How to Install a VPN on Fire Stick (& Fire TV) Easily in 2023
- Quick Guide: How to Install a VPN on Fire Stick in 3 Easy Steps
- Best VPNs for Fire Stick (& Fire TV) — Full Analysis (Updated in January 2023)
- ExpressVPN — Custom-Made App for Easy Installation and Use on Fire Stick
- CyberGhost — Optimized Servers for Easy Access to Geoblocked Content
- PrivateVPN — User-Friendly App to Stream on Fire Stick Without Hassle
- How to Install a VPN on Fire Stick & Fire TV: The Ultimate Guide
- FAQs on Installing a VPN on Amazon Fire TV Stick
- Start Using a VPN on Fire Stick Now
Installing a VPN on Fire Stick is really straightforward — as long as you have the right VPN. If your VPN doesn't have an app in the Amazon Appstore, there are a couple of ways to set it up on your Fire device, but they're not as simple as a search and install.
I've tried and tested 4 easy methods to get your VPN running on your Fire Stick, Fire TV, or Fire Cube. Of course, the easiest way is to get a VPN that has a native app for Fire Stick. But the other methods aren't overly complicated either.
My favorite VPN for Fire Stick is ExpressVPN — it has a custom-made app for Fire devices that can be downloaded in seconds. Its super-fast speeds and worldwide server network allow you to stream flawlessly. What’s more, it offers strong security to protect you if you use Kodi or IPTV on your Fire Stick. You can try ExpressVPN completely risk-free as it’s backed by a 30-day money-back guarantee. If you’re not satisfied, you can get a full refund.
Quick Guide: How to Install a VPN on Fire Stick in 3 Easy Steps
- Sign up for a VPN. I recommend ExpressVPN because its native Fire Stick app is quick and easy to download. Plus, it offers fast speeds, a global server network, and strong security that protects you if you use the Kodi or IPTV apps.
- Visit the Amazon App Store. ExpressVPN has a dedicated Fire Stick app that you can find with a simple search in the App Store on your Fire device. Follow the prompts to install it.
- Stream on Fire Stick. Connect your VPN and enjoy smooth and safe streaming on your Fire Stick.
Tested January 2023 Try Risk-Free for 30 Days
- Native FireStick and router apps
- Superfast speeds and unlimited bandwidth
- 5 device connections
- Works with: Netflix, Disney+, Amazon Prime Video, Hulu, BBC iPlayer, HBO Max, Hotstar, and more
- Compatible with: Fire devices, Windows, Android, macOS, iOS, Linux, routers, smart TVs, and more
ExpressVPN offers an easy-to-install app for Fire TV devices. During my tests, I set it up on my Fire Stick through the Amazon Appstore in less than 2 minutes. With the app’s sleek design, it’s super easy to navigate, so you can get straight to streaming. I “favorited” my most-used servers (US and India) for quick access to Netflix US and Hotstar India every time I launched the app.
If you prefer an alternative download method, ExpressVPN provides an APK file on its site. Plus, it has native apps for various routers to make setup easy — which is uncommon for many VPNs. Should you run into any problems installing via one of these methods, there’s 24/7 live chat and several helpful guides on its website to assist you. You’ll have no problem setting it up on your Fire Stick.
It's one of the fastest VPNs available and one of the most reliable for unblocking streaming apps. While connected to its New York, Las Vegas, and Dallas servers, I found an average download speed of 58 Mbps. Long-distance connections barely made a difference, either, averaging about 56 Mbps (this is more than 11 times what’s needed for HD streaming).
With a network of 3,000 servers in 94, you can access region-locked content on Fire Stick within seconds. Its New York server gave me instant access to Netflix US, Disney+, and Hulu. The Manchester server worked just as well to unblock BBC iPlayer.The connections were strong and reliable — I never had any errors or lag while streaming.
It’s also highly secure and the entire network supports P2P traffic, so you can use Kodi add-ons or IPTV apps. ExpressVPN helps protect your privacy on file-sharing streaming apps with 256-bit encryption, DNS/IP leak protection, and a kill switch. Plus, its strict no-logs policy ensures that it will never record your activity when you use Fire Stick.
The only minor con is that it’s a bit more expensive than some VPNs — the plans start at $6.67/month. However, ExpressVPN usually offers generous discounts and coupons on its site, so you can save some money on your subscription. When I signed up for its 1-year plan, I got an additional 3 months of service completely free. Short-term plans are more expensive but offer the same features. So, you get better value with long-term plans.
You can test out all of ExpressVPN’s features completely risk-free since it’s backed by a 30-day money-back guarantee. If you’re not impressed, it’s easy to get a refund. After using the service for 23 days, I requested a refund using the live chat feature. The agent asked a few questions about my experience with the service and quickly approved my refund request. I had my money back in 2 days.
- 9,753+ servers in 91 countries, including specialty servers
- Military grade encryption, DNS/IP leak protection, a kill switch, and a no-logs policy
- 7 device connections
- Works With: Netflix, Disney+, Amazon Prime Video, Hulu, BBC iPlayer, HBO Max, Hotstar, and more
- Compatible with: Fire TV devices, Windows, Android, macOS, iOS, Linux, routers, smart TVs, and more
CyberGhost has a collection of streaming and torrenting-optimized servers. The torrenting servers are designed to boost P2P speeds, so are perfect for streaming with Kodi or IPTV. The streaming servers are designed for reliable access to specific streaming platforms on Fire Stick. I connected to its Hulu Firestick server and watched 4 episodes of Atlanta in HD without slowdowns.
Its fast speeds are ideal for streaming, too. Using its Seattle and Phoenix servers, I got an average of 45 Mbps. This is more than enough to enjoy buffer-free streaming on your Fire Stick in the best possible quality. It took no more than 4 seconds for each episode to load.
CyberGhost’s Fire Stick app is super easy to use, even if you’re a VPN beginner. It has a tailor-made app for Fire TV devices for hassle-free installation. I was able to download and install the app on my Fire Stick in less than 3 minutes. Plus, I could easily find and connect to a US server with just a few clicks. Since CyberGhost is compatible with a few routers and offers an APK file, you have the option of how you want to install it.
The only downside with CyberGhost is that its long-distance connections are not as fast as ExpressVPN. When I tested its Berkshire and London servers, the average speeds dropped to 38 Mbps. However, this drop was barely noticeable and I still had plenty of speed for HD streaming.
Plans are affordable — you can get a subscription for as low as $2.19/month. Short-term plans are also available, but they’re a bit pricier per month, and come with a shortened refund period (14 days vs 45 days). To get the best value, I recommend signing up for its long-term options.
CyberGhost’s refund guarantee is one you can count on; I had no issues getting my money back. Since I signed up for the long-term option, I had 45days to test it. So after 39 days, I reached out via the 24/7 live chat feature and asked for my money back. The support agent asked why I wanted to cancel, then approved my request after I gave my reason. I saw the money back in my account in 3 days.
- 200+ servers in 63 countries
- Fast speeds and unlimited bandwidth
- Robust security features and a no-logs policy
- Works with: Netflix, Disney+, Amazon Prime Video, Hulu, BBC iPlayer, HBO Max, Hotstar, and more
- Compatible with: Fire TV devices, Windows, Android, macOS, iOS, Linux, routers, smart TVs, and more
PrivateVPN’s native app for Fire devices lets you enjoy content from anywhere. It took me less than 4 minutes to install it from the Amazon Appstore. When I tested it, I could instantly unblock Netflix in every country I tested it with, including the US, Germany, and the UK. It was just as reliable for BBC iPlayer and Disney+, which are both notorious for their tough geoblocks.
The speeds are fast, so you can stream on Fire Stick in HD without any lag. I tested 4 US servers, and the download speeds never dropped below 40 Mbps. On its long-distance Australia server, I found an average of 33 Mbps. This still let me watch The Secret on Netflix Australia completely free of buffering — even when streaming in HD.
It pairs strong security features with a no-logs policy and its entire network is P2P-friendly. While 256-bit encryption secures your traffic, its DNS/IP leak protection and a kill switch ensure that your location and personal data are not exposed. I ran 7 servers through a leak detecting tool, and there were no vulnerabilities. You can use Kodi and IPTV apps on your Fire Stick safely.
On the downside, its server network is smaller than some. I was expecting this to result in overcrowding, slow speeds, or difficulty with unblocking streaming sites. However, every server I used worked smoothly with the platforms I tested them with.
Subscriptions are wallet-friendly and you can sign up for as low as $2/month. Short-term plans offering the same features are also available but at a higher price. Therefore, the long-term option is the best value and will save you the most money in the long run.
All the plans are backed by a 30-day money-back guarantee, so you can test out PrivateVPN’s features completely risk-free. To make sure it stands by its guarantee, I contacted support using the 24/7 live chat feature. The support agent was super helpful and only asked 2 quick questions about my experience. After that, they approved my refund request. I got my money back after 5 days.
There are a few methods for installing a VPN on Fire Stick. For example, you can set up a virtual router hotspot on your Windows PC or Mac, and through that, connect your Fire Stick to the VPN. However, this can be a time-consuming process. The easiest method is to get a VPN that’s compatible with Fire devices, like ExpressVPN. Its native app allows you to skip the manual configuration and get straight to streaming on your Fire Stick.
Listed below are the 3 easiest methods that will work so long as your Fire device supports VPNs (1st-gen Fire Sticks do not support VPNs at all) and you’ve chosen the right provider. I’ve used ExpressVPN as an example for these steps since it works with each of these methods.
Note: These methods work for Fire Stick, Fire TV, and Fire Cube. The steps included are also going to be exactly the same. However, for simplicity’s sake, I’ll only be referencing Amazon Fire TV Stick in the steps below.
Install a VPN on Fire Stick Through the Amazon Appstore
- Search for the VPN app. Go to the search bar on your device’s home page and look for the VPN app. If it doesn’t show up, you’ll need to use the second method.
- Download & launch the app. Click the Download button and give it a minute to install. Find the app in your application list and open it.
- Log in to your account. In order to use the VPN app, you need to log in with the credentials you used to set up your VPN subscription.
- Connect and start streaming. Choose a country where the streaming platform you want to access is available, connect to the server, and watch with no restrictions.
If the VPN doesn’t offer an app for Fire Stick, you can manually download the VPN’s APK file. VPNs that offer this will provide the downloadable file on their website. For example, you can download ExpressVPN’s APK file directly from its website. I don’t recommend downloading APK files from a third-party website, as these may be modded or contain malware.
- Set up the permissions. Before you install any APKs on your Amazon Fire TV Stick, you need to go to the settings tab, then “My Fire TV” and find the Developer Options. You will see an option called “Install unknown apps” – click on it and turn it on. If you wish, you can deactivate it after you install the VPN.
- Get the Downloader app. You can find this app by searching "Downloader" in the search bar of Amazon's app store. Follow the prompts to download it. Then, click "Open" to start the app.
- Download the VPN’s APK file. Most VPN providers will provide a link for an APK file download directly on their website. Copy and paste this link in the Downloader app, and you should see the install option. If not, navigate to your list of downloads in the Downloader app, and click the APK file from there.
- Launch the VPN. Since you installed the VPN through another app, you’ll find it under Settings > Applications > Manage Installed Applications.
- Sign in to your VPN app. Use the credentials you signed up with.
- Connect and start streaming. Choose a server where the platform you want to access is available, and enjoy your favorite shows.
Install a VPN on Fire Stick With Your Router
If your VPN doesn’t have an APK file, there’s also the option to set it up on a supported router. This way, all your devices (including Fire Stick and Fire TV) connected to the router can use the VPN connection. However, you’ll need a VPN that is compatible with routers — I recommend ExpressVPN since it provides native apps for several different router models.
Below, I’ve provided steps for setting up ExpressVPN on Linksys routers. However, the steps are going to vary a little for each router model, so I can’t provide a detailed step-by-step guide for each one. You can usually find instructions on the VPN’s site for specific router models if it is compatible with routers.
- Download the ExpressVPN firmware. You can download it from the ExpressVPN website. To do that, go to your Dashboard, click “set up other devices”, and select routers. Under the “Firmware download” section, select your router model from the list and click Download Firmware.
- Connect your router to the internet. After that, connect your device on which you downloaded the firmware to the router. Ignore this step if already connected.
- Install the ExpressVPN firmware. In your web browser’s address bar, enter 192.168.1.1. If prompted, enter your router credentials to sign in. On the admin panel, click Connectivity, select Choose File, and select the firmware you just downloaded. Then click Start. Follow the prompts to finish the installation process and initiate a reboot of the router.
- Complete the setup on the router. Connect your device to the router. Once connected, you should see your router’s setup page. Follow the on-screen instructions to complete the VPN setup, and you’re all set!
Install a VPN on Fire Stick Using a Hotspot
The virtual router method setup is a bit complicated and it slows down your speeds, so I don’t recommend it. If your VPN provider doesn’t have an app or a downloadable APK file, I suggest switching to a VPN provider that has a native app for Fire Stick, like ExpressVPN.
- Connect your VPN. Choose a server in the location you wish to stream from and connect to it. For example, if you want to stream Netflix US, you should use a US server.
- Navigate to Network settings. On your PC, open Network settings, choose “Mobile Hotspot” option and turn it on.
- Scroll down to related settings. Under this, go into adapter options, which will open a window called Network Connections. Here, you’ll see a network called Local Area Connection #.
- Locate your VPN connection. Use your VPN’s name to access this (i.e., “ExpressVPN Wintun Driver”). Then, right-click to open “Properties”.
- Allow sharing. Go into the sharing tab, and check the box that says “Allow other network users to connect through this computer’s Internet connection.”
- Go into Home Networking Connection. Select the name of the mobile hotspot (Local Area Connection #) and click “OK”.
- Set up your Fire Stick connection. On your Fire Stick, navigate to Settings > Network and then connect to your PC’s network.
- Start streaming on your Fire Stick. Your VPN is now connected to your Fire Stick by using your PC as a mobile hotspot.
- Share your internet connection. On your macOS device, navigate to System Preferences > Sharing > Internet Sharing. Under “Share your connection from”, select your VPN. Under “To computers using”, choose WiFi.
- Create a name and password. Click “WiFi options” and choose any name you wish for your password and hotspot connection. If you see a pop-up that says, “To share your Internet connection, you must turn on WiFi,” click “Turn WiFi On”.
- Turn on Internet Sharing. If you see a pop-up saying, “Are you sure you want to turn on Internet sharing?” click “Start”.
- Connect your VPN. Open up the VPN app on your Mac and choose a server to connect to (depending on the location you wish to stream from).
- Set up your Fire Stick connection. Go to Settings > Network > and then connect to the network you just set up.
- Start streaming on Fire Stick. Your Fire Stick is now connected to your VPN by using your Mac’s mobile hotspot.
Why You Need a VPN for Amazon Fire TV Stick
You can use the Amazon Fire TV Stick in most countries, but much of its content is region-locked. For example, platforms like Hulu, Disney+, BBC iPlayer, and HBO Max can only be accessed from certain locations, due to licensing restrictions. The easiest way to access them is by installing a VPN on your device.
A VPN bypasses any geoblocks set by the streaming platforms by changing your IP address. This makes streaming sites like Netflix and Hulu believe that you’re accessing the site from a permitted location. That way, you can watch geo-restricted shows and movies on your Fire Stick no matter where you are.
It’s also helpful for using Kodi add-ons and IPTV apps that stream through P2P networks. A VPN not only hides your real IP address and location but encrypts your traffic. This hides your online activity and keeps you safe on shared networks. Keep in mind that although Kodi add-ons contain a lot of content that’s legal to watch, it also contains apps that stream content protected by copyright. We don’t condone using a VPN to hide illegal activities, and using a VPN to watch copyrighted content doesn’t make it legal — please watch responsibly.
FAQs on Installing a VPN on Amazon Fire TV Stick
Can I use my Amazon Fire TV Stick in any country?
Fire Stick is available in most countries, but not all. If you take your Fire Stick with you to a different country, you’ll have to update your location in your Amazon account. This will allow you to use the device, as long as it’s a supported country. Keep in mind, that the content you get access to will vary from country to country. To easily access content or apps from different locations, you can install a VPN on your Fire Stick.
What if my VPN is not working with Amazon Fire TV Stick?
First, make sure that your VPN is compatible with Fire Stick. All the VPNs on this list have simple-to-install apps for Fire Stick.
If your VPN supports Fire Stick and it still doesn’t work, try the following:
- Make sure you have a 2nd-gen or later Fire Stick. The first-generation Fire Sticks do not support VPNs at all, so your VPN won’t work with them.
- Switch to a different server. Maybe there are some issues with the server you’re trying to connect to. In that case, switching to a different server can help.
- Restart your Fire Stick. Go to Settings, select My Fire TV, and click Restart. Doing this can also sometimes resolve the issue.
- Reinstall your VPN. If there’s an error with your app, reinstalling it could potentially fix the problem. Just uninstall the app, reinstall it with the latest version, and then try connecting.
Will a VPN unblock Netflix US on Fire Stick?
Yes, in addition to other Netflix libraries. However, Netflix US uses strong geoblocks, and not all VPNs can get past these. For reliable access to Netflix US, it’s best to use a VPN with several US servers, that doesn’t leak your IP. This way, when you connect to a US server, your Netflix library will be updated to this location on Fire Stick. A VPN with strong unblocking abilities will also let you enjoy content from several other streaming platforms, like Hulu, BBC iPlayer, and Hotstar.
Can I use a free VPN for Amazon Fire TV Stick?
Yes, but I don’t recommend it. It’s always better to use a low-cost premium VPN that offers fast speeds, unlimited data, and a worldwide server network.
Free VPNs usually don’t work to unblock streaming sites. They either don’t have the finances to update their servers to keep up with VPN blocks, or block streaming altogether to encourage you to upgrade to a paid subscription. On top of this, some free VPNs have been known to infect users' devices with malware — so they're not always the safest option. A few free VPNs have top security and can keep you safe while using Kodi add-ons or streaming on IPTV. However, limited data and capped speeds make streaming almost impossible.
Is it legal to use a VPN on a jailbroken Fire Stick?
Yes, installing a VPN on a jailbroken Fire Stick is completely legal. A jailbroken Fire Stick simply means that it's unlocked, so you can sideload third-party apps that are not available on Amazon Appstore. In fact, jailbreaking your Fire Stick is part of the necessary steps (in Developer Options) for downloading a VPN via the APK file method.
Start Using a VPN on Fire Stick Now
There are several ways to install a VPN on Fire Stick — the easiest being via a native app. While the alternative options are not too difficult, they require a bit more manual configuration. So it’s best to choose a VPN that is versatile with its setup options, so you can choose which one works best for you.
ExpressVPN was easiest to install on Fire Stick — it has a dedicated app on Amazon Appstore, so there’s no manual configuration required. Unlike many VPNs, it even provides native apps for routers. Plus, it has lightning-fast speeds, a huge server network, and strong security to protect you if you use Kodi or IPTV on your Fire device. You can try ExpressVPN risk-free since it’s backed by a 30-day money-back guarantee. If you’re not happy, you can get a full refund.
To summarize, the best VPNs for Amazon Fire TV Stick are…
Your data is exposed to the websites you visit!
Your IP Address:
Your Internet Provider:
The information above can be used to track you, target you for ads, and monitor what you do online.
VPNs can help you hide this information from websites so that you are protected at all times. We recommend ExpressVPN — the #1 VPN out of over 350 providers we've tested. It has military-grade encryption and privacy features that will ensure your digital security, plus — it's currently offering 49% off.