How to Get a NordVPN Free Trial: Easy Guide for 2023
NordVPN is one of the most popular VPNs around, so it’s understandable that you’re tempted to try it out. The good news is that NordVPN offers a free trial, so you can test its features, speeds, and user-friendly app on Android for 7 days without paying a cent.
Additionally, NordVPN comes with a 30-day money-back guarantee if you want to try it out risk-free on other devices for a longer time. Sure, you’ll need to pay for your subscription upfront, but you can cancel at any time during those 30 days and get all your money back. You won’t have to empty your wallet as NordVPN offers short- and long-term plans discounted by up to 69%.
I put NordVPN’s refund policy to the test by signing up and requesting my money back. Its 24/7 live chat support time was helpful and instantly approved my request after just a few questions about my experience. I also tried the 7-day free trial. So read on to find out how to get them and what their advantages and disadvantages are.
How to Get a NordVPN Free Trial: Easy Step-By-Step Guide
Get NordVPN's 7-Day Free Trial on Android
NordVPN’s free trial is available to all new users but only through Android. All you need is access to an Android device, a Google Play Store account, and a verified payment method. If you’ve got that ready, here are the steps to get NordVPN’s 7-day free trial:
- Visit the Google Play Store and install the NordVPN app. Once the app is installed, tap the “Sign Up” button to get started.
- On the next page, tap the “Try for free” button. NordVPN will automatically sign you up for the 1-year plan. If you want to change this, you can tap “See all plans” below the free trial button and change it. Otherwise, just follow the instructions to check your subscription details and confirm your payment method via the Google Play Store.
- Test NordVPN for 7 days. You may need to provide NordVPN with some permissions the first time you launch the app.
Get NordVPN Free for 30 Days on Any Device
NordVPN has a 30-day money-back guarantee that you can use to test it on any compatible devices. Like the 7-day free trial, you just need an email and one of the accepted payment methods. I’ll show you the step-by-step instructions using Edge on my Windows laptop. However, it is the same on any other device:
- Visit NordVPN’s website. Click the “Get the Deal” button and choose your package and subscription length. The Plus and Complete plans have extra features, like a password manager, data breach scanner, cloud storage, and file encryption. I tried NordVPN’s longest plan as it was the cheapest at $2.99/month, but you can also go for the monthly plan if you prefer.
- Provide your email and payment details. For extra privacy, you can pay with cryptocurrencies like Bitcoin, Ethereum, and Ripple.
- Click the download app button. Run the installer and follow the instructions to complete the installation (you can keep all the default settings).
- Once the app loads, click the “Log in” button.
- Enter your login details. NordVPN will send you a confirmation email with a verification code. Copy and paste the verification code into the field, and NordVPN will ask you to create a new password.
- Click “Continue” to launch the app. NordVPN will let you know that you successfully logged in.
- Enjoy using NordVPN for 30 days risk-free. After confirming some settings, you’ll be taken through to the main app dashboard, where you can immediately connect to a server and start using the VPN.
How to Cancel the NordVPN Free Trial
Cancel NordVPN's 7-Day Free Trial on Android
NordVPN will not levy any fees, given that you cancel your subscription within a period of 7 days.
- Open the Google Play Store. Then go to “Payments and subscriptions.”
- Find NordVPN and tap the “Cancel subscription” button at the bottom of the page. You may need to complete a couple of confirmation steps.
- Check your NordVPN subscription to make sure it's deactivated. This should be immediate, and you won’t be charged once the 7-day trial runs out. You can still use the app as usual for the remainder of the trial period.
How to Get a Refund Using NordVPN's 30-Day Money-Back Guarantee
Similarly, you can cancel your NordVPN subscription within 30 days and get a full refund if you opted for the money-back guarantee trial. The refund is guaranteed, so although the support will ask you some questions, you’ll get your money back no matter what. The only exception is that NordVPN cannot process refunds for purchases made through the App Store. In that case, you’ll need to contact the App Store support for a refund.
- Sign in to your NordVPN account. Click on “Billing” in the side menu.
- Go to your subscriptions and select the one you want to cancel.
- Deactivate auto-renewal for your NordVPN subscription. This will ensure that it won’t automatically renew your account and charge you when your trial period is up.
- Contact customer support to request a refund. NordVPN offers 24/7 live chat support, so it’s easy to get in touch with a support agent at any time. You may be greeted by the chatbot first, but you can simply request the attention of a live agent. Just click the live chat widget at the bottom corner of the screen to get started.
- Check your account for your returned payment. According to NordVPN, this can take between 5–10 days, but I got my refund within a couple of hours.
What You Get With Your NordVPN Free Trial Account
Tested December 2023 Try Risk-Free for 30 Days
|Server Network||5,974 servers in 60 countries across all major regions|
|Security & Privacy||Military-grade 256-bit AES encryption, kill switch, split tunneling, perfect forward secrecy, and more|
|Can Unblock||Netflix (US and other libraries), Hulu, Disney+, BBC iPlayer, HBO Max, Amazon Prime Video, DAZN, ESPN, Sky, Showtime, YouTube TV, and others|
|Compatible With||Windows, Linux, Android, macOS, iOS, Chromebook, Apple TV, Amazon Fire TV, Chrome, Firefox, Edge, PlayStation, Xbox, Roku, routers, and more|
NordVPN boasts remarkable speeds. While it's typical for a VPN to slightly decrease your speeds, the Quick Connect feature resulted in just a 3% reduction for me. When I connected to international servers in the US, there was only a 23% decline. This allowed for seamless streaming on platforms like HBO Max or Hulu without interruptions. Given that most servers support P2P, torrenting is also swift.
