5 Best VPNs to Watch Australian TV: Stream Online in 2024
- Best VPNs for Australian TV — Full Analysis (Updated 2024)
- ExpressVPN — Consistently Fast Speeds for Quality Australian TV Streaming
- CyberGhost — Streaming-Optimized Servers for Watching Australian TV Seamlessly
- Private Internet Access (PIA) — Customizable VPN for Smooth Australian TV Streaming
- NordVPN — Intuitive Apps for Watching Australian TV in UHD With Ease
- Surfshark — Unlimited Device Connections for Watching Australian TV With the Whole Family
- Quick Comparison Table: Australian TV VPN Features
- Tips on Choosing the Best VPN for Watching Australian TV
- Quick Guide: How to Watch Australian TV With a VPN in 3 Easy Steps
- FAQs on VPNs for Watching Australian TV
- Get the Best VPN for Watching Australian TV
Finding a good VPN for watching Australian TV in UHD without excessive lagging can be a difficult task. Often, VPN services can prove slower than expected, or they don’t even have a server in Australia available for use. For this reason, I compiled a helpful list of VPNs that worked the best for watching Australian TV during my tests.
Due to licensing restrictions, most Australian TV platforms aren’t available to viewers outside of the country. And while a VPN can change your IP address, hypothetically letting you stream Australian TV from anywhere, doing so goes against most streaming platforms’ Terms and Conditions. It could even be considered copyright infringement, which we do not condone.
However, if you’re in Australia and want to stream your favorite shows in UHD without your ISP throttling your speeds, my top recommendation is ExpressVPN. It has consistently fast speeds and works well with Australian TV channels and platforms. You can try ExpressVPN out risk-free, as it offers a generous 30-day money-back guarantee.
Short on Time? Here Are the Best VPNs for Watching Australian TV in 2024
- Editor's ChoiceExpressVPN
Fastest Australian server network for UHD streaming, plus a 30-day money-back guarantee.70% of our readers choose ExpressVPN
AU streaming-optimized servers to binge-watch 10Play, Netflix AU, Stan, and 9Now.
- Private Internet Access
Advanced customization options to optimize your speeds for seamless streaming.
Easy-to-use apps that make it easy for beginners to stream Australian TV securely.
Unlimited device connections to watch Australian TV securely in HD on all your devices.
Best VPNs for Australian TV — Full Analysis (Updated 2024)
Tested February 2024 Try Risk-Free for 30 Days
|Excellent speeds for watching Australian TV lag-free, no matter where you are in the country
|3,000 servers in 105 countries, including 7 Australian locations
|Simultaneous Device Connections
|8 to watch Australian TV securely on all your devices
|Netflix AU, Amazon Prime Video AU, Hulu, Stan, 7Plus, BINGE, Kayo Sports, 10Play, 9Now, and more
ExpressVPN’s fast speeds make it an excellent choice for watching Australian TV in UHD. Its secure proprietary Lightway protocol enhances your speeds for buffer-free streaming. When I tested its Australian servers from Brisbane, I got an average speed drop of 8% from my base connection. This is really impressive, considering that some servers are more than 4,000 km away from me.
It has more Australian server locations than any other VPN I tested, with 7 locations across 6 cities. This means you’re more likely to find a server closer to you, giving you better speeds since your data doesn’t need to travel as far. Even when I was connected to the faraway Perth server, I watched Love Island Australia on 9Now with zero lagging.
You can watch Australian content securely in UHD on a wide array of devices with ExpressVPN. This includes Windows, macOS, Linux, iOS, Android, Kindle Fire, and even smart TVs and game consoles if you install it on a router. The setup is easy, and there are detailed guides on its website for each device to walk you through the process quickly. If you’re unsure about something, you can always use the 24/7 live chat.
The cheapest plan it offers costs $6.67/month. Although it’s a little expensive, the speeds at which it allows you to stream Australian shows and movies are well worth the price. Additionally, you can try ExpressVPN out without risk, as it offers a 30-day money-back guarantee. So, if you’re not satisfied, you can easily request a refund.
- Easy-to-use apps. The interface shows only the relevant information you need for watching Australian TV, so you won’t get stressed out with too many settings to think about. All you need to do is find and connect to an Australian server from within the country, as the app comes pre-configured with the best settings.
- Shortcuts to favorite services. You can customize ExpressVPN to watch Australian TV in just a couple of clicks by saving links to your most used local services. These appear on the main screen of the desktop app, which is quite convenient.
- Smart location. The feature automatically chooses the fastest server near your location, so it’s great for watching local AU platforms. With one click, you’ll get UHD-friendly speeds in Australia.
