, NordVPN also uses RAM-based servers. Plus, it’s based in privacy-friendly Panama and has a strict no-logs policy to keep your online activity private.
- Double VPN. This routes your internet traffic through 2 VPN servers instead of one, encrypting your data twice. This makes it virtually impossible for cybercriminals to get hold of your data.
FAQs on How to Cancel ExpressVPN & Get a Full Refund
How long until I get my money back after canceling ExpressVPN?
It depends on your bank, but ExpressVPN usually refunds you within 7 business days. When I asked for a refund, I received my money back in 3 days. Best of all, it only took me 5 minutes to get my refund approved via the 24/7 live chat, making the process quick and easy.
Bear in mind that your payment method impacts the speed of your refund, with PayPal providing the fastest refunds of usually 1 business day.
Can you cancel ExpressVPN and get a refund at any time?
As long as you’re still within the 30-day period, you can easily get your money back. This applies to all subscription plans. However, your subscription will immediately end once you do this, meaning you won’t get access to it for any unused days you have left.
Trying to get a refund once you’re past the money-back guarantee validity is a little tricky. First, you’ll need to prove that you had a technical problem with ExpressVPN. Also, you need to show that you tried to reach customer support, but failed. If you’re in this situation, ExpressVPN may provide a partial refund based on the number of days that you couldn’t use its VPN.
Is it easy to cancel your ExpressVPN subscription, or can it be denied?
It’s super easy to cancel your ExpressVPN subscription if you follow the right steps. ExpressVPN gives you 30 days to test it risk-free, so just be sure that you claim your refund within that timeframe. However, if you exceed the refund period or if Apple denies your request, your cancellation might not go through.
Payments made through the App Store don’t send billing information to ExpressVPN. So ExpressVPN won’t approve or issue your refund in this case — Apple will. That’s why it’s always best to sign up directly through ExpressVPN’s site to guarantee you’re covered.
That said, I’ve never heard of any cases in which Apple denied a refund made within the money-back guarantee period.
Do I need to cancel auto-renewal to get my ExpressVPN refund?
Not at all! Auto-renewal will instantly be disabled when you ask ExpressVPN for a refund. You can always log into your account and cancel auto-renewal to avoid future charges. This won’t initiate a refund, though. You still have to contact ExpressVPN via live chat or email to ask for your money back.
Also, you might want to turn off automatic renewals if you plan to pause your subscription and reactivate it at a later date.
This won’t get you a refund. But it will let you use ExpressVPN until the money-back guarantee expires without rolling into a new subscription. To do so, you just need to head to “My Subscriptions” > “Edit subscription settings” > “Turn off automatic renewals.”
Do I also need to cancel my ExpressVPN free mobile trial?
Yes, you have to cancel your ExpressVPN free trial if you don't intend to subscribe. Otherwise, you'll be automatically charged at the end of the trial period. But even if you forget to cancel and get charged, you're still covered by ExpressVPN's 30-day money-back guarantee.
Try an ExpressVPN Alternative Today
Although I recommend it for fast speeds and strong security, I understand if ExpressVPN isn’t the right fit for you. Even if you use the latest ExpressVPN discounts, it’s still not the cheapest VPN on the market. It doesn’t offer an ad blocker either, unlike many other premium VPNs.
Thankfully, ExpressVPN’s 30-day money-back guarantee is reliable and straightforward. When I went through the refund process, It took less than 5 minutes to make my request and I had the money back in my account within 3 days.
If you decide to cancel ExpressVPN, it’s best to replace it with a VPN that suits your needs. For strong unblocking abilities and fast speeds, I recommend CyberGhost as an alternative. It’s user-friendly, reliable, and secure — and offers a 45-day money-back guarantee.
The best alternatives to ExpressVPN in 2024 are…
Your data is exposed to the websites you visit!
Your IP Address:
Your Internet Provider:
The information above can be used to track you, target you for ads, and monitor what you do online.
VPNs can help you hide this information from websites so that you are protected at all times. We recommend ExpressVPN — the #1 VPN out of over 350 providers we've tested. It has military-grade encryption and privacy features that will ensure your digital security, plus — it's currently offering 49% off.