How to Get an ExpressVPN Free Trial (Tested & Works in 2023)
- Quick Guide: How to Try ExpressVPN Risk-Free For 30 Days in 3 Easy Steps
- How to Try ExpressVPN Risk-Free For 30 Days
- How to Get ExpressVPN’s 7-Day Free Trial on Mobile
- How to Cancel Your ExpressVPN 7-Day Trial
- ExpressVPN Free Trial Vs. Money-Back Guarantee: Which is Better?
- Why Choose ExpressVPN? It's Lighting-Fast, Reliable, and Secure
- FAQs on How to Get an ExpressVPN Free Trial
- Try ExpressVPN Risk-Free Today
ExpressVPN offers a free trial that gives you access to all of its features — but it lasts just 7 days. Plus, you can only get it via mobile through an existing Apple App Store or Google Play account. Despite only being able to get the trial on mobile, you can still test its speeds, streaming abilities, and security on other devices. However, there are some limitations to the trial, and there's a better way to test it out.
ExpressVPN also offers a 30-day money-back guarantee, so you can test it risk-free on more devices for longer. With this option, you have to pay upfront for a subscription, but you’ll have no problem getting a refund if you aren’t happy with it. In addition, ExpressVPN has good prices and offers discounts of up to 49% off frequently, making it affordable to get started.
When I tested the refund policy, I found the process really straightforward. I contacted an agent via live chat and answered a couple of user-experience-related questions. Within a few minutes, my request was approved. I saw my money back in my account in 3 days.
- Visit the website. Navigate to the ExpressVPN website and choose a plan — they all offer the 30-day money-back guarantee, but you'll save the most on its long-term subscriptions.
- Sign up. Enter your payment details and information. Don't worry; your payment is risk-free and fully refundable within the money-back period!
- Test out ExpressVPN! Once your subscription is activated, you can try it on up to 5 devices at once and stream, game, torrent, and browse with industry-leading security.
It’s quick and easy to install ExpressVPN and test it risk-free. Just remember that you will need to provide your billing information and pay for a subscription with this method. However, if you aren’t happy with it, you can easily get a full refund within 30 days.
Here’s a step-by-step guide to help you get it set up within minutes.
- Visit the ExpressVPN homepage. Go to the ExpressVPN site, then select “Get ExpressVPN.” This will bring you directly to their pricing list.
- Choose the length of your plan. Every plan offers a money-back guarantee and is full-featured — but the biggest savings are in the long-term plan. When I tried ExpressVPN, I got 49% off the total price by choosing the longest plan. If you’re not sure you’re ready for a long-term subscription, you can choose the 1-month plan, which will cost less upfront.
- Enter your payment details. ExpressVPN lets you pay with credit card, PayPal, Bitcoin, Union Pay, AliPay, Mint, and more. Keep in mind that paying with credit card or PayPal will set up a recurring payment schedule. However, it’s easy to cancel this by contacting ExpressVPN’s 24/7 live chat support.
- Take note of your activation code. This will appear on the next screen after your email and payment information are processed. Then, you just need to click "Download" to get the app set up on your device (it already knows what device you’re using).
- Paste your activation code in the app. The app launches automatically once it's installed. Then, select your preferences — you can choose to have the app start automatically when you use your device and opt for/against sending error reports.
- Enjoy using ExpressVPN for 30 days risk-free. This gives you plenty of time to test it with the most popular streaming sites, browsing, gaming, torrenting, and more.
- If it's not for you, you can claim a refund. As long as it's within the money-back period, it's not difficult to get your money back. You can make your request via email or its 24/7 live chat feature on its website. Just click the "Need help? Chat with us!" button in the bottom right corner of the homepage to open a chat window.
- Check your account for your returned payment. This can take up to 7 business days — however, I had my money back in 3 days.
How to Get ExpressVPN’s 7-Day Free Trial on Mobile
ExpressVPN's 7-day free trial is available for iOS and Android users. The following instructions show you how to set it up on iPhone, but the steps for Android are not very different.
2. Select your plan. You'll be prompted to choose a plan. However, you won't be charged at this point. This is the subscription that will come into effect if you choose to continue using ExpressVPN after your trial ends.
It also asks if you would like the VPN to launch on startup, and whether you’d like to share data with ExpressVPN regarding crash reports, speed tests, usability diagnostics, and whether VPN connections succeed. This is all totally up to you — none of your choices here affect the functionality of the VPN.
4. Test ExpressVPN for 7 days. Once the app is set up, you can get straight to testing its speeds, security, streaming abilities, and more. ExpressVPN’s free trial lets you test it on 5 devices. All you need to do is download the VPN on your device and sign in using the email address you used for the free trial. You’ll then be sent an email link to complete the sign-in. Alternatively, you can use the activation code.
