How to Delete Instagram Account (Or Deactivate) – Easy Way
- Quick Guide: How to Delete Your Instagram Account in 3 Easy Steps
- Pro Tip: Save Your Instagram Data First
- Deactivating vs. Deleting: What You Need to Know
- How to Delete Your Instagram Account Permanently: Step-by-Step Guide
- How to Deactivate Your Instagram Account Temporarily
- How to Reactivate Your Instagram Account
- How to Stay Safe on Instagram
- FAQs on Deleting Your Instagram Account
Finding Instagram's delete option can feel like a puzzle. Most guides online are outdated, still saying you cannot delete your Instagram account via the mobile app. You can stop wasting your precious time looking for information that’s actually easy to find.
To save you some mental effort and time, I've crafted a simple, up-to-date guide on how to delete your Instagram account. If you prefer to take a break without losing access to your data, you'll also find instructions on how to temporarily deactivate your account. Additionally, there’s a guide on how to reactivate your Instagram whenever you're ready to return.
Quick Guide: How to Delete Your Instagram Account in 3 Easy Steps
- Open the app. Go to your Instagram profile, then tap on the 3-line menu icon (known as the hamburger button) in the top right corner. Select Settings and privacy.
- Enter “delete” in the search bar. You’ll see Deactivation or deletion in your search results. Select your account, tap on Delete account, and click Continue. Pick your reason for deletion, reenter your password, and click Continue again.
- Confirm deletion. All you need to do now is click Delete account. Your account will be permanently deleted in 30 days.
Pro Tip: Save Your Instagram Data First
Before you leave Instagram, don’t forget to save your photos and posts. Open your profile, hit the hamburger menu, and select Your Activity > Download your information. Provide your email, choose the data format (HTML or JSON), and hit Next. After entering your password, click Request download. You’ll receive an email with a download link, which may take up to 30 days.
Using a VPN is a smart move when doing this as it protects your private information, photos, and videos. It changes your IP address, plus adds a layer of encryption while you download your data. This way, you can access and delete your account safely. No one can intercept your private information, which is especially useful if downloading confidential messages, files, images, and other media you’ve sent and received.
Deactivating vs. Deleting: What You Need to Know
|Your account appears invisible, but all your data is preserved.
|Your account and all associated data are permanently erased.
|Log back in whenever you're ready to return, and everything will be as you left it.
|Once completed, it’s irreversible. You’ll lose everything, and the username can’t be reused.
|All your information, including photos, likes, and comments, are retained and are back once you log in.
|All your data is permanently deleted. Some information might be stored for legal and safety reasons for up to 90 days.
|Ideal for short-term breaks, with the flexibility to return anytime.
|Suited for those looking to leave Instagram permanently.
How to Delete Your Instagram Account Permanently: Step-by-Step Guide
If you want to delete your Instagram account permanently, you can do that directly from your Instagram app. There’s no need to log in to your Instagram account in a browser. Just follow these simple steps, and don’t forget to download your data first:
- Open your Instagram app. Tap on your profile picture in the bottom right corner of the screen. Then click on the hamburger menu — the 3-line icon in the top right corner. Select Settings and privacy.
- Open Accounts Centre. It will be on top of your screen when you open your Instagram settings. From there on, it’s relatively easy to finally find the delete option.
- Click on Deactivation or deletion. If you have multiple accounts, select the one you wish to delete. Then pick Delete account and click Continue.
- Choose the reason for deleting your account, reenter your password, and click on Delete account.
That’s it — you’ve deleted your Instagram account. Your account will be invisible, but you still have 30 days to change your mind. If you don’t decide to come back to Instagram, there’s no need to do anything else. Your account will be fully deleted in 30 days.
How to Deactivate Your Instagram Account Temporarily
To deactivate your Instagram account temporarily, you can follow the same steps as for deleting your account. Just select Deactivate account instead of Delete account. The only difference is that you’ll be asked to enter your password before selecting your reason for deactivating. After deactivating your account, your profile will be hidden on Instagram.
How to Reactivate Your Instagram Account
All you need to do is enter your username and password on the Instagram login page via a mobile app or a web browser. If you've set up 2-Factor Authentication (2FA), you'll receive a verification code. If Instagram hasn’t permanently deleted your account, you'll gain access.
