How to Pay for Hulu Outside the US (no US Credit Card) in 2023
- Quick Guide: How to Pay for Hulu Outside the US in 3 Easy Steps
- Best VPNs to Pay for Hulu From Anywhere — Updated in February 2023
- ExpressVPN — Lightning-Fast Speeds to Watch Hulu Content Without Buffering
- CyberGhost — Streaming-Optimized Servers to Reliably Access Hulu
- Private Internet Access (PIA) — 10 Simultaneous Connections to Watch Hulu on All Your Favorite Devices
- 5 Methods to Get Hulu Without a US Credit Card in 2023
- FAQs on Paying for Hulu Outside the US
- Start Watching Hulu Without a US Credit Card Now
You can’t buy or access Hulu outside of the US. To subscribe to the service, you need a US credit card and to be located within the country. I find this most annoying when I’m traveling abroad since renewing your subscription can be difficult, even if you’re a US citizen.
The easiest way to pay for and watch Hulu content abroad is with a VPN. Hulu uses your IP address to detect whether you’re in the US or not. But a VPN allows you to borrow a US IP even if you’re in a different country. As a result, you can pay for and watch Hulu from anywhere.
My team and I tested 60+ Hulu VPNs and my top recommendation is ExpressVPN. It offers multiple US servers and fast speeds to access Hulu with ease. Best of all, you can try ExpressVPN risk-free as it’s backed by a 30-day money-back guarantee. If you’re not 100% happy, it’s easy to get a refund.
- Download a VPN. I recommend ExpressVPN since it has an extensive US server network and fast speeds for streaming Hulu. You can try ExpressVPN without risk (it has a 30-day money-back policy).
- Connect to a server. You need a US IP address to access and pay for Hulu so choose a US server.
- Start watching Hulu. Enjoy having access to all your favorite shows from anywhere.
Due to licensing restrictions, Hulu is only available in the US. The streaming platform uses powerful geoblocks to restrict your access if your IP address shows you’re in any other country. Worse, you can’t create a new Hulu account without a US credit card either.
However, a VPN lets you spoof your IP address so you can get Hulu outside the US. VPNs work by rerouting your traffic through a server in a different location — masking your real IP address with a VPN IP address from your chosen country. This helps you lead streaming services into thinking that you’re in the correct licensed region.
For instance, connecting to a VPN server in the US gets you a US IP address. When you access Hulu with your borrowed IP, the platform thinks you’re in the US and doesn’t block you. That way, you can sign up, renew your subscription, or watch Hulu content from anywhere.
All the VPNs on my list can unblock Hulu. On top of that, they’re easy to use and work on most operating systems, allowing you to watch Hulu on your preferred device. Plus, they offer excellent speeds so you can stream your favorite content in the highest quality.
Even better, they all come with a trustworthy money-back guarantee so you can try them risk-free. If you’re not 100% happy with the service you choose, it’s easy to get a refund.
Tested February 2023 Try Risk-Free for 30 Days
- Lightning-fast speeds to watch Hulu content buffer-free in 4K quality
- 24 US server locations to easily unblock Hulu from anywhere
- 5 simultaneous connections to stream your favorite shows on any device
- Can unblock: Hulu, Netflix, Disney+, HBO Max, BBC iPlayer, Vudu, Amazon Prime Video, and more
- Compatible with: Windows, Mac, iOS, Android, Linux, Chrome, Firefox, Apple TV, Amazon Fire TV, routers, and more
ExpressVPN’s breakneck speeds let you watch your favorite Hulu shows in Ultra HD. There was no buffering when I watched American Horror Story in crisp 4K. I speed-tested ExpressVPN’s New York, Dallas, and Chicago servers and got fantastic results. My average speed was 91 Mbps (just 9% less than my base 100 Mbps connection), which is very impressive. You only need 25 Mbps for UHD viewing, so this VPN is more than fast enough.