You need to cancel your trial if you don’t want to be charged after 7 days. You can manage your free trial subscription within your phone’s settings. You can check how much time is left in your free trial and choose whether you’d like to cancel or upgrade to a paid subscription by following these steps:
- Go to your phone’s Settings, then tap on your Apple ID.
- Press “Subscriptions” and find your ExpressVPN subscription.
- Find your ExpressVPN subscription. Here, you can see how long you have left of your trial.
- Choose whether you want to cancel or upgrade. Hit “See All Plans” to subscribe to a longer plan, or “Cancel Free Trial” to not be charged.
- Go to the Google Play Store and tap on your profile icon in the top right-hand corner.
- Hit “Payments and subscriptions,” then “Subscriptions.”
- Find your ExpressVPN subscription to manage it.
- Choose whether you want to cancel. You can’t upgrade your subscription here, but you can cancel by hitting “Cancel subscription.” If you’d like to upgrade early, contact ExpressVPN’s 24/7 chat support.
If you purchase a subscription, ExpressVPN offers a 30 money-back guarantee. This gives you assurance that if you’re not happy with ExpressVPN, you can cancel within the guarantee period and claim a full refund without any hassle. This means you’ll have a full 30 days to thoroughly test the service.
On the other hand, the free trial doesn’t require any payment upfront. However, it only allows you to test the service for 1 week. This isn’t nearly long enough to test the full features of ExpressVPN on all your different devices, especially since performance can change day-to-day with any VPN.
All in all, I’d say ExpressVPN’s money-back guarantee is the better option. While it does require payment, ExpressVPN commonly runs huge discounts of up to 49% off, meaning the cost of entry is very affordable. Through this method, you’ll be able to try ExpressVPN risk-free — 30 days is 3 times as long as you’d get with the trial. If you’re not a fan, you can easily cancel and get a full refund.
Why Choose ExpressVPN? It's Lighting-Fast, Reliable, and Secure
Tested February 2023 Try Risk-Free for 30 Days
- Superfast speeds for uninterrupted streaming, gaming, torrenting, and browsing
- Reliably unblocks streaming platforms across the globe so you can easily access regional libraries
- 5 simultaneous device connections
- Can unblock: Netflix, Disney+, HBO Max, Hulu, BBC iPlayer, Sling TV, and more
- Compatible with: Windows, Mac, iOS, Android, Linux, routers, Amazon Firestick, Apple TV, and more
ExpressVPN is superfast, so you can enjoy your favorite online activities free from interruptions. From the 4 locations I tested (the US, the UK, Costa Rica, and Brazil), I had an average speed of 42.06 Mbps (about an 8% drop from my base speed). To really put it to the test, I used its Japanese server to stream Netflix. Even though Japan is thousands of miles from me, my speed never dropped below 31 Mbps — you only need 25 Mbps to stream in Ultra HD.
With 3,000 servers in 94 countries, you'll get access to tons of global content. During my tests, I could unblock Netflix in every location I tried it with, including the US, the UK, and Japan. It worked just as well with Amazon Prime Video, Disney+, HBO Max, ESPN+, DAZN, and Hulu. It also unblocked more niche platforms like Crunchyroll and Funimation. Plus, it’s one of only a few VPNs that can consistently bypass the Great Firewall of China, so it works in countries where VPNs are regulated or banned.
You can even stream on your smart TV using its MediaStreamer feature. This allows you to unblock streaming apps on devices that normally don't support VPNs, like your smart TV, PlayStation, Xbox, or Apple TV device. It took me just a few minutes of setup before I could start enjoying US Netflix on the big screen. Plus, its Chrome, Firefox and Edge extensions let you control the app conveniently from your browser.
It has excellent security features to keep you safe from online threats and hackers. It also has a kill switch called Network Lock, which protects you against DNS and IP leaks. I used an online tool to test 15 servers for leaks to ensure you can trust in this and you can — no leaks were found.
ExpressVPN offers industry-standard security protocols, including OpenVPN and IKEv2. But what makes it stand out is its very own superfast Lightway protocol that provides strong security without compromising speeds. Using Lightway, it took less than a second to connect or switch to any server. Plus, Lightway is great for mobile devices because it’s so lightweight, it uses up way less battery life.
What's also reassuring is that ExpressVPN is based in the privacy-friendly British Virgin Islands — outside the 5/9/14 Eyes Alliances. This jurisdiction has no data retention laws, meaning ExpressVPN isn’t legally required to store any of your data.
Every server supports P2P connections, so it's a great option for torrenting. To test its torrenting capabilities, I downloaded some torrent files on my laptop using BitTorrent and uTorrent. Night of the Living Dead, a 700 MB file, only took 6 minutes to complete.
ExpressVPN is super easy to install and use. It’s compatible with all major operating systems, plus, it has a native router app, which most VPNs don’t offer (you have to install and use them manually). You can even set it up directly on Firestick. Its Smart Location feature automatically connects you to the best server in whichever country you wish to connect to.
Another handy feature is split tunneling, which allows you to choose which apps use the VPN connection. This is handy if you want to protect your torrenting traffic (for example), but continue browsing the web with your regular internet connection (plus, it can boost download speeds).
While it offers a 7-day trial through app stores, its money-back guarantee is legit. You can try ExpressVPN completely risk-free. While this option does require you to pay upfront (plans start at $6.67/month), you can sign up confidently, knowing that your payment is backed 100% by the refund guarantee. If you aren't happy with it, it’s no problem to get all your money back.
When I tested the refund process, it was hassle-free. I used the 24/7 live chat feature to make my request. The agent asked me a few user-experience related questions, then quickly processed my refund and I saw the money in my account 3 days later.
FAQs on How to Get an ExpressVPN Free Trial
Will ExpressVPN charge me after the free trial ends?
Yes, you will be charged unless you cancel within the 7-day trial period. However, canceling your subscription within your mobile phone's settings is simple. Doing this will ensure you won't be charged for a plan when your trial is over. Remember that you can still use the free trial for the remaining days of your trial period once you cancel it.
However, if you need more time to test ExpressVPN, it offers a risk-free money-back guarantee with all of its plans, too. This way, you'll have 30 days to try it out with all of your favorite streaming sites and online activities. If you're not happy, you can easily claim a full refund within 30 days.
Can I get the ExpressVPN free trial with no credit card?
No. Your payment details from your phone's app store will be used to activate the free trial. So you'll need an account with either Google Play (Android) or for the App Store (iOS).
You need to cancel your subscription before the 7 days are up to avoid being charged. However, you’re still backed by ExpressVPN’s 30-day money-back guarantee if you do forget to cancel your trial.
How do I cancel my ExpressVPN subscription?
You can cancel your subscription by contacting ExpressVPN support. This can be done either through its 24/7 live chat or email. All of ExpressVPN's plans offer a 30-day money-back guarantee. If you cancel within this period, you will get a refund on your subscription.
If you’re using the 7-day mobile trial, you’ll need to cancel before the 7 days are up to avoid being charged. You need to cancel within your phone’s subscription settings.
Does the ExpressVPN free trial work on any device?
You can only get the ExpressVPN 7-day trial on Android or iOS. This gives you an idea of how the service works, but the best way to test ExpressVPN out fully is to sign up risk-free. Even though you have to pay for this option upfront, your payment is backed by a money-back guarantee for 30 days. So if you find it's not for you, you can easily claim a refund.
When you sign up for a plan, you can use it on all of your devices, such as:
|Linux||Routers||Smart TVs||Samsung TV|
|LG Smart TV||Apple TV||Amazon Fire TV||Firestick|
Does ExpressVPN have a referral option?
Yes, and it can save you (and your referral) money on your subscription. When you sign up for ExpressVPN and refer a friend, you can both use the service for free for 30 days. All you have to do is log into your account through the ExpressVPN website and enter your friend’s email address. There are no limitations on the number of people you can refer to ExpressVPN, so you can continue to earn more free days.
Are there any ExpressVPN discount codes or coupons?
Yes, ExpressVPN regularly offers high discounts and coupons. As ExpressVPN offers premium features, it can be a little more expensive than other options — so these big discounts can get you a great deal. Right now, you can get 49% off its long-term plan, which is a huge savings and offers impressive value overall.
Is it better to use a free trial instead of a free VPN?
Yes — I strongly advise against free VPNs. Many premium VPNs (like ExpressVPN) either offer a free trial or even let you sign up with the assurance of a money-back guarantee. This gives you unlimited access to all of the VPN's features so you can test its streaming abilities, speeds, security, and more.
While free VPNs don't require payment, they are very limited and can be unsafe. Some of these limitations and risks include:
- Small server networks
- Slow speeds
- Restrictive torrenting abilities
- Severe data caps that make streaming and other online activities impossible
- The sharing of user data with third parties
- Targeting users with ads
- Exposing users to malware through ads.
Try ExpressVPN Risk-Free Today
ExpressVPN's 7-day free trial is straightforward, but you can only get it with mobile. This will give you a basic idea of how it works, but since VPN performance can vary day-to-day, it’s not really long enough to fully get to know the service.
On the other hand, ExpressVPN also offers a 30-day money-back guarantee, so you can sign up on any device you want knowing you can easily get a full refund if you’re not 100% satisfied. I tested out the refund policy myself and it only took 5 minutes for my request to be approved. The money only took 3 days to arrive back into my account.
Other top VPNs you can try risk-free with money-back guarantees…
Your data is exposed to the websites you visit!
Your IP Address:
Your Internet Provider:
The information above can be used to track you, target you for ads, and monitor what you do online.
VPNs can help you hide this information from websites so that you are protected at all times. We recommend ExpressVPN — the #1 VPN out of over 350 providers we've tested. It has military-grade encryption and privacy features that will ensure your digital security, plus — it's currently offering 49% off.