How to Get an ExpressVPN Free Trial (7 & 30 Days) in 2024
- Quick Guide: How to Get an ExpressVPN 7-Day Free Trial in 3 Easy Steps
- How to Try ExpressVPN Risk-Free For 30 Days
- How to Get a 7-Day ExpressVPN Free Trial on Mobile
- How to Cancel Your ExpressVPN 7-Day Trial
- ExpressVPN Free Trial Vs. Money-Back Guarantee: Which is Better?
- Why Choose ExpressVPN? It's Fast, Reliable, and Secure
- FAQs on How to Get an ExpressVPN Free Trial
- Try ExpressVPN Risk-Free Today
ExpressVPN offers a 7-day free trial to try out all its features. However, you can only get it via mobile through an existing Apple App Store or Google Play Store account. During the trial, you can test ExpressVPN's speeds, streaming abilities, and security across various devices, including iOS, Android, and PCs. However, I don’t find 7 days long enough to test it properly.
There is another option, though. ExpressVPN also offers a 30-day money-back guarantee, so you can test it risk-free for longer. You have to pay upfront for a subscription, but getting a refund is easy if it doesn’t meet your expectations. Plus, ExpressVPN has affordable pricing plans and often offers discounts of up to 49% off.
When I tested the refund policy, I found the process really straightforward. I contacted an agent via live chat and answered a couple of user-experience related questions. Within a few minutes, my request was approved. I saw my money back in my account in 3 days.
Quick Guide: How to Get an ExpressVPN 7-Day Free Trial in 3 Easy Steps
- Download ExpressVPN. Get the ExpressVPN app from the iOS App Store or Google’s Play Store to start your 7-day trial. If you want to test it for longer, you can try ExpressVPN risk-free with its 30-day money-back guarantee when you sign up on its website.
- Click "Start Free Trial." Select the 12-month plan to start your trial and follow the prompts to complete the setup.
- Connect. Select a server and connect to start testing out ExpressVPN.
How to Try ExpressVPN Risk-Free For 30 Days
It’s quick and easy to install ExpressVPN and test it risk-free. The money-back guarantee isn't a free trial hack, as you'll have to pay for the VPN up front, but it does give you a risk-free trial period. You'll be able to get a refund within 30 days if it doesn't work for you.
Here’s a step-by-step guide to help you set it up and request a refund if you’re not happy with it.
- Visit the ExpressVPN homepage. Go to the ExpressVPN site, then select “Get ExpressVPN.” This will bring you directly to its pricing list.
- Choose the length of your plan. Every plan offers the same robust feature suite and a full money-back guarantee. When I tried ExpressVPN, I got 49% of the total price by choosing the longest plan. If you’re not sure you’re ready for a long-term subscription, you can choose the 1-month plan, which will cost less upfront.Once you've selected a subscription, enter your email and payment details. ExpressVPN lets you pay with credit card, PayPal, Bitcoin, Union Pay, AliPay, Mint, and more. Keep in mind that paying with credit card or PayPal will set up a recurring payment schedule. However, it’s easy to cancel this by contacting ExpressVPN’s 24/7 live chat support.
- Take note of your activation code. This will appear on the next screen after your email and payment information are processed. Then, you just need to click "Download" to set up the app on your device (it automatically detects which device and OS you’re using).
- Paste your activation code in the app. The app launches automatically once it's installed. Once you’ve logged in with your activation code, select your preferences. You can choose to have the app start automatically when you use your device (which I highly recommend) and opt for/against sending error reports.
- Use ExpressVPN for 30 days risk-free. This gives you plenty of time to test it with popular local streaming sites, browsing, gaming, torrenting, and more.
- If it's not for you, you can claim a refund. As long as it's within the money-back period, it's not difficult to get your money back. You can make your request via email or its 24/7 live chat feature.
- Check your account for your returned payment. This can take up to 7 business days — however, I had my money back in 3 days.