The large network has 24 server locations in the US, so you can unblock Hulu from anywhere. During my tests, I had no problems accessing and paying for my Hulu subscription with the Washington DC server. My connection remained stable and there were no disconnects, even though I was 9,153 km away.
All the apps are super intuitive and easy to use. Finding the necessary servers or settings is a breeze. However, if you are having difficulties, the service also offers a knowledge base and 24/7 live chat support. Plus, you can install it on most operating systems, including Windows, Mac, Android, and iOS.
The MediaStreamer feature lets you unblock Hulu on devices that don’t typically support VPNs too — like PlayStation, Xbox, or Nintendo Switch. It took me less than 5 minutes to install it. All you have to do is copy a short code (available on your ExpressVPN account dashboard) into your smart TV’s network settings. After that, I watched Hulu on my old Samsung Tizen TV without issues.
My only disappointment with the service is its expensive plans. The lowest-priced subscription starts at $6.67/month. But, ExpressVPN often runs deals or promotions that let you save money — I got 49% off and 3 extra free months when I signed up for the 12-month plan.
If you don’t like the service, getting a refund is simple thanks to the 30-day money-back guarantee. I tested this by contacting support via live chat. After a short conversation, my refund was approved and my PayPal account was reimbursed 2 days later.
- Special servers that are optimized for unblocking and streaming Hulu
- 11 regular server locations in the US for accessing other American services
- 7 simultaneous device connections for easy streaming on all your gadgets
- Can unblock: Hulu, Netflix, Disney+, HBO Max, BBC iPlayer, Vudu, YouTube TV, and more
- Compatible with: Windows, Mac, iOS, Android, Linux, smart TVs, routers, and more
CyberGhost has servers that are specially optimized to work with Hulu. To see how they perform, I tested CyberGhost’s Hulu servers and they gave me access to my account. Likewise, I had no problems renewing my subscription with its regular Miami server.
The VPN is fast enough to watch shows in 4K too. When testing its US, UK, and Australia servers, my average speed didn’t drop below 82 Mbps. I experienced no delays watching Santa Evita in UHD, even though I was torrenting a 7 GB file in the background. With these speeds, you can watch shows on Hulu in the highest quality without interruptions.
Smart DNS also lets you watch Hulu on devices that don’t support VPN apps. Using the special DNS address, I installed CyberGhost on my PS5 in less than 5 minutes. I then simply connected the VPN to the US, which let me access my Hulu account on my console.
Similar to ExpressVPN, CyberGhost’s apps are super easy to master. It categorizes all servers into groups (streaming, torrenting, and gaming). This makes it easy to find one for a specific purpose. However, if you’re stuck, there’s 24/7 live chat support on hand to assist as well.
My only gripe with the service is that the monthly plans have a reduced money-back guarantee (14 days). However, if you opt for a long-term plan, you can sign up for just $2.19/month, which comes with an extended money-back guarantee. Compared to the monthly plan, the 3-year plan offers the best value for money.
The longer 45-day guarantee means you can also try CyberGhost for free. To test this, I emailed the support team and asked for a refund. After answering some questions about my experience with the VPN, my refund was approved and I saw my bank account reimbursed 4 days later.
3. Private Internet Access (PIA) — 10 Simultaneous Connections to Watch Hulu on All Your Favorite Devices
- 53 US server centers for plenty of options to unblock Hulu from anywhere
- 10 simultaneous connections to use the VPN on multiple devices
- Can unblock: Hulu, Netflix, Disney+, HBO Max, BBC iPlayer, Vudu, ESPN, and more
- Compatible with: Windows, Mac, iOS, Android, Linux, routers, and more
PIA lets you connect up to 10 devices at the same time. Plus, the service is compatible with all major operating systems, including Windows, Mac, iOS, and Android. So you can stream on your laptop, smartphone, tablet, or desktop without having to uninstall the VPN on other devices first. I tested PIA by connecting 8 devices at the same time and never saw any drop in performance.
The VPN also has a huge server network in the US, giving you plenty of local IP addresses for streaming Hulu or renewing your subscription. During my tests, I signed up for a Hulu account without any issues. The streaming platform never detected that I wasn’t in America.