- Split tunneling. This lets you route some device traffic through the VPN while other traffic uses your local unencrypted network. It provides flexibility and ensures fast speeds, as you can conserve your bandwidth for streaming.
|Servers optimized for 9Now, 10Play, Stan, and Netflix AU, so you don’t have to hunt for the best connection
|11,683 servers in 100 countries, including 3 Australian locations
|Simultaneous Device Connections
|Connect up to 7 devices at the same time to watch Australian TV
|Netflix AU, Amazon Prime Video AU, 9Now, 10Play, Kayo Sports, BINGE, Stan, and more
CyberGhost offers servers that are specifically optimized for better streaming speeds and reliable connections on Netflix AU, Stan, 9Now, and 10Play. I watched Wellmania on Netflix in UHD with a server speed of 102.87 Mbps — a 17% drop. Although this was slower than ExpressVPN, it was still more than enough to watch without buffering during testing.
Its beginner-friendly and intuitive app makes it easy to find the fastest, most reliable server for Australian TV. The Australian streaming servers are easy to find by typing “Australia” in the search bar or clicking the For streaming tab on the left-hand side of the app. Plus, it lets you favorite servers so you can connect to them easily next time.
CyberGhost’s Smart rules make the app even more user-friendly. You can configure the app to connect to the nearest server when you launch specific apps like Netflix. Or, you can set it to automatically connect whenever it detects you’re using public WiFi. So, your data is always protected, even when you’re catching up on Love Island Australia while grabbing a coffee.
The one downside to CyberGhost is that the short-term plan is a bit expensive; however, the long-term plan, which starts at $2.03/month, is much more cost-effective. You can try it out completely free since CyberGhost offers a 45-day money-back guarantee.
- Content Blocker. This feature blocks invasive ads, data trackers, and harmful spam. This enhances your streaming experience by preventing unwanted interruptions and preserving bandwidth for smoother streaming.
- Smart DNS. CyberGhost's Smart DNS service allows you to stream Australian TV in good quality from wherever you are in the country on devices that don't support VPN apps, like older smart TVs, gaming consoles, Roku, and more.
- Available on a wide range of devices. CyberGhost’s extensive device support means you can effortlessly switch between devices while streaming Australian TV, ensuring a seamless viewing experience whether you're on a mobile device, computer, or smart TV.
|Customizable options to tailor your connection for the best streaming speeds in Australia
|29,650 servers in 91 countries, including 6 Australian locations, out of which one is optimized for streaming
|Simultaneous Device Connections
|Unlimited to watch Australian TV without interrupting anyone else’s secure connection in the household
|Netflix AU, Stan, Kayo Sports, BINGE, and more
PIA’s highly customizable apps give you the flexibility to optimize your connection for streaming your favorite Australian TV shows. You can use OpenVPN with 128-bit encryption for faster streaming speeds or the more secure 256-bit encryption for sensitive activities. Or, use WireGuard for a great balance between speed and security.
While it’s not as fast as ExpressVPN or CyberGhost, I could still watch SBS On Demand lag-free from Brisbane. When I tested its speeds on several Australian servers near me, I recorded an average speed of 101.54 Mbps (around an 18% drop).
As much as I love all the customization options available, they can be a bit overwhelming, particularly if you don’t have much experience with VPNs. However, you don’t have to change any settings if you don’t want to, as the app comes pre-configured.
Its pricing is quite affordable. Personally, I like the longest plan as it gives the best value. PIA offers a 30-day money-back guarantee, so you can try it out confidently, and in case you’re not satisfied, customer support will quickly process your refund.
- Huge server network. PIA has the biggest number of servers of any VPN I’ve tested, so there’s always an alternative Australian server available if you’re having technical problems with your current one. More servers reduce network congestion, too, which translates to better speeds.
- Australian streaming-optimized location. PIA’s streaming servers are regularly maintained to provide the best speeds for smooth streaming. However, unlike CyberGhost’s servers, they’re not optimized for specific streaming services, only for streaming in Australia.
- Built-in ad blocker. PIA’s ad blocker, MACE, effectively blocks malicious ads and trackers, enhancing your streaming by preventing annoying pop-ups. Plus, it can help preserve battery life on mobile devices and improve overall speeds by limiting data downloads.
|Easy-to-use apps make it easy for VPN beginners to stream Australian TV securely
|6,088 servers in 61 countries, including 5 Australian locations
|Simultaneous Device Connections
|6 to watch Australian TV wherever you are in the country
|Netflix AU, Amazon Prime Video AU, Stan, Kayo Sports, 7Plus, and more
NordVPN's easy-to-use apps are designed so that absolute beginners can enjoy Australian TV securely. I found its user interface to be one of the most straightforward ones that I tested, as its app is uncluttered and simple. Plus, its Auto-connect feature will find you the best server based on your location and preferences. I set it to connect me to Australia (Brisbane), which is the closest city to me, saving me a lot of time during testing.