How to Get a 7-Day ExpressVPN Free Trial on Mobile
ExpressVPN's 7-day free trial is available for iOS and Android users. Once you start your trial, you can use your activation code to test it out on up to 8 devices simultaneously. The following instructions show you how to set it up on iPhone, but the steps for Android are mostly the same.
- Visit your phone's app store. Search for the ExpressVPN app and download it from either the Play Store or the App Store. Once the app has been downloaded, tap "Start Free Trial."
- Choose the 12-month plan. You'll be prompted to proceed with the annual plan since the monthly plan doesn’t come with the free trial. However, you won't be charged at this point. The subscription will come into effect if you choose to continue and don’t cancel it 24 hours before your trial ends.
- Test ExpressVPN for 7 days. Once the app is set up, you can get straight to testing its features. All you need to do is download the VPN on each of your devices and sign in using the email address you used for the free trial. You’ll then be sent an email link to complete the sign-in. Alternatively, you can use the activation code.It’s important to note that once your free trial is up, you won’t be able to get an ExpressVPN free trial again on that operating system. However, you can get one free trial on iOS and another on Android, so you can do this if you want to get the ExpressVPN free trial more than once.
How to Cancel Your ExpressVPN 7-Day Trial
You need to cancel at least 24 hours before the end of the 7-day trial period if you don’t want to be charged. You can manage your free trial subscription within your phone’s settings. You can check how much time is left in your free trial and choose whether you’d like to cancel or upgrade to a paid subscription by following these steps:
- Go to your phone’s Settings, then tap on your Apple ID.
- Press “Subscriptions” and find your ExpressVPN subscription.
- Find your ExpressVPN subscription. Here, you can see how long you have left of your trial.
- Choose whether you want to cancel or upgrade. Hit “See All Plans” to subscribe to a longer plan, or “Cancel Free Trial” to not be charged.
When you cancel, you can still use the app for the remaining days of your trial period
- Go to the Google Play Store and tap on your profile icon in the top right-hand corner.
- Hit “Payments and subscriptions,” then “Subscriptions.”
- Find your ExpressVPN subscription to manage it.
- Choose whether you want to cancel. You can’t upgrade your subscription here, but you can cancel by hitting “Cancel subscription.” If you’d like to upgrade early, contact ExpressVPN’s 24/7 chat support.
ExpressVPN Free Trial Vs. Money-Back Guarantee: Which is Better?
Every ExpressVPN plan is backed by a 30-day money-back guarantee. So, if you’re not happy with ExpressVPN, you can cancel within the guarantee period and claim a full refund without any hassle. This means you’ll have a full 30 days to thoroughly test the service with a variety of activities, giving you a better idea of how the VPN works for you.
Conversely, the free trial doesn't demand any preliminary payment. But, it merely gives you a week-long window to evaluate the service. This period isn't extensive enough to thoroughly explore all the features of ExpressVPN across various devices, especially considering that VPN performance can fluctuate on a daily basis.
All in all, I’d say ExpressVPN’s money-back guarantee is the better option. While it does require upfront payment, ExpressVPN often offers generous discounts of up to 49% off. Through this method, you’ll be able to test ExpressVPN for 30 days with no risk — that’s 4 times as long as you’d get with the trial. If you’re not a fan, you can easily cancel and get a full refund.
Why Choose ExpressVPN? It's Fast, Reliable, and Secure
Tested February 2024 Try Risk-Free for 30 Days
|Fastest speeds of all the VPNs I’ve tested, especially on long-distance servers
|3,000 servers in 105 countries
|Security & Privacy
|AES 256-bit encryption, kill switch, IP/DNS leak protection, robust no-logs policy, split tunneling, and more
|Netflix, Disney+, Max, Hulu, BBC iPlayer, Amazon Prime Video, DAZN, ESPN, and more
Every time I use ExpressVPN, I’m impressed by how little it affects my base speeds compared to other VPNs. I tested several local servers in the UK, and I had an average speed drop of only 5%. I also tried its Japanese server, and even though it’s over 9,000 km from me, I only lost 32% speed. This was still fast enough to browse Japanese news and download games from the region without any long wait times.