With so many servers to choose from, you don’t have to worry about overcrowding either. I didn’t experience any slowdowns while watching shows using the US servers. My speeds averaged 77 Mbps, which is only 5 Mbps slower than CyberGhosts’ average speeds. This instantly let me watch The Old Man in UHD without buffering.
Just be aware that PIA’s app isn’t the easiest to master due to it having a ton of customization options. However, the app comes pre-configured — so you can just connect and start streaming Hulu without any complicated setup.
I find the VPN to be well-priced. Private Internet Access’ long-term subscription is just $2.19/month. If you go by month, you end up spending more in the long run though. That’s why I recommend getting the 3-year plan to make the most out of your money.
The refund process is a breeze as all plans have a reliable 30-day money-back guarantee. I tested it by contacting the support team via the 24/7 online chat and asking for a refund. My credit card was reimbursed 4 days later.
Here are 5 different ways to sign up for Hulu. Before you try each of them, follow these quick steps:
- Get a VPN. Any of my shortlisted VPNs will work but I recommend ExpressVPN since it offers the best speeds and multiple US servers to pick from.
- Connect to a US server. Hulu is only available in the US, so that’s where you need to connect.
Then use one of these 5 methods to get access to Hulu.
- Buy a Hulu gift card. Visit MyGiftCardSupply and buy a Hulu gift card between $25 and $100, depending on which level of Hulu subscription you want. You need to create an account if you don’t already have one.
- Find the code in your email. The gift card will be sent to your email address. Open it and copy the code.
- Redeem your gift card. Access Hulu’s redeem page, insert your code, and create an account. You need to use a US address and zip code to complete the registration — 55402 did the trick for me.
- Log into your Hulu account. Visit Hulu and log in with your new credentials.
- Start watching. Access your Hulu account and enjoy.
2. iTunes US
- Create a US iTunes account. Visit Apple and create a new account.
- Add funds to your iTunes account. You can do this through iTunes directly or add them using a US iTunes gift card.
- Download Hulu to your device. Just type “Hulu” into the search bar and download the app.
- Sign in to your Hulu account. Pay for a plan or renew your subscription using your iTunes funds.
- Start watching. By doing this, you can pay for and enjoy your Hulu account.
3. Prepaid US Card
- Get a prepaid US card. Go to VISA or MasterCard and pick a prepaid card.
- Add funds to your prepaid card. You can do this directly, or transfer them from your bank account (if supported by the card).
- Sign in to your Hulu account. Visit Hulu, select a subscription plan, and fill out the necessary details.
- Complete the registration. Pay for the service using your prepaid card. If it doesn’t work, try the gift card method.
- Start watching. Enjoy all your favorite Hulu shows outside of the US.
- Create a PayPal account. Visit PayPal and make sure you create a US account. Otherwise, it won’t work with Hulu. If you can’t create a US account, use the gift card method.
- Sign in to your Hulu account. Use your credentials and log in to your account.
- Pay for your subscription. If this is a new account, you can also start the free trial.
- Start watching. Enjoy watching your favorite Hulu shows.
Important! According to PayPal’s terms of service, you are not allowed to have 2 accounts. If you already have an account with the company, creating a new one may lead to your first account being suspended for suspicious activity.
- Create a StatesCard account. Visit StatesCard and click on the “Sign Up” button to create a new account and add funds.
- Sign in to your Hulu account. Use your credentials and log in to your account or create a new one.
- Pay for your subscription. Use the card information you obtained from StatesCard to pay for or renew your Hulu subscription.
- Start watching. Enjoy watching your favorite Hulu shows.
FAQs on Paying for Hulu Outside the US
Does Hulu accept international cards?
No, you must own a card issued in the United States. However, you can still pay for the service using gift cards or PayPal. Just bear in mind that you also need a reliable VPN that has servers in the US. A VPN gives you a US IP address, which lets you access your Hulu account when abroad.
