8 Best (100%) FREE VPNs for Android TV Box | Updated December 2021
- Why You Need a VPN for an Android TV Box
- Quick Guide – How to Use a VPN with an Android TV Box
- The Best VPNs for Android TV Box – Full Analysis (Updated 2021)
- ExpressVPN – Unbeaten on Premium Features and Performance
- CyberGhost – Best VPN for Beginners with Simple Setup
- PrivateVPN – Small VPN that Packs a big Punch
- VyprVPN – Fast Speeds and Great Unblocking Ability
- IPVanish – Solid Speeds and Lots of Simultaneous Connections
- Zenmate – A Rapidly Improving VPN with a Budget Price Tag
- Hotspot Shield – A Reliable VPN with a Lengthy Money-Back Guarantee
- Windscribe – Great Value for Money with Unlimited Simultaneous Connections
- How We Tested the Best VPNs for Android TV Boxes
- Bottom Line
Install a VPN on your Android TV Box and enjoy content from around the world on your TV. But, how do you know what VPN will work on your Android TV Box and reliably bypass geoblocks?
I’ve done the work for you and tested dozens of VPNs to find which premium services are the best in terms of reliability, speed, unblocking ability, and functionality for the Android TV Box.
My top pick is ExpressVPN, it’s fast, reliable, and has a dedicated app for the Android TV box. Take a look at it, and the other VPNs that made my top 8 list and find the one that best suits your needs.
Short on time? Here are the best VPNs for an Android TV Box
- ExpressVPN – Excellent all-around VPN with top speeds, performance, reliability, and an advanced Android TV app. You can try it out with confidence knowing it’s backed by a 30-day money-back guarantee.
- CyberGhost – The best VPN for beginners with a huge global network of servers for unblocking content around the world.
- PrivateVPN – Compact VPN, but offers reliability and fast speeds for a low sticker price.
Why You Need a VPN for an Android TV Box
Transforming your TV into a Smart TV with an Android TV Box allows you to stream content from a number of platforms, play games, and much more. But you’ll only be able to access content within your region.
All streaming apps use geoblocking technologies to ensure they only work in authorized countries – if you try to stream from an unauthorized location, these geo-restrictions will block you. Even ones available in multiple locations, like Netflix have specific libraries for each area.
Install a VPN on your Android TV Box and you can connect to a server in a different country, which gives you an IP address to unblock global content. Connect to a UK server using your VPN and you can stream BBC iPlayer or connect to a US server and you can stream Hulu.
Quick Guide – How to Use a VPN with an Android TV Box
- Choose VPN. I recommend ExpressVPN for its super-fast speeds and great ability to overcome geoblocks.
- Install the VPN through Google PlayStore on your Android TV Box.
- Connect to a server and unlock more content!
The Best VPNs for Android TV Box – Full Analysis (Updated 2021)
I tested dozens of premium VPNs to find the best options for the Android TV Box and the VPNs that made it on this list are the 8 that performed best. However, the work doesn’t stop there. Here at vpnMentor we regularly retest all VPNs and update our findings to ensure we’re recommending the best VPNs available.
If you do find you’re blocked from a streaming service while using a VPN, simply disconnect and try another server.
- 3,000 servers in over 90 countries
- Unbeatable streaming speeds
- App is compatible with the Android TV Box
- 30-day money-back guarantee
- Works with: Hulu, ESPN+, Netflix, CBS, Disney+, Amazon Prime Video, BBC iPlayer
- Compatible with: Android TV Box, Windows, macOS, Android, iOS, browsers, routers
Enjoy streaming freedom through your Android TV Box with ExpressVPN. The VPN’s app is compatible with a wide selection of Android TV Box models and is simple to install and set up.
Streaming addicts can binge-watch all their favorite content with ExpressVPN. Its unbeatable speeds and unlimited bandwidth mean that you will never have a problem streaming ‘just one more episode’.
With a global network of 3,000 servers spread across over 90 countries at your disposal, you can change the apparent location of your Android TV Box to beat censorship and leap over the geoblocks of dozens of streaming services. BBC iPlayer, Hulu, Fox Sports, and multiple Netflix libraries to name just a few.