I had no issues accessing Netflix UK with every local British server I tried. These servers worked just as well with Amazon Prime Video, Disney+, and DAZN. Similarly, my colleagues, who are situated in 20 locations across the world including the US and Japan, also reported positive results using ExpressVPN with their local streaming services.
It’s also one of the few VPNs that work in China. It also works in countries where VPNs are regulated or banned, like Russia, Iran, and the UAE. That’s because each server automatically obfuscates your connection if it detects VPN blocks or detection tools, making it look like regular Internet traffic.
You'll also benefit from robust security features that safeguard you against hackers and various online threats. In addition to its military-level encryption, ExpressVPN employs perfect forward secrecy. This means that unique encryption keys are generated for each VPN session. As a result, even if a single encryption key is breached, both previous and subsequent communications continue to be secure.
Your personal data is safeguarded by ExpressVPN's audited no-logs policy, too. Plus, it uses TrustedServer technology, meaning your data is stored on RAM-only servers that automatically wipe your data whenever the server is rebooted. This reduces the possibility of third-party meddling and makes sure none of your data is accidentally written to memory.
ExpressVPN is one of the easiest VPNs to install and use. It’s compatible with all major operating systems and has a native router app, which most VPNs don’t offer (they require manual installation). The router app isn’t available in the 7-day trial, though. You can even set it up directly on Firestick.
The only downside to ExpressVPN is that it’s pricier than some of its competitors, with prices starting from $6.67/month. However, it regularly offers discounts that equate to getting a few months of the service for free. When I signed up, I got 49% off.
- MediaStreamer. This Smart DNS service lets you stream without buffering on devices that don't normally support VPNs, like your smart TV, PlayStation, Xbox, or Apple TV device.
- Lightway protocol. ExpressVPN’s proprietary Lightway protocol provides strong security without compromising speeds. Using Lightway, it took less than a second to connect or switch to any server. Because this protocol is designed to be as lightweight as possible, it uses less battery life, so it’s great for mobile devices.
- Privacy-friendly jurisdiction. ExpressVPN is based in the British Virgin Islands which has no data retention laws, so it isn’t legally required to store any of your data. Plus, because this jurisdiction is outside the 5/9/14 Eyes Alliances, ExpressVPN isn’t required to share what little data it has about you with other countries.
- Great torrenting support. ExpressVPN is a great choice for torrenting since every server supports P2P connections. Plus, it offers strong IP and DNS leak protection, so anyone else connected to the torrenting swarm won’t be able to find out your true location.
FAQs on How to Get an ExpressVPN Free Trial
Can I get the ExpressVPN free trial with no credit card?
No, you need a payment method, be it a credit or debit card, PayPal, crypto, or any other supported by the VPN. The ExpressVPN free trial is validated by the payment details used by your phone’s app store. You’ll need to cancel your subscription 24 hours before the 7 days are up to avoid being charged. However, if you forget to do this, you’ll be covered by ExpressVPN’s 30-day money-back guarantee if you started the trial on an Android device.
This doesn’t apply to iOS devices, though. Instead, you’ll be subject to Apple’s refund policy.
How do I cancel my ExpressVPN free trial?
Simply navigate to your app store account settings and follow the instructions to cancel your free ExpressVPN trial. It's important to cancel 24 hours before the trial period ends to avoid any charges.
If you want to cancel your subscription and claim your money-back guarantee, contact ExpressVPN support through its 24/7 live chat or email. All of ExpressVPN's plans offer a 30-day money-back guarantee. If you cancel within this period, you will get a full refund on your subscription.
How long is ExpressVPN’s free trial?
ExpressVPN's free trial lasts for 7 days. This means you only have a week to test all of its features, which isn’t long enough. To test it out for 30 days, sign up for ExpressVPN through its website and try it risk-free. You can then use its tried and tested money-back guarantee if you’re not happy with it.
I’ve also come across questions in online forums about ExpressVPN’s 3-month free trial. However, this trial doesn’t exist. When you sign up for ExpressVPN’s 12-month plan, it often gives you a discount which amounts to 3 months of free service, though.
Does the ExpressVPN free trial work on any device?
You can only get the ExpressVPN 7-day trial on Android or iOS. This gives you an idea of how the service works, but the best way to test ExpressVPN out fully is to use its 30-day money-back guarantee. Even though you have to pay for this option upfront, you’ll get a better idea of how well the VPN works for you. And, if it doesn’t, it’s really easy to claim a refund.
When you sign up for a plan, you can use it on all of your devices, such as:
|LG Smart TV
|Amazon Fire TV
Will ExpressVPN charge me after the free trial ends?
Yes, you will be charged unless you cancel at least 24 hours before the 7-day trial period ends. However, canceling your ExpressVPN subscription within your mobile phone's settings is simple. Doing this will ensure you won't be charged for a plan when your trial is over. Remember that you can still use the free trial for the remaining days of your trial period once you cancel it.
However, if you need more time to test ExpressVPN, it offers a risk-free money-back guarantee with all of its plans, too. This way, you'll have 30 days to try it out with all of your local streaming sites and favorite online activities. If you're not happy, you can easily claim a full refund within 30 days.
Do I need a free trial code or coupon to try ExpressVPN?
No, you do not need a free trial code or coupon to access ExpressVPN's 7-day free trial. Simply sign up and download the app through an existing Apple App Store or Play Store account to start your trial. However, you can use discount codes and coupons when you sign up for ExpressVPN through the website.
Does ExpressVPN have a referral option?
Yes, and it can save you (and your referral) money on your subscription. When you sign up for ExpressVPN and refer a friend, you can both use the service for free for 30 days. All you have to do is log into your account through the ExpressVPN website and enter your friend’s email address.
There are no limitations on the number of people you can refer to ExpressVPN, so you can continue to earn more free days.
Is it better to use a free trial instead of a free VPN?
Yes — I strongly advise against free VPNs. Many premium VPNs (like ExpressVPN) either offer a free trial or even let you sign up with the assurance of a money-back guarantee. This gives you unlimited access to all of the VPN's features so you can test its streaming abilities, speeds, security, and more.
While free VPNs don't require payment, they are very limited and can be unsafe. Some of these limitations and risks include:
- Small server networks
- Slow speeds
- Restrictive torrenting abilities
- Severe data caps that make streaming and other online activities impossible
- Personal user data being shared with third parties
- Invasive targeted ads
- Malware, trackers, and other cyber threats
Try ExpressVPN Risk-Free Today
The 7-day free trial of ExpressVPN is simple to use, but it's only available on mobile. This provides a basic understanding of its functioning, however, since the performance of a VPN can fluctuate daily, this period isn't sufficient to completely familiarize yourself with the service.
On the other hand, ExpressVPN also offers a 30-day money-back guarantee, so you can test it for longer on any device you want. You can easily get a full refund if you’re not 100% satisfied. I tested out the refund policy myself and it only took 5 minutes for my request to be approved. The money only took 3 days to arrive back into my account.
Here are the top VPNs with free trials or risk-free money-back guarantees
Your data is exposed to the websites you visit!
Your IP Address:
Your Internet Provider:
The information above can be used to track you, target you for ads, and monitor what you do online.
VPNs can help you hide this information from websites so that you are protected at all times. We recommend ExpressVPN — the #1 VPN out of over 350 providers we've tested. It has military-grade encryption and privacy features that will ensure your digital security, plus — it's currently offering 49% off.