NordVPN’s proprietary NordLynx protocol offers great speeds for streaming. It’s based on WireGuard, ensuring fast and secure VPN connections. When testing from Brisbane, I recorded an average 15% speed drop across NordVPN’s Australian servers.
The biggest issue I encountered was that it would sometimes take up to 30 seconds to connect to nearby Australian servers. But, if one server took a while to connect, I’d just switch to another one, which would work immediately.
You can easily try NordVPN out as it offers a 30-day money-back guarantee. When I requested a refund, customer support processed it in just a few days.
- Threat Protection. This feature actively blocks malicious websites and ads, scans downloaded files for malware, and, most importantly, prevents user tracking. Streaming platforms like Netflix collect a ton of data about you based on what you watch, so this helps you protect your privacy.
- SmartPlay technology. This combines the benefits of a VPN and Smart DNS, letting you stream Australian TV channels from within the country in Ultra HD more reliably.
- Presets. This lets you customize presets with specific VPN settings and shortcuts to your favorite Australian TV channels or streaming services, so you can start watching content securely in Australia with just a few clicks. It’s currently only available for macOS, though.
|No limit on the number of devices on which you can watch Australian content securely
|3,200 servers in 100 countries, including 5 Australian locations
|Simultaneous Device Connections
|Unlimited, so you can protect all your devices at home with just one subscription
|Netflix AU, Amazon Prime Video AU, 7Plus, Stan, Kayo Sports, and more
One of Surfshark’s top qualities is the fact that it offers unlimited simultaneous device connections. It's ideal for large households that want to stream in Australia on different devices at the same time while protecting your online privacy. I tested it on a couple of devices, including my Windows PC, Android tablet, and iPhone, and the connection was fast and stable throughout.
It offers industry-leading connection protocols, like WireGuard, that enhance speed for uninterrupted streaming of Australian TV. Despite recording an average speed drop of 22%, which was a bit higher than the other VPNs on this list, the quality of the Amazon Prime Video (APV) AU shows I watched from Brisbane remained quite good.
I like that the app has a built-in speed testing tool, but I was disappointed that I couldn’t use this while connected to a server. However, it only takes a few seconds to connect, so it’s no hassle to disconnect, run a test, and jump back in.
If you’d like to try this VPN out yourself, you can do it without any risk, as there is a 30-day money-back guarantee. In case you end up preferring some other option, you can request a refund without much trouble.
- Bypasser tool. This split tunneling tool lets you choose which apps or websites bypass the VPN. You can stream Australian TV securely without your ISP throttling your speeds through the VPN while using other online services with your regular unencrypted connection.
- Good device compatibility. Surfshark's extensive compatibility lets you stream Australian TV on various devices. It works seamlessly with numerous operating systems like Windows, macOS, Linux, Android, and iOS. It also supports Fire TV, gaming consoles, and smart TVs.
Quick Comparison Table: Australian TV VPN Features
For a more detailed insight into the features of the recommended VPNs for streaming Australian TV securely, you can consult the comparison table I've provided. This table offers an overview of what each listed VPN is capable of.
Tips on Choosing the Best VPN for Watching Australian TV
I compiled a list of valuable features to look for when choosing a VPN for streaming Australian TV that you can use for your decision-making.
- Plenty of Australian servers. If you want to use a VPN while watching Australian TV, you need a service with several local servers in Australia. The more servers a VPN has in the country, the less user load, which means your speeds won’t be slowed down due to overcrowding.
- Fast speeds. To stream Deadloch or any other show in UHD without buffering, you need a server with fast speeds. I conducted speed tests on each of these VPNs connected to nearby Australian servers from Brisbane. The minimal speed for HD is 5 Mbps and 25 Mbps for UHD. Ideally, a VPN shouldn’t drop your speeds by more than 30%.
- Smooth streaming ability. The ability to stream without lag or buffering is a must. Some VPNs simply don’t perform well enough to let you stream Australian TV within the country uninterrupted. I tested each of these VPNs from my location in Brisbane to ensure I could stream Australian TV with no interruptions.
- Easy-to-use apps. The user interface should be intuitive and straightforward. I evaluated the simplicity of VPN apps, focusing on how quickly a beginner can get started with streaming. For example, if a VPN has options for bookmarking (favoriting) servers, it will help you connect and start streaming in seconds.
- Diverse device compatibility. A VPN should be compatible with many devices, such as PCs, smartphones, tablets, smart TVs, and gaming consoles. This way, you can connect any device you own to a VPN and watch Australian TV securely, no matter where you are in the country.
- Simultaneous device connections. The ability to connect multiple devices simultaneously is essential for large households or users with several devices. This is because the more devices you can connect, the less likely you’ll be interrupted while streaming securely in Australia.
- Offers good value for money. A balance between cost and features is key. I compared pricing, feature sets, and performance across various VPNs, determining which ones offer the most beneficial combination for streaming Australian TV.