NordVPN is a great option if you’re conscious about your privacy and security. It’s based in Panama, a privacy-friendly jurisdiction outside the 5/9/14 Eyes Alliance without any data retention laws. Its no-logs policy has been independently verified multiple times. Plus, all internet activity using NordVPN only travels through private DNS servers. I personally tested it for IP/DNS leaks and didn’t find any during my trial period.
I found it a little annoying that the Windows app was sometimes slow to launch. But this was a small issue because the app is otherwise very user-friendly. The servers are neatly organized according to their type and location, so you can quickly find the right one. You won’t waste your free trial just getting to know the app.
Both trial choices give you the opportunity to try out NordVPN's specialized servers. The Double VPN function routes your data through two separate servers, enhancing your anonymity, whereas Obfuscated servers help you bypass anti-VPN firewalls on tightly controlled networks. The package also comes with servers optimized for P2P, as well as Onion Over VPN and Dedicated IP servers.
- NordLynx. NordVPN has developed its own VPN protocol, which is based on WireGuard and optimized for speed and performance. All the apps use NordLynx by default.
- Threat Protection. This feature protects you from malicious ads, trackers, websites, and malware hidden in downloaded files.
- Auto-protected connection. NordVPN lets you connect automatically depending on your network. You can set it to always auto-connect on all networks or only on Wi-Fi, Ethernet, or Mobile networks. Alternatively, you can set it to never auto-connect.
- Meshnet. This is another unique NordVPN feature that lets you set up private connections between your devices so that you can securely share files between them or remotely access them. Since NordVPN allows 6 simultaneous connections, you can even share it with family members.
FAQs on Getting a NordVPN Free Trial
Does NordVPN have a free trial on iPhone?
NordVPN doesn’t have a free trial for iPhones as it does for Android phones, but you can still make use of its 30-day money-back guarantee.
To get the money-back guarantee on iOS, you should subscribe to NordVPN first and then install and sign into the iOS app with your account. In the unlikely event that you’re not satisfied, you can still cancel your plan within 30 days and get a full refund.
The catch is that NordVPN cannot process refunds for purchases made through the Apple App Store. So, if you buy NordVPN using your Apple ID, you’ll need to request a refund from the App Store’s support.
Can I get a NordVPN free trial with no credit card?
Unfortunately, NordVPN requires you to enter your payment information to get your free trial. To activate the free trial on Android, you still need a payment method (debit or credit card) associated with your Play Store account. With the 7-day free trial through Android, you won’t be charged upfront, but if you choose the money-back guarantee trial, the necessary funds will be withdrawn. However, those funds will be returned to you if you ask for a refund within the money-back guarantee period.
How can I cancel my NordVPN free trial?
You can cancel your NordVPN free trial by contacting support before the trial ends. If you signed up for the 7-day free trial on Android, instead of contacting support, you can open your account settings in the Google Play Store app. Find NordVPN under your “Payments and subscriptions” and cancel it.
Does NordVPN charge after a free trial?
Yes, NordVPN will start charging you after your free trial ends unless you cancel your subscription before the trial period is over. If you decide to continue using NordVPN after your Android free trial, you will automatically be charged based on the subscription plan you choose.
Is it better to use NordVPN’s free trial instead of a free VPN?
Yes, it's better to use NordVPN's free trial instead of a free VPN. While free VPNs may seem like an attractive option, they often have bandwidth, server, and speed limitations. Free VPNs also typically don’t provide the same level of security and privacy as NordVPN, which has advanced security features and a strict no-logs policy. Some free VPNs even come bundled with malware or sell your private information.
By using NordVPN's free trial, you can test its service without any limitations or compromises. It also gives you enough time to get a better idea of whether or not NordVPN is the right choice for you.
Can I use NordVPN's free trial more than once?
You can only sign up for one 7-day free trial per account. If you cancel your subscription after using the free trial, you won’t be eligible for another free trial with the same account. However, you will still be covered by its 30-day money-back guarantee.
How does NordVPN's free trial compare to other top VPNs' free trials?
NordVPN offers a decent free trial and happens to be one of the top VPNs that I have tested. Here is how it compares to some of the other premium VPN services with free trials:
Get a NordVPN Free Trial in Minutes
NordVPN’s 7-day free trial is easy to sign up for, but you can only get it through Android. If you want more time to try out NordVPN risk-free and use it on different devices, a better option is to go with the 30-day money-back guarantee. I tried it out myself and got my refund approved within minutes, thanks to its helpful 24/7 live chat support. My case was handled promptly, and my money was back in my account within the same day.
To summarize, these are the best NordVPN alternatives with free trials
Your data is exposed to the websites you visit!
Your IP Address:
Your Internet Provider:
The information above can be used to track you, target you for ads, and monitor what you do online.
VPNs can help you hide this information from websites so that you are protected at all times. We recommend ExpressVPN — the #1 VPN out of over 350 providers we've tested. It has military-grade encryption and privacy features that will ensure your digital security, plus — it's currently offering 49% off.