How to Watch Disney+ Hotstar From Anywhere (Tested 2021)
- Quick Guide: How to Watch Hotstar From Anywhere in 3 Easy Steps
- Best VPN to Watch Disney+ Hotstar India From Anywhere in 2021
- ExpressVPN — Superfast Speeds to Watch Your Favorite Shows in HD
- Where Can I Watch Hotstar Online?
- How to Sign Up for Disney+ Hotstar India from Anywhere in 2021
- How to Set up Disney+ Hotstar India on Your Device
- FAQs on Watching Hotstar With a VPN
- Start Watching Disney+ Hotstar Now!
While Hotstar is also available in other countries like Indonesia, US, and the UK, Hotstar India (now known as “Disney+ Hotstar” due to its collaboration with Disney+) is the only region that lets you stream content for free.
The problem is, you can’t access Disney+ Hotstar India if you are not located in India. Because the streaming platform is geo-restricted due to licensing regulations, anyone outside of India won’t be able to enter the site.
If you want to access Disney+ Hotstar from outside of India, you’ll need to use a VPN. A VPN hides your IP address and gives you a new one from a country of your choice. So when you connect to a VPN’s Indian server, Hotstar will think you’re in India and give you access to the site.
I tested 30+ VPNs and found one that worked the best to get around Disney+ Hotstar’s geoblocks. My top recommendation is ExpressVPN because its Indian servers let me access Disney+ Hotstar without any issues and it had really fast speeds for streaming. You can even test ExpressVPN out for yourself risk-free. If you don’t feel it’s right for you, you can get a full refund within the 30-day money-back guarantee period.
Quick Guide: How to Watch Hotstar From Anywhere in 3 Easy Steps
- Download a VPN. I recommend ExpressVPN because it has superfast Indian servers to stream Disney+ Hotstar shows in HD quality.
- Connect to a server in India. Disney+ Hotstar India not only has the most content compared to other regions; it also lets you watch shows for free. If you want to sign up for a premium plan, it has far cheaper prices than the US, UK, and Canada.
- Start Hotstar! Just sign in to your Disney+ Hotstar India account and enjoy your favorite shows and movies.
Why You Need a VPN to Watch Disney+ Hotstar
Due to broadcasting restrictions, Disney+ Hotstar India is only available in a limited number of countries, such as India, the US, and the UK. These geoblocks make it impossible for people anywhere else to watch its content — unless you have a VPN.
A VPN bypasses geo-restrictions by changing your IP address. Once you connect to a server in India, your virtual location is moved there. This way, Hotstar believes you’re in a licensed country, and lets you access all of its content without any restrictions. Hotstar India has a far larger content library, more exclusive shows and sports, and cheaper subscription prices than other countries.
It’s also the only location where Hotstar offers a free 30-day trial. So, if you live in the UK or USA and you’re considering Hotstar, it makes sense to use a VPN and sign up to Disney+Hotstar India. When you use a reliable VPN, you’ll be able to get past the platform’s geoblocks and watch Disney+ Hotstar India with ease.
- Superfast speeds for quality HD streaming
- 3,000 servers so you’ll gain easy access to Hotstar from any location
- MediaStreamer lets you watch Hotstar on any device
- 5 simultaneous device connections
- 30-day money-back guarantee
- Works with: Netflix, Disney+, HBO Max, Hulu, BBC iPlayer, Vudu, and more
- Compatible with: Windows, Mac, iOS, Android, Linux, routers, Apple TV, and more
ExpressVPN gives you ultra-fast speeds, regardless of the distance between you and the server. During my tests, I connected to servers in India, Canada, the US, and the UK and got download speeds over 30 Mbps every time. Since you only need 5 Mbps to watch Hotstar in HD, you’ll be able to watch shows and movies without the annoying lag or buffering.
To bypass Hotstar’s geoblocks, ExpressVPN has over 3,000 servers worldwide — including 40+ servers in all of the Hotstar countries. When I connected to its India location, I was able to beat its blocks every time. This means you’ll never have any delays or interruptions while you’re watching Hotstar.
With ExpressVPN’s MediaStreamer you can watch Hotstar on any WiFi-enabled device. I installed it on my router in under 10 minutes using its easy-to-follow guide and had no issues watching Hotstar on my Smart TV. This means that you can watch movies directly on the big screen.
While ExpressVPN is excellent for Hotstar, there is one drawback — It’s relatively expensive. However, you can save some money when you get its 49% discount.
But if that isn’t enough, you can try it risk-free with its 30-day money-back guarantee. I wanted to test out its refund process, and it was surprisingly easy – the live chat staff asked me a few questions about why I wanted to cancel, and then they accepted my request. The money was refunded in full within 4 days.
Where Can I Watch Hotstar Online?
You can watch Hotstar in India, Indonesia, the UK, USA, Canada, and Singapore. If you’re outside of these countries, you’ll need to get a reliable VPN to help you access the site.
The number of shows vary from country to country, and prices for subscription plans also differ. After my tests, I found that Disney+ Hotstar India has the most shows and a low comparable price. It does require a local Indian phone number to sign up — but there’s an easy way to get one even if you’re not in the country.
Hotstar Indonesia also offers extremely low prices and a free trial, however its library is more limited than Disney+ Hotstar India. In addition, you also need a local phone number to sign up for an account. But unlike India, there’s no way of getting a working number from outside of Indonesia.
|Prices From||$4.10 per month||$2.64 per month||$8.34 per month||$9.99 per month||$11 per month||$5 per month|
|Includes Disney+ content?||Yes||Yes||No||No||No||No|
You’ll need a local Indian phone number or an Indian Facebook account to sign up for a Hotstar India account. If you don’t have either — don’t worry. I found a simple workaround that will give you a temporary Indian phone number to set up your account (steps 4 to 7).