Can I pay for Hulu through Amazon?
Yes, you can pay for Hulu through Amazon. However, you need a VPN to access your Hulu account outside of the US. Other than that, simply connect your Amazon Pay account to your Hulu account and renew/buy your subscription. Alternatively, you can also buy Hulu gift cards on Amazon and redeem them through Hulu directly.
I paid for a Hulu subscription. Why am I still seeing ads?
Unfortunately, the cheapest Hulu plan comes with ads. To remove them, you need to upgrade your Hulu subscriptions to the next tier. Simply connect to a server in the US using a VPN and go to your Hulu account page. Then, click on “Manage Plan”, toggle the plan you want to use from “Off” to “On”, and confirm the changes.
If I use a VPN to pay for my Hulu subscription, can my account get blocked?
At the time of writing, it's unlikely Hulu will block your account for using a VPN. However, if Hulu detects you using a VPN or proxy, it will block your IP address from accessing the platform. To avoid connection issues, you need a tried-and-tested VPN that has a large US server network. That way, you can reliably enjoy all your favorite Hulu shows without problems.
You should always check the T&Cs of the streaming provider in case the rules change.
What should I do if my VPN is not able to unblock Hulu?
There are a few troubleshooting tricks you can try. But first, make sure you're using a VPN that's proven to work with Hulu. Powerful geoblocks prevent some weaker VPNs from accessing the platform.
If you're still having issues, try these solutions:
- Update your VPN app. Make sure you update your app to the latest version.
- Try using a different server. There’s a chance the VPN IP address you’re using has been blocked from accessing the site. Try using a different server from your VPN’s US server list.
- Clear your cookies and cache. Many websites track your location through cookies. Clearing them In your browser’s security settings can help you regain access to the platform.
- Get help from customer support. Detail your issue to the support team so they can recommend a server that can access Hulu.
Can I use these methods to pay for Hulu on Apple, Android, or other devices?
Yes, you can pay for Hulu on iOS and Android devices. Most of these methods work on any modern device, including Roku, Chromecast, Kodi, and Fire TV. Just get a VPN that works with Hulu and supports your device of choice. Then use one of the provided methods to log in to your Hulu account and pay for a subscription.
Is Hulu available for free?
No, Hulu is a paid service. However, the streaming platform offers a free trial. To enable it, you need to create a new Hulu account using a VPN (if you’re outside of the US). Then, set up a payment method and claim the offering. Keep in mind that the free trial is only available to new customers.
Can I get Hulu outside the US with a free VPN?
Yes, but free VPNs can be unreliable and dangerous. Most free VPNs come with a very small server network and capped speeds, so they don’t work with Hulu in the first place. You’re better off getting a reliable premium VPN that comes with a trustworthy money-back guarantee.
Even if you manage to find a free VPN that works with Hulu, they usually lack essential security features. Some have even been caught logging and selling user data to the highest bidder.
Start Watching Hulu Without a US Credit Card Now
The easiest way to pay for and watch Hulu from outside the US is with a VPN. A VPN lets you connect to a server in the US, giving you access to Hulu from anywhere. The best VPNs are also super fast, so you can stream your favorite shows and movies in high quality. However, finding a VPN with these features as a single package can be a real challenge.
That’s why ExpressVPN is the best option for getting Hulu without a US credit card. It offers an incredibly large US server network, lightning-fast speeds for streaming, and compatibility with multiple devices. Better yet, it’s backed by a 30-day money-back guarantee, meaning you can test ExpressVPN risk-free. If you don’t like it, getting a refund is easy.
To summarize, here are the best VPNs for Hulu…
Your data is exposed to the websites you visit!
Your IP Address:
Your Internet Provider:
The information above can be used to track you, target you for ads, and monitor what you do online.
VPNs can help you hide this information from websites so that you are protected at all times. We recommend ExpressVPN — the #1 VPN out of over 350 providers we've tested. It has military-grade encryption and privacy features that will ensure your digital security, plus — it's currently offering 49% off.