5 Best VPNs for Oculus Quest 2 — Easy to Install & Use in 2024
- Best VPNs for Oculus Quest — Full Analysis (Updated 2024)
- ExpressVPN — Overall Best and Fastest Oculus VPN to Game and Stream Without Lag
- CyberGhost — Optimized Servers for Gaming and Streaming on Oculus Quest
- Private Internet Access — Global Network to Play Local and International VR Games
- NordVPN — Advanced Security Features to Keep Your Oculus Data Protected
- Surfshark — User-Friendly VPN to Use With Your Quest 2
- Quick Comparison Table: Oculus Quest VPN Features
- Tips on Choosing the Best VPN for Oculus Quest
- Quick Guide: How to Install a VPN on Oculus Quest 2 in 3 Easy Steps
- Detailed Guide: How to Install and Use a VPN on Oculus Quest 2
- FAQs on the Best VPNs for Oculus Quest
- Get the Best VPN for Oculus Quest
Not every VPN can give you access to your favorite VR games and streaming sites abroad. Many services are locked across regions where some VPNs don’t have servers or are too slow. Plus, Oculus doesn't support VPNs natively, making it harder to find a compatible one.
To get the best VPN for Oculus Quest 2, my team and I thoroughly tested 50+ VPNs, focusing on ease of installation, speed, and compatibility with Quest. I also checked for VPNs with robust security features to protect your data from hackers and snoops.
I recommend ExpressVPN for your Oculus Quest 2. Its consistently fast speeds make it excellent for gaming without lag, while its extensive server coverage ensures you maintain access to your preferred games, irrespective of your location. You can try ExpressVPN with Meta Quest 2 risk-free since it has a 30-day money-back guarantee. If it doesn’t work for you, you’re assured of a full refund.
Short on Time? Here Are the Best VPNs for Oculus Quest in 2024
- Editor's ChoiceExpressVPN
Ideal for Oculus with high-speed servers and custom router apps; risk-free trial.70% of our readers choose ExpressVPN
Specialized servers ensure stable Oculus gaming and streaming connections.
- Private Internet Access
Extensive network for lag-free international gaming on Oculus 2.
Superior security features to protect against DDoS attacks during Oculus gaming.
User-friendly VPN, perfect for Oculus Quest newcomers.
Best VPNs for Oculus Quest — Full Analysis (Updated 2024)
Tested February 2024 Try Risk-Free for 30 Days
|The fastest VPN I tested for Oculus Quest
|Only a 6% speed reduction, great for gaming on close and faraway servers
|3,000 servers in 105 countries reliable access to Oculus Quest apps
|Steam, Twitch, YouTube VR, Prime Video VR, Disney Movies VR, Netflix, and National Geographic Explorer
ExpressVPN's connection speeds outshine the competition thanks to its advanced Lightway protocol. This proprietary protocol is less complex and more efficient, making it faster and more reliable. During my tests, I clocked an average download speed of 99.43Mbps connected to a New York server from a base speed of 109.83. That's impressive since the US is almost 6,000km from my actual location.
ExpressVPN offers native firmware for popular routers, so you can easily use it on any WiFi-connected device, including Oculus. I had ExpressVPN setup on my Netgear router and connected to a server within 7 minutes.
Its world-class security and privacy features will keep you well-protected. This includes military-grade (AES 256-bit) encryption, a no-logs policy, and a kill switch (Network Lock). The latter blocks all internet traffic if the VPN connection drops. This ensures your Oculus Quest 2 gaming sessions stay private. And since its no-logs policy won’t record your gaming activity, you can use your Oculus Quest 2 without exposing any data.
The only drawback of this VPN is its price, which tends to be expensive, starting at $6.67/month. But by taking advantage of its online sales and discounts, you can save up to 49% on your ExpressVPN subscription. I even got 3 months of free service when I signed up for its 12-month plan.
It also comes with a 30-day money-back guarantee, so you can test it on your Oculus Quest 2 without risk. Getting a refund is easy. I canceled my subscription by contacting ExpressVPN through the 24/7 live chat. After answering a question about my experience, the agent went ahead with my request and fully refunded my credit card after 2 days.
- Smart Location. This feature connects you to the optimal server for a seamless, lag-free experience. It takes into account your geographical location, server congestion, and speed to find a server that ensures your VR games on the Oculus Quest 2 run smoothly.
- Private DNS. ExpressVPN operates its own DNS servers. This prevents third parties from viewing your online activity or stealing your information while you’re using the Oculus Quest 2.
- TrustedServer Technology. ExpressVPN uses diskless servers that wipe all data whenever the servers reboot. This minimizes the risk of data breaches and maximizes your privacy.
- Threat Manager. This feature identifies and blocks potential threats before they reach your Quest 2. It protects you from various online threats like malware or phishing attacks.
|Quickly find a dedicated server for various online activities in just a few clicks
|My average speed lowered by about 8%; I didn't even notice any delays
|11,683 servers in 100 countries, including optimized servers
|Steam, Twitch, YouTube VR, Prime Video VR, Disney Movies VR, Netflix, and National Geographic Explorer
CyberGhost has specialty servers optimized for high-bandwidth activities like gaming and streaming on Oculus Quest 2. These servers are frequently updated to ensure a smooth VR experience. When I tested 3 of its US servers, I accessed Netflix US and Disney+ in virtual reality with my Oculus Quest. Plus, I had no problem playing Virtuoso, and I Expect You To Die 2.
You can easily install CyberGhost on your home router and connect your Oculus Quest to protect it. By following the instructions on its website, I set up CyberGhost on my ASUS router and connected my Oculus Quest 2 in under 10 minutes. I also installed CyberGhost's APK files onto SideLoad Quest, which was just as effective and easy.
Its strict no-logs policy ensures your Oculus activity remains private — it doesn't collect or share any personally identifiable information. Like ExpressVPN, CyberGhost also uses RAM-only servers and is headquartered outside the intelligence-sharing 5/9/14 Eyes Alliances. On top of that, it uses AES 256-bit, a kill switch, and IP/DNS leak protection to protect you from DDoS attacks and accidental data exposure.
A minor con is the VPN's expensive monthly plans. Luckily, a long-term subscription only costs $2.03/month and has an extended money-back guarantee. You can use CyberGhost with Oculus free for 45 days and get a full refund if you don't like it. I tested its refund policy by canceling via 24/7 live chat. I got the money paid to my bank account after 4 business days.
- Smart Rules. This feature lets you customize how CyberGhost behaves on your Quest 2 based on factors like network type, WiFi connection, or app usage. For example, I set CyberGhost to automatically connect to the US server whenever I open the app.
- Content Blocker. This feature enhances your experience on the Oculus Quest 2 by blocking unwanted ads, trackers, and malicious websites. Filtering out intrusive content improves loading times and also enhances your privacy and security.
- Best Server Location. CyberGhost's Best Server Location automatically analyzes factors like distance, load, and latency to determine the most suitable server for faster speeds and a smoother gaming experience.
- WiFi Protection. With this feature turned on, CyberGhost automatically establishes a VPN connection whenever you connect your Oculus Quest to an unsecured network.
|A huge network lets you avoid server congestion and Oculus latency
|A 12% speed loss for uninterrupted gaming on Oculus
|29,650 servers in 91 countries, with ones optimized for streaming
|Steam, Twitch, YouTube VR, Prime Video VR, Disney Movies VR, Netflix, and National Geographic Explorer
Private Internet Access (PIA) has the largest server network of all VPNs I tested for the Quest 2. This means you can download games from any region no matter where you are and always find a working server. I always found a low-ping server during my tests and used it to play Star Trek: Bridge Crew on my Quest 2.
Thanks to its customizable connection settings, you can tweak settings based on your preferences and gaming requirements. For example, when gaming on your Oculus Quest 2, you can choose the OpenVPN protocol with AES 128-bit for solid online protection but slightly faster speeds due to fewer layers of encryption.
PIA's US home base, which is part of the 5 Eyes Alliance, concerned me. But your Oculus activities can't be traced back to you because of its verified no-logs policy. IP/DNS leak protection further protects your personal information from prying eyes by keeping your actual location hidden.
You can get a long-term PIA subscription for only $2.03/month. Apart from being cheaper, it’s no different than a short-term plan. It’s even possible to try PIA completely risk-free as it’s backed by a 30-day money-back guarantee. I found it hassle-free to get a refund by logging into my dashboard and canceling my subscription — 24/7 live chat is also available.
- Multi-protocol support. With PIA you can choose your preferred security protocol (including OpenVPN and WireGuard). I prefer WireGuard for the best streaming and gaming speeds and OpenVPN for online banking because of its unrivaled security.
- Connection automation. This feature lets you choose how PIA behaves on different networks. For example, I set it to automatically connect whenever I joined my home network on my Quest, so I didn’t have to turn it on manually each time.
- Advanced kill switch. Turning on this feature ensures no traffic goes outside the VPN, even when PIA is switched off.
|Your Oculus browsing history and communications will remain confidential
|Only a 10% speed loss and low latency are great for gaming and streaming on Oculus
|6,088 servers in 61 countries to access content anywhere
NordVPN’s cutting-edge security features provide maximum safety as you game on your Oculus Quest 2. Its military-grade encryption protects your traffic from hacking and DDoS attempts. At the same time, the Threat Protection feature blocks malware, phishing attempts, and online trackers. I tested NordVPN for IPv6, DNS, and WebRTC leaks and detected none.
Its Meshnet feature allows you to create secure private networks for gaming with friends on your Meta Quest 2. It lets you play VR games over LAN, even if your friends are on another continent. Meshnet connections provide fast speeds, excellent security, and low latency, making it perfect for multiplayer gaming.
A minor drawback is that NordVPN sometimes takes a while to establish a connection. If you encounter this problem, restart the NordVPN app to fix the issue and enjoy high-speed gaming with no lag.
You can get a long-term subscription for $3.39/month, and all NordVPN plans are backed by a 30-day money-back guarantee. I found it hassle-free to get a refund by contacting customer support via 24/7 live chat. All my money was on my credit card after 5 business days.
- NordLynx Protocol. NordVPN’s proprietary NordLynx protocol, which is based on the WireGuard protocol, is designed to give you excellent speeds and robust security.
- Dark Web Monitor. This feature continuously scans the dark web for your personal data and alerts you if it finds your data. This helps ensure accounts associated with your Oculus Quest are always safe and uncompromised.
- Dedicated IP. NordVPN allows you to buy your own unchanging IP at a small fee. Since this IP is exclusively yours, you can use it without the risk of gaming platforms like Steam banning your account.
|VPN beginners can easily find and connect to a server using the search bar
|Great speed with just a 13% speed loss
|3,200 servers in 100 countries to quickly bypass geo-restrictions
Surfsharks intuitive interface makes it straightforward to use, even if you're new to VPNs. You'll be connected to the best server for optimum streaming and gaming speeds using its Fastest server function. The Nearest Country option also connects you to the closest server location — this is useful since you'll usually get the best gaming speeds connected to a server nearby.
Its speeds are also fast enough for smooth gameplay on the Oculