How to Get an ExpressVPN Free Trial (Tested & Works in 2022)
- Quick Guide: How to Try ExpressVPN Risk-Free For 30 Days in 3 Easy Steps
- How to Try ExpressVPN Risk-Free For 30 Days
- How to Get ExpressVPN’s 7-Day Free Trial on Mobile
- ExpressVPN Free Trial Vs. Money-Back Guarantee: Which is Better?
- Why Choose ExpressVPN? It's Lighting-Fast, Reliable, and Secure
- FAQs on How to Get an ExpressVPN Free Trial
- Try ExpressVPN Risk-Free Today!
ExpressVPN's 7-day free trial gives you access to all of its features — but it's only available for mobile. So you can test its speeds, streaming abilities, and security using your iOS or Android phone or tablet, but not with your computer or other devices.
Fortunately, it also offers a 30-day money-back guarantee, so you can test it with 5 devices of your choice risk-free. With this option, you have to pay for a subscription upfront, however, if you aren't happy with it you'll have no problem claiming a refund.
When I tested the refund policy, I found the process pretty straightforward. I contacted an agent via live chat and answered a couple of user-experience related questions. Within a couple of minutes, my request was approved. I saw the money in my account again in 3 days.
- Visit the website. Navigate to the ExpressVPN website and choose a plan — they all offer the 30-day money-back guarantee, but you'll save the most on its long-term subscriptions.
- Sign up. Enter your payment details and information. Don't worry; your payment is risk-free and fully refundable within the money-back period!
- Test out ExpressVPN! Once your subscription is activated, you can try it on up to 5 devices at once and stream, game, torrent, and browse with industry-leading security.
It’s quick and easy to install ExpressVPN and test it out risk-free for 30 days. Here’s a step-by-step guide to help you get it set up within minutes.
- Visit the ExpressVPN homepage. Go to the ExpressVPN site, then select “Get ExpressVPN.” This will bring you directly to their pricing list.
- Choose the length of your plan. Every plan offers a money-back guarantee and is full-featured — but the biggest savings is in the long-term plan. However, if you’re not sure you’re ready for a long-term subscription, you can choose the 1-month plan for your testing period, which will cost less upfront. Once you've selected a subscription, enter your email and payment details.
- Take note of your activation code. This will appear on the next screen after your email and payment information are processed. Then, you just need to click "Download" to get the app set up on your device (it already knows what device you’re using).
- Paste your activation code in the app. The app launches automatically once it's installed. Then, select your preferences — you can choose to have the app start automatically when you use your device and opt for/against sending error reports.
- Enjoy using ExpressVPN for 30 days risk-free! This gives you plenty of time to test it with the most popular streaming sites, browsing, gaming, torrenting, and more.
- If it's not for you, you can claim a refund. As long as it's within the money-back period, it's not difficult to get your money back. You can make your request via email or its live chat feature.
- Check your account for your returned payment. This can take up to 7 business days — however, I had the money back in 3 days.
How to Get ExpressVPN’s 7-Day Free Trial on Mobile
ExpressVPN's 7-day free trial is available for iOS and Android users. Keep in mind, you can only use it on 1 of those devices at once. The following instructions show you how to set it up on iPhone, but the steps for Android are not much different.
- Visit your phone's app store. Locate the ExpressVPN app and download it from either Google Play or the App Store. Once the app is downloaded, tap "Start 7-Day Free Trial".
- Select your plan. You'll be prompted to choose between a 1 month or 12-month plan. But don't worry, you won't be charged at this point. This is the subscription your app will revert to, should you choose to continue using ExpressVPN after your trial ends.
- Test the app on your mobile phone. Once the app is set up, you can get straight to testing its speeds, security, streaming abilities, and more.
- Manage your subscription. Before your trial period is over, you can manage your subscription within your phone's settings. This will give you the option to select a different plan or cancel your subscription. As long as you cancel within the 7-day trial period, you won't be charged.
If you’re ready to commit to a subscription, then ExpressVPN offers a money-back guarantee. This isn’t meant to be used as a free trial, but it gives you assurance that if you’re not happy with ExpressVPN after 30 days of using it, you can claim a full refund without hassle. Since you’re essentially signing up for a subscription, there are less limitations than using the free trial for mobile, namely, you can use it on up to 5 devices at once.
On the other hand, the free trial does not require any payment. However, it only allows you to test the service for 7 days. On top of this, the free trial is limited to just 1 mobile device. So, you won't be able to try it with your computer, smart TV, game console, or router.
Why Choose ExpressVPN? It's Lighting-Fast, Reliable, and Secure
- Superfast speeds for uninterrupted streaming, gaming, torrenting, and browsing
- Military-grade encryption, a strict no-logs policy, and an automatic kill switch protects the personal information
- 5 simultaneous device connections
- Works with: Netflix, Disney+, HBO Max, Hulu, BBC iPlayer, Vudu, YouTube TV, and more
- Compatible with: Windows, Mac, iOS, Android, Linux, browsers, game consoles, smart TVs, routers, and more
ExpressVPN is superfast, so you can enjoy your favorite online activities free from interruptions. From the 4 locations I tested (the US, the UK, Costa Rica, and Brazil), I had an average of 42.06 Mbps. To really put it to the test, I used its Japanese server to stream Netflix. Even though Japan is thousands of miles from me, my speed never dropped below 31 Mbps — you only need 25 Mbps to stream in Ultra HD. I watched 2 episodes of Followers and didn't encounter any buffering.
With 3,000 servers in 94 countries, you'll get access to tons of global content. During my tests, I could unblock Netflix in every location I tried it with, including the US, the UK, and Japan. It worked just as well with Disney+, HBO Max, and Hulu.
You can even stream on your smart TV using its MediaStreamer feature. This allows you to set ExpressVPN up on devices that normally don't support VPNs. It took me just a few minutes to set up before I could enjoy US Netflix on the big screen.
It offers top-notch security features to protect you from hackers and other online threats. This includes 256-bit encryption, a kill switch (called Network Lock), and DNS/IP leak protection. I wanted to be sure you can rely on this, so I used an online tool to test 3 of its servers for leaks. To my relief, there were none found.
Your personal data is safeguarded by ExpressVPN's no-logs policy, too. This ensures that it doesn't retain or share user information. On top of this, it uses TrustedServer technology, which are RAM-only servers that automatically wipe your data each time you disconnect. Most VPNs store data on hard drives, which increases the possibility of third-party meddling.
What's also reassuring is that ExpressVPN is based in the privacy-friendly British Virgin Islands — outside the 5/9/14 Eyes Alliances. This jurisdiction has no data retention laws, meaning ExpressVPN isn’t legally required to store any of your data.
Plus, it's one of the few VPNs that works in China. The Great Firewall can be extremely difficult to get past, but ExpressVPN can do so consistently. This is helpful if you visit China and need access to sites from your home country. Keep in mind that non-government approved VPNs are illegal in China — however, there have been no cases of tourists being penalized by the Chinese government.
ExpressVPN offers industry-leading security protocols, including OpenVPN and IKEv2. It also has its very own Lightway protocol that provides strong security without compromising speeds. This allowed me to switch servers without disconnecting from the network, which took seconds. Plus, I found that Lightway helps conserve your battery life since it's super lightweight.
Every server supports P2P connections, so it's a great option for torrenting. I wanted to see how quickly I could download some large torrent files on my laptop. So I found Night of the Living Dead and used uTorrent to download the 700 MB file. It only took 6 minutes — you can download torrents at top speeds.
I found that ExpressVPN’s apps are super easy to install and navigate as well. It has native apps for most operating systems — I installed it on my iPhone, Windows laptop, and iPad. After it was installed, I could connect to the fastest server based on my location in just one click. It even has a built-in speed testing tool. This helps you easily identify the fastest server for your online activities, such as streaming, gaming, browsing, and torrenting.
The 7-day free trial is a great way to test ExpressVPN on your mobile device. Alternatively, you can try it out with any device you like risk-free for 30-days since it offers a money-back guarantee. While this option does require you to pay upfront (plans start at $6.67/month), you can sign up confidently, knowing that your payment is backed 100 percent by the refund guarantee. If you aren't happy with it, you'll have no problem claiming your refund.
When I tested the refund process, it was hassle-free. I used the 24/7 live chat feature to make my request. The agent asked me a few user-experience related questions, then quickly processed my refund and I saw the money in my account 3 days later.
FAQs on How to Get an ExpressVPN Free Trial
Will I be charged after the ExpressVPN free trial ends?
Yes, if you don't cancel your subscription within the 7-day free trial period. You can cancel your subscription within your mobile phone's settings. This will prevent the app from automatically charging you for a plan when the trial ends. Once you cancel your subscription, you can still use the free trial for the remaining days of your trial period.
However, if you need more time to test ExpressVPN, it offers a risk-free money-back guarantee with all of its plans. This way, you'll have 30 days to try it out with all of your favorite streaming sites and online activities. If you're not happy, you can easily claim a full refund.
Do I need a credit card to sign up for ExpressVPN’s free trial?
Yes, your payment details from your phone's app store will be used to activate the free trial. So you'll need an account with either Google Play (Android) or for the App Store (iOS).
You won't be charged unless you cancel your subscription within the 7-day trial period. If you forget to cancel before your trial ends, your new plan will be backed by ExpressVPN's 30-day money-back guarantee.
Does the ExpressVPN free trial work on any device?
No, it only works with Android or iOS. This gives you an idea of how the service works, but the best way to test ExpressVPN out fully is to sign up risk-free.
When you sign up for a plan, you can use it on all of your devices. This includes mobile phones, tablets, desktops, laptops, smart TVs, game consoles, routers, and more. Even though you'll have to pay for this option upfront, your payment is risk-free and backed for 30 days. So if you find it's not for you, you can easily claim a refund.
How do you cancel your ExpressVPN subscription?
You can cancel your subscription by contacting support. This can be done either through its 24/7 live chat or email. All of ExpressVPN's plans offer a 30-day money-back guarantee. So if you cancel within this time, you will get a refund on your subscription.
Is it better to use a free trial instead of a free VPN?
Yes — I strongly advise against free VPNs. Many premium VPNs (like ExpressVPN) either offer a free trial or even let you sign up with the assurance of a money-back guarantee. This gives you unlimited access to all of the VPN's features so you can test its streaming abilities, speeds, security, and more.
While free VPNs don't require payment, they are usually very limited and can be unsafe. Some of these limitations include small server networks, slow speeds, and severe data caps. This can make it almost impossible to use it for streaming or any other online activity. Even worse, many of them are known for selling user data to third parties, targeting you with ads, and even exposing you to malware. It's just not worth the risk.
Does ExpressVPN have a referral option?
Yes, and it can save you (and your referral) money on your subscription. Once you sign up for your own ExpressVPN account, referring a new customer earns you both 30 days of free service. All you have to do is log into your account through the ExpressVPN website and enter an email for your referral.
Try ExpressVPN Risk-Free Today!
ExpressVPN's 7-day free trial is straightforward, but you can only use it with your mobile phone. This will give you a basic idea of how it works, but you won't be able to test it out with any other devices.
On the other hand, it also offers a 30-day money-back guarantee, so you can test ExpressVPN risk-free with any device you like. This option does require you to pay for it upfront, but you can do so with the assurance of a reliable refund policy. If you find you're not happy with it, you'll have no problem claiming a refund.
Other top VPNs you can try risk-free with money-back guarantees...
Your data is exposed to the websites you visit!
Your IP Address:
Your Internet Provider:
The information above can be used to track you, target you for ads, and monitor what you do online.
VPNs can help you hide this information from websites so that you are protected at all times. We recommend ExpressVPN — the #1 VPN out of over 350 providers we've tested. It has military-grade encryption and privacy features that will ensure your digital security, plus — it's currently offering 49% off.