If you encounter any trouble logging in, click on Forgot password? and follow the prompts to reset it. Once reset, try logging in again. If you're unable to log in, it’s possible that your account might be permanently deleted after long-term deactivation, depending on Instagram’s prevailing policies.
Sometimes, reactivation isn't immediate. It may take a few hours for your profile to be fully restored. If you find your account isn't reactivating after a prolonged period, consider reaching out to Instagram's support. Additionally, check your email associated with the account for any security alerts or reactivation instructions from Instagram.
Instagram allows you to deactivate your account once a week. If you've recently deactivated and reactivated, you might need to wait before taking the same action again.
How to Stay Safe on Instagram
While Instagram offers a space for creative expression and connectivity, maintaining security and privacy on the platform is crucial. Below are succinct and clear strategies to safeguard your Instagram activity:
- Use a strong password and update it regularly. Generate passwords with a mix of letters, numbers, and symbols to bolster your account's defenses against unauthorized access.
- Activate 2-factor authentication. Enabling 2FA as an additional security layer can shield your account even if your password is compromised.
- Maintain your privacy settings. Regularly review and update your account settings. Restrict profile visibility and approve follow requests only from users you know and trust.
- Be skeptical of unknown links and users. Scrutinize messages and follow-requests from unknown users, and abstain from clicking on suspicious links to prevent phishing attacks.
- Limit shared information. Be mindful of the personal information you disclose. Avoid sharing sensitive or private details like your home address, contact information, or financial data.
- Use a VPN. A VPN conceals your IP address, safeguarding your privacy and encrypting your online activities against potential eavesdroppers.
- Report suspicious activity. Use Instagram’s in-app features to report any content or accounts that seem to violate the platform’s guidelines.
- Update the app regularly. Keep the Instagram app up-to-date to benefit from the latest security enhancements and fixes for known vulnerabilities.
Best VPNs for Instagram in 2024
- ExpressVPN — Uses military-grade encryption to make your data unreadable to third parties. Huge network of servers in 105 countries, with regularly-updated IPs that allow you to access your Instagram securely. It even offers a reliable 30-day money-back guarantee on all plans, so you can try it out with zero risk.
- Private Internet Access — Loads of fast servers to access and delete your Instagram from anywhere.
FAQs on Deleting Your Instagram Account
Can I delete my Instagram account from Facebook?
Yes, if your Instagram account is connected to Facebook, you can delete it directly from Facebook. Just go to Privacy Centre in your Facebook profile settings. Click on See your accounts and then Manage these accounts in Accounts Centre. Then you can follow the same steps for deleting your Instagram account from your phone app.
If your Instagram account isn’t already added to your Accounts Centre, you can add it in one click and proceed with the same process.
Is there a way to delete my Instagram account without my password?
No, you can't delete your Instagram account without knowing your password. It's a security measure to protect user accounts. If you've forgotten your password, you can reset it through the Forgot password? link on the login page. Once you regain access, you can follow these steps to delete your Instagram account.
How can I delete my Instagram account from my phone app?
You can delete your Instagram account from the phone app by accessing the Meta Accounts Centre. The process is easy, but the options can be a bit difficult to find. The easiest way is to follow this quick guide to deleting your Instagram account. If that’s not clear enough, you can scroll down to find a detailed guide with screenshots.
Does Instagram keep your deleted account’s data?
After deleting it, all your data will be permanently removed, including photos, videos, comments, likes, and followers. However, copies of some content (like logs or messages) may be retained for about 90 days for technical and security reasons. If you’re worried about your privacy, take a look at these tips to stay safe on Instagram.
Even though it may take up to 90 days to completely delete the data associated with your account, this information isn’t accessible during this time.
Deleting or deactivating your Instagram account is easier than it seems, even from your mobile device. You can remove your account directly from the app without needing to log in to your Instagram account from a PC or a browser.
I've put together a concise, step-by-step guide to simplify this process, catering to those who either want to delete or deactivate their Instagram account. Before doing anything, though, just make sure you know the difference between deleting and deactivating your Instagram account. While the steps themselves are pretty much the same, the difference is huge.
Your data is exposed to the websites you visit!
Your IP Address:
Your Internet Provider:
The information above can be used to track you, target you for ads, and monitor what you do online.
VPNs can help you hide this information from websites so that you are protected at all times. We recommend ExpressVPN — the #1 VPN out of over 350 providers we've tested. It has military-grade encryption and privacy features that will ensure your digital security, plus — it's currently offering 49% off.