Plus, with ExpressVPN you can also change your Google Play Store region on your Android TV Box, which allows you to download apps not available in your area.
ExpressVPN offers 5 simultaneous device connections so you can stream with your Android TV Box, browse online with your phone, and torrent on your laptop, and still be able to share your VPN connection with a few others.
If your Android TV Box doesn’t support the ExpressVPN app, you may be able to use the MediaStreamer feature to view blocked content on your TV. It hides your location, just without the privacy benefits of a VPN.
Get in touch with ExpressVPN’s 24/7 live chat customer support for a quick response to any inquiries you have.
Want to know more? Explore our ExpressVPN review to see the full results of our research and testing.
- Over 7,410 servers in 90 countries
- Super-fast streaming speeds
- Great app for Android TV Boxes
- 24-hours free trial and 45-day money-back guarantee
- Works with: NBC, BBC iPlayer, Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, Disney+, ESPN
- Compatible with: Android TV Boxes, Xbox, macOS, Windows, Android, iOS, Linux
All CyberGhost’s apps are easy-to-use with simple setup, making it a great VPN for beginners.
Test out CyberGhost’s ease of use for yourself with a generous 45-day money-back guarantee. This is ideal if you need a VPN for a limited amount of time. On top of this, you can try it for free with a 24-hour trial. This means you can test all of CyberGhost’s features absolutely risk-free.
CyberGhost’s impressive network of 7,410 servers spread across 90 countries opens up your Android TV Box to almost limitless streaming and gaming opportunities. Stream from BBC iPlayer in the morning and download some US games from the Google Play Store in the afternoon.
You can stream, game, torrent, and browse at the same time on all of your devices as CyberGhost allows 7 simultaneous device connections.
Network speeds are lightning-fast, and there are no restrictions on data or bandwidth – great for streaming addicts.
Plus, with the CyberGhost app, you can choose the ‘Best Location’ connection mode which automatically connects you to the best server – in terms of speed and user load – for your chosen location. Buffering or long loading times won’t be an issue for you.
If you have questions about connection or setup, CyberGhost’s excellent 24/7 live chat support is on hand.
Want to know more? Explore our CyberGhost review to see the full results of our research and testing.
- 200 servers in 60 countries
- Reliable connection speeds
- Works well with Android TV Boxes
- 30-day money-back guarantee
- Works with: Showtime, HBO Now, BBC iPlayer, Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, Hulu
- Compatible with: Android TV, Android, Windows, Linux, macOS, iOS, routers
Compact but powerful, PrivateVPN operates a small network of 200 servers in 60 countries, but with dedicated streaming servers for Netflix, Sky, Hulu, and ABC, you can unblock thousands of hours of content. Bypassing the geoblocks of other streaming services or apps won’t be a problem either.
The PrivateVPN app works well with Android TV Boxes, but you can find that out for yourself with a 30-day money-back guarantee. A 7-day free trial allows you to try out the VPN with absolutely no risk.
PrivateVPN may not be the fastest VPN I tested, but the speeds are more than fast enough for streaming in HD and whatever else you get up to on your Android TV Box. Plus, unlimited bandwidth means you can stream, download, and surf as much as you like.
If you’re feeling generous, you can share your PrivateVPN connection with the family as you’re allowed 6 simultaneous device connections.
The android app is easy-to-use with a simple setup, so even if you’re new to VPNs you should be streaming, gaming, or browsing on your TV in no time. If you do need a little extra help, email and live chat support are available to answer any questions.
Want to know more? Explore our PrivateVPN review to see the full results of our research and testing.
- 700 servers across 70 countries
- Impressive speeds
- 30-day money-back guarantee
- Works with: YouTube TV, BBC iPlayer, Hulu, Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, ITV Hub, Eurosport
- Compatible with: Android TV, Linux, Windows, macOS, iOS, Android, routers
VyprVPN’s Android TV app gives you greater online and streaming freedom by allowing you to access geoblocked content from anywhere.
Don’t take my word for it. See how much more content you can access yourself with VyprVPN’s 30-day money-back guarantee. Get opinions on VyprVPN from the whole family by sharing the 30 simultaneous device connections.
Whether you stream, share on social media, or shop online using your Android TV Box, you can expect fast connections and no long loading times thanks to VyprVPN’s impressive speeds.
You can utilize plenty of powerful features with the VyprVPN app for Android TV, including monitoring your connection speeds, switching between servers, and customizing your VPN connections.
Need help? VyprVPN’s customer service is impressive, with quick responses to inquiries from both email and 24/7 live chat support.
Want to know more? Explore our VyprVPN review to see the full results of our research and testing.
- 1,900 servers in 70 global locations
- Good speeds
- Simple to set up on Android TV Boxes
- 30-day money-back guarantee
- Works with: Netflix, HBO Now, ESPN+. SlingTV, FOX, Hotstar, DAZN
- Compatible with: Android TV, Android, Chromebook, Linus, macOS, iOS, Windows
IPVanish makes it on to my recommended list as it has reliable speeds and great compatibility with Android TV Boxes.
The 30-day money-back guarantee is not as generous as some other VPNs, but it should still be enough time to determine if IPVanish is the service for you.
A network of 1,900 servers spread across 70 global locations and high speeds allow for hassle-free browsing and streaming.
However, IPVanish may not be the best service for streaming on your Android TV Box. Whilst it can unblock Netflix and SlingTV, I had no luck with BBCiPlayer or ABC.
Generally speaking, IPVanish’s unblocking abilities are good and you should be able to access many geo-restricted apps from the Play Store.
Explore what content you can access to your heart’s content, as IPVanish allows unlimited server switching and up to Unlimited simultaneous connections. You may discover a hidden gem from a country you least expected.
Looking for more information on what you can unblock with IPVanish? 24/7 customer support will be able to help and provide server suggestions if needed.
Want to know more? Explore our IPVanish review to see the full results of our research and testing.
- 4,100 servers in 80 countries
- Great streaming speeds
- App works great with Android TV Boxes
- 30-day money-back guarantee
- Works with: Amazon Prime Video, BBC iPlayer, Netflix, HBO Now, Youtube
- Compatible with: Android TV, browsers, iOS, Windows, macOS, Android
Zenmate may be a simple VPN, but it has all you need to make the most out of your Android TV Box.
Put Zenmate through its paces with a 7-day trial – that’s a full week using a premium VPN, completely free. If you need longer to decide if Zenmate is right for you, a 30-day money-back guarantee is available on all plans.
Great network speeds eliminate lag and buffering, even when streaming in HD, as well as enabling quick downloading of new apps for your Android TV Box.
A growing network of 4,100 servers in 80 countries can overcome geoblocks with ease. Plus, dedicated streaming servers guarantee a reliable connection to the likes of Netflix, BBC iPlayer, Amazon Prime Video, Comedy Central, HBO Go, and more.
With up to Unlimited devices at once you can stream on your Android TV Box, surf on your laptop, check email on your tablet and still share your connection with family members.
Zenmate doesn’t offer live chat customer service, but your questions will still be answered swiftly with email support.
Want to know more? Explore our Zenmate review to see the full results of our research and testing.
- 1,800 servers in 110 countries
- Excellent network speeds
- Great app for Android TV Boxes
- 45-day money-back guarantee
- Works with: Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, Hulu, BBC iPlayer, YouTube
- Compatible with: Android TV, Windows, Android, macOS, iOS, Chrome
Hotspot Shield can be installed on your Android TV Box so quickly you will be watching geo-restricted content within minutes. Hotspot Shield can help you access the likes of Netflix, YouTube, BBC iPlayer and more.
Take advantage of a large network of 1,800 servers in more than 110 countries to access blocked apps and sites without a firm commitment thanks to a 45-day money-back guarantee.
The fast network speeds allow for seamless streaming through your Android TV Box. Plus, unlimited data and no bandwidth throttling means you can binge-watch day and night.
Hotspot Shield allows 5 device connections at once, so you can protect all of your devices or share your connection with the family so they too can unblock their favorite global content.
The Hotspot Shield app is user-friendly with one-click connect, but if you do need help, it is available day or night with 24/7 live chat.
Want to know more? Explore our Hotspot Shield review to see the full results of our research and testing.
- Servers in 110 cities in over 60 countries
- Decent server speeds
- App for NVidia Shield
- 3-day money-back guarantee
- Works with: Netflix US, Kodi, YouTube, Hulu, HBO Now
- Compatible with: NVidia Shield, Windows, Android, iOS, browsers
The paid version of Windscribe has squeezed itself onto the last spot on my list, because it can be installed on the NVidia Shield, a popular Android TV device.
You will need to make your decision on Windscribe pretty quickly as after you have subscribed you only have three days to request a refund. Plus, don’t stream too much content, as if you have used more than 10GB, you won’t get your money back.
Windscribe has dedicated servers for Netflix, but when testing I could only unblock the US version. However, with a server network spread over 60 countries, you can also access the likes of YouTube, Hulu, and HBO Now.
Network speeds are okay, and you shouldn’t experience any problems when streaming or downloading apps. Plus, you can do both of these things and anything else on your NVidia Shield.
The customer support of Windscribe is a plus point. You can get most of your problems solved by Garry, the chatbot, but if he is having trouble, you’re transferred to the live chat team.
Want to know more? Explore our Windscribe review to see the full results of our research and testing.
How We Tested the Best VPNs for Android TV Boxes
You need a VPN that can unblock content and apps from all over the world to get to the full benefits of your Android TV Box. Throughout my research for the best VPN for Android TV Boxes, I looked and tested for:
- A large global server network spread across dozens of countries so you can access streaming services, games, and apps from anywhere.
- Easy-to-use apps so set up and changing your virtual location is quick and simple.
- Fast speeds, plus unlimited bandwidth and data so you can stream in HD and download quickly without interruptions.
- The ability to overcome both geoblocks and anti-VPN technology, so you can reliably access global content.
- Responsive customer support and a useful knowledge base of guides and tutorials, so any issues you have can be solved quickly.
Is it legal to use a VPN on my Android TV Box?
In most countries, the use of any and all VPNs on your Android TV Box is completely legal. However, there are some countries – such as Russia, China, and North Korea, that have heavy restrictions online, including the use of VPNs. In these countries, it is often only government-approved VPNs that are legal to use. To find out more about the legality of VPNs check out this article.
Can I use my VPN on other devices?
Absolutely! Premium VPNs – like those on my list – have apps that are compatible with a wide range of devices. Plus, they allow multiple device connections at once, so you can use your VPN other devices at the same time as your Android TV Box. If you use other streaming boxes, check out our articles on the best VPNs for the Roku and Amazon’s Fire Stick.
How do I change my virtual location on my Android TV Box?
Simply open your VPN app and open up the list of countries that you can connect to. Scroll until you find the country you are looking for and hit connect. You will now have an IP address from that country and be able to unblock its regional content.
Will a VPN slow my streaming speeds through my Android TV Box?
It would be reasonable to suggest there may be a slight slowing of streaming speeds as it takes time to encrypt your data and tunnel it through a distant server. However, your streaming speeds may actually improve with a VPN, as they prevent any intentional bandwidth throttling from your ISP.
With a premium VPN, you can unlock the full potential of your Android TV Box. Use your VPN to change the virtual location of your Android TV Box and you can bypass the geoblocks of streaming services and download geographically restricted apps.
But beware – not all VPNs are up to the job. Some won’t support Android TV Boxes and others won’t have the unblocking ability you need to access global content.
To find the best VPNs for your Android TV Box, I rigorously tested many services to make sure they can reliably bypass geoblocks, can protect you online, and have good compatibility with a wide range of Android TV Boxes.
My #1 recommendation is ExpressVPN as it has fast speeds and a vast global network for accessing global content, and an excellent Android TV App.
The Best Premium VPNs for Android TV box in 2021 are…
Your data is exposed to the websites you visit!
Your IP Address:
Your Internet Provider:
The information above can be used to track you, target you for ads, and monitor what you do online.
VPNs can help you hide this information from websites so that you are protected at all times. We recommend ExpressVPN — the #1 VPN out of over 350 providers we've tested. It has military-grade encryption and privacy features that will ensure your digital security, plus — it's currently offering 49% off.