- Get a reliable VPN. I recommend ExpressVPN as its Indian servers never failed to give me access to Disney+ Hotstar India.
- Connect to an Indian server. Since Disney+ Hotstar restricts its site to Indian viewers, you must connect to an Indian server to get access.
- Open Disney+ Hotstar India. Go to the Hotstar India website and click on the login button in the top right-hand corner. Leave this window open.
- Get an Indian phone number. Go to receive-sms.cc. Note that this is a shared disposable phone number, so don’t share any sensitive information while you use it.
- Select a phone number from the list. Click on “Receive SMS Online”.
- Copy the phone number. Just click on the number at the top of the page and it’ll be copied.
- Leave this window open. You’ll need this to get the verification code to your Disney+ Hotstar account.
- Enter your local phone number. Go back to the Disney+ Hotstar window and paste the phone number into the field. Then, click “Continue”.
- Get your verification code. Go back to your receive-sms-cc window and click “Update Messages” (you may need to do this a few times to refresh the list). Wait for your verification code to appear.
- Insert verification code. Paste your verification code in the field and click “Continue”.
- Sit back and enjoy Hotstar! You’re in! Now you can watch your favorite shows and movies.
Although it’s fairly simple to gain access to Disney+ Hotstar India with a VPN, integrating them onto your devices using client apps can be tricky due to geo-restrictions. But after numerous tests, I’ve found an easy method for each.
- Close down the app store. Log out completely and clear your cache.
- Go to your phone’s Settings. Click on “Personal”, then “Location”. Change the tab at the top of your screen from “Location On” to “Location Off”.
- Turn on your VPN and choose a server in India. I recommend ExpressVPN as they have an extensive Indian server network to ensure you have reliable connections.
- Start enjoying Hotstar! Just download the Hotstar app and select the movie you want.
iOS and AppleTV
- Log out of iTunes. Log out completely and clear your cache.
- Use a VPN to connect to an Indian server. I used ExpressVPN and was instantly connected to a high-speed server with a steady connection.
- Bring up the app store. Select a free app (any will do). iTunes will ask you to create a new account.
- Create your new Apple account. Remember to use an Indian street address. I used a random hotel address; BJ Road, Mount Mary, Bandra West, Mumbai, Maharashtra 400050 – and it worked fine for me.With an Indian Apple ID, you can watch Hotstar on your iPhone or AppleTV in no time
- Download the Hotstar app and start streaming!
- Download a VPN. I used ExpressVPN and found it easy and quick to set up on my desktop.
- Choose a server in India.
- Go to the Hotstar India website. Click on the login button in the top right-hand corner.
FAQs on Watching Hotstar With a VPN
Can I watch movies on Hotstar India for free?
Yes — but only for a limited time. Disney+ Hotstar India not only has the most extensive library, it also offers a 30-day free trial to all new users (other regions except Indonesia do not have a free trial option). To take advantage of this,you’ll need to get a VPN with reliable servers in India, connect to a local server, and sign up for a Disney+ Hotstar account.
What devices can I watch Hotstar on?
You can watch Hotstar on multiple devices, including Android, iOS, Windows, OSX Mac, Linus, Chromecast, and more.
I was a little disappointed to find that I couldn’t integrate it on my PS5, as that’s the way I usually like to watch my streaming apps. However, I did find that Hotstar is supported by Android TV, Apple TV, Fire TV, Samsung, and LG Smart TVs, so you’ll have no problems finding an alternative way to watch Hotstar on the big screen.
Is Hotstar able to detect my VPN?
That depends on the VPN you use. Although free VPNs do seem very tempting, you run a high risk that the streaming platform will block you part way through your show. This is because they have fewer servers and refresh their pool of IP addresses less frequently.
There are additional issues with free VPNs, and you may find that consistent lagging and buffering makes your streaming experience extremely frustrating. Sudden drops in connection can also be annoying, and put you at risk of data leaks.
After extensive testing, I found that the most reliable way to avoid detection by Hotstar is to use a quality VPN with a vast server network, such as ExpressVPN. Test ExpressVPN out for yourself risk-free. If you don’t feel it’s right for you, you can get a full refund within the 30-day money-back guarantee period.
Start Watching Disney+ Hotstar Now!
Hotstar is only available in select countries, and Disney+ Hotstar India is my top choice for cheaper prices, an extensive library full of exclusive content, and the option to try premium for free. If you’re anywhere else in the world, you’ll need a VPN to access it.
Of all the VPNs I tested, I found that ExpressVPN performed the best. Its reliable Indian servers bypassed Hotstar’s geoblocks in seconds. Plus, I could watch all my favorite shows in HD quality thanks to its efficient speeds. You can test ExpressVPN out risk-free and if you’re not happy with it, you have up to 30 days to claim a refund.
Your data is exposed to the websites you visit!
Your IP Address:
Your Internet Provider:
The information above can be used to track you, target you for ads, and monitor what you do online.
VPNs can help you hide this information from websites so that you are protected at all times. We recommend ExpressVPN — the #1 VPN out of over 350 providers we've tested. It has military-grade encryption and privacy features that will ensure your digital security, plus — it's currently offering 49% off.