Quick Guide: How to Watch Australian TV With a VPN in 3 Easy Steps
- Download a VPN. My top recommendation for watching Australian TV is ExpressVPN. It offers 7 Australian locations and the speed-enhancing Lightway protocol.
- From Australia, connect to a nearby server. Connect to a server close to your current location in Australia to get the best speeds.
- Start watching. Open your favorite platforms and stream Australian TV shows such as Survivor and Bad Behaviour securely in UHD.
FAQs on VPNs for Watching Australian TV
Can I watch Australian TV on my smart TV and other devices with a VPN?
Yes, you can watch Australian TV on smart TVs and other devices using a VPN. The VPNs included in this article are compatible with a wide range of devices, including Windows, macOS, Linux, iOS, and Android. In addition, they work with Kindle Fire, smart TVs, and gaming consoles, thanks to additional features like Smart DNS and router compatibility.
If you have a device or operating system that VPNs have a native app for, the setup process is simple — just install the app and connect to a local server in Australia.
You’ll need to choose a VPN with Smart DNS or configure it on your router in case you have a device that doesn’t support VPNs, such as older smart TVs, Roku, Xbox, or PlayStation. Using a VPN router means that all devices connected to the router will share the same VPN connection.
What Australian channels or streaming platforms can I watch while using a VPN?
With a VPN, you can watch a variety of Australian channels and streaming platforms from within the country while keeping your online data safe. From Australia, I tested each of these VPNs with a variety of streaming platforms, including:
|SBS On Demand
|Amazon Prime Video AU
|9Now (Channel 9)
|7Plus (Channel 7)
These Australian channels and platforms offer a lot of popular shows. Some of them include Deadloch, Safe Home, Australian Survivor, Harrow, Janet King, Year Of, Boy Swallows Universe, The Lost Flowers of Alice Hart, Ten Pound Poms, The Challenge: Australia, NCIS: Sydney, Secret City, Love Island Australia, Bad Behaviour, Mystery Road, The Peripheral, Tidelands, and sports like the Premier League.
Can I watch Australian TV in the UK, US, or overseas?
You can only watch Australian TV overseas if it’s available on a licensed platform in that country, like BBC iPlayer in the UK or Hulu in the US. This is due to licensing restrictions that only allow the show to be aired in specific countries. That’s why if you want to use a VPN while streaming your local Australian TV, you need to connect to a server within Australia.
While a VPN can technically be used to change your IP address, theoretically letting you access Australian TV shows from anywhere, doing this goes against most streaming platforms' Terms and Conditions. Plus, it could be considered copyright infringement.
You can find some Australian shows and movies outside of the country on the following platforms:
- Bluey (Disney+ in the UK)
- Five Bedrooms (Peacock TV in the US)
- The Traitors Australia (Peacock TV in the US, Crave in Canada)
- Surviving Summer (Netflix Original, available in all Netflix regions)
- Colin from Accounts (BBC iPlayer in the UK)
Is watching Australian TV with a VPN legal?
Using a VPN while streaming Australian TV from within the country is legal. VPNs are legitimate tools that are commonly used for privacy and security purposes. However, using a VPN to hypothetically access Australian platforms from abroad goes against most streaming services’ T&Cs and could even be considered copyright infringement. The team and I don’t condone using a VPN for any illicit activity.
Also, even though VPNs are legal in Australia, some countries, like China, Russia, or the UAE, restrict VPN use. It’s important that you’re fully aware of all the applicable laws and regulations of the region you’re in before using a VPN.
Can I use a free VPN while watching Australian TV?
You can, but I don’t recommend using a free VPN while watching Australian TV. Free VPNs often have limitations such as data caps, slower speeds, fewer server locations, and less robust security features. Many don’t even offer local servers in Australia. For a better streaming experience and enhanced privacy, it’s a better option to choose a premium VPN with fast, secure Australian servers.
Get the Best VPN for Watching Australian TV
With a fast and reliable VPN, you can watch Australian TV from within the country securely with no lag. The hardest thing is finding one that works best for you and your needs. So I did extensive research and testing to shortlist the best services I found for streaming in Australia.
My top choice for watching Australian TV is ExpressVPN, as its server speeds and server reliability are unmatched. You can try it out without any risk since it offers a 30-day money-back guarantee no matter which plan you choose.
To summarize, these are the best VPNs for watching Australian TV
Your data is exposed to the websites you visit!
Your IP Address:
Your Internet Provider:
The information above can be used to track you, target you for ads, and monitor what you do online.
VPNs can help you hide this information from websites so that you are protected at all times. We recommend ExpressVPN — the #1 VPN out of over 350 providers we've tested. It has military-grade encryption and privacy features that will ensure your digital security, plus — it's currently offering 49% off.