How to Get a Norwegian IP Address from Anywhere in 2019 [+VIDEO]
If you’ve been trying to watch NRK.no or TV2 Sumo outside of Norway, you might have been denied access to your favorite shows. You can also run into issues if you try to access your Norwegian bank accounts from abroad.
Many Norwegian TV shows, news services, streaming sites, and banking services are restricted to users in Norway. If you want full access, you need a Norwegian IP address.
The safest, easiest, and most effective way to get a Norway IP address is to use a virtual private network (VPN). It’s simple to do, and this article will show you how.
Quick Guide: How to Get a Norwegian IP Address with a VPN
- Select a VPN with servers in Norway and sign up. NordVPN is our #1 choice for Norway IPs.
- Download the VPN application and install it on your device.
- Launch the software and connect to a server in Norway.
- Check your new IP address using our tool.
Table of Contents
- How a VPN Can Get You a Norway IP Address
- A VPN Also Keeps You Safe and Lets You Stream Almost Anything
- What to Look For in a VPN
- The Best VPNs to Get a Norway IP Address
When you connect to a VPN, your traffic is encrypted and rerouted through one of the VPN servers. Better VPN providers offer a wide network with lots of server locations all over the world.
Once you are connected to a server, you will receive a new IP address based on that server’s location. If you choose a VPN server in Norway, you’ll have a Norway IP address.
Your IP address is your unique digital signature that tells websites others online where you are. Streaming sites, financial services, search engines, news services and even social networks use your IP to determine your location.
If you try to use these services from outside Norway, you could find yourself with limited access or locked out entirely. A Norwegian IP address unlocks regional content, giving you an advantage if you’re doing market research or searching for a job in Oslo.
There are other ways to change your IP address – like free proxies – but these services often create more problems than they solve. Free VPNs or proxies use weaker encryption than premium VPNs, so they leave you exposed to hacking and tracking.
Free services also tend to collect and sell user information, or even host ads containing malware or spyware. Furthermore, streaming sites like Netflix can easily detect and block free IP changers.
High-quality VPNs don’t just change your IP address to make it look like you’re in Norway. They also protect your anonymity, keep sensitive data secure, and allow you to bypass almost any geoblock on streaming content.
- Advanced security features. Look for a VPN with a kill switch and DNS leak protection so your data never spills onto the public internet.
- Strong encryption. Advanced Encryption Standard (AES) encryption is the best option to keep your traffic anonymous.
- Unlimited bandwidth. Choose a VPN that offers fast connections and won’t restrict your traffic due to data limits.
- Excellent geoblock bypassing. VPNs with a proven record of unlocking US Netflix, Hulu, and the BBC iPlayer will give you access to any Norwegian streaming site.
NordVPN is our overall top-rated VPN, and it’s a good choice for a Norway IP address. It offers 60 Norway servers, including servers optimized for streaming and torrenting.
NordVPN’s native apps for Windows, MacOS, Android, iOS, Linux, and more are user-friendly and intuitive. The provider uses strong AES encryption and Double VPN (a second encryption layer) to keep your data private, and doesn’t keep user records.
You can take NordVPN for a spin for free for 7 days, or sign up under the 30-day money-back guarantee.
NordVPN can unblock:
- Netflix, HBO, Hulu, Showtime, BBC iPlayer, Amazon Prime Video, and Sling TV.
- Yes, P2P specialty servers available.
NordVPN works on these devices:
- Windows, macOS, Android, iOS, Android TV, Linux, Chrome, and Firefox. It’s also compatible with routers.
ExpressVPN’s network includes a server location in Norway, with multiple Norwegian IP addresses. The VPN supports a range of security protocols and offers fast speeds for smooth streaming.
In fact, ExpressVPN claims to be the fastest premium VPN on the market, and our tests confirm it.
ExpressVPN offers 24/7 customer support, doesn’t keep logs, and uses military-grade AES encryption. You can sign up with the peace of mind offered by a 30-day, no-questions-asked, money-back guarantee.
ExpressVPN can unblock:
- Netflix, Hulu, HBO, Amazon Prime Video, Showtime, Sling TV, DAZN, and BBC iPlayer.
- Yes, all servers support P2P activity.
ExpressVPN works on these devices:
- Windows, macOS, Android, iOS, Android TV, Linux, Chrome, and Firefox. It also offers an app for use with certain routers.
CyberGhost VPN offers all the features you would expect from a premium VPN, including a built-in kill switch, DNS leak protection, strong encryption, and cross-platform native apps.
CyberGhost offers unlimited bandwidth and fast servers worldwide, including 30 servers in Norway. You can protect up to 7 devices with one account, which is perfect if you frequently switch devices or want one subscription to cover your whole family.
CyberGhost is one of our best-rated VPN providers, but don’t take our word for it. Try it out under the generous 45-day money-back guarantee.
CyberGhost can unblock:
- Dedicated streaming profile with servers optimized for: Netflix, BBC iPlayer, Sky Go, Hulu, Comedy Central, Eurosport, ESPN, and others.
- Yes; dedicated profile shows countries and number of users.
CyberGhost works on these devices:
- Windows, macOS, Android, iOS, Amazon Fire Stick, Android TV, Linux, and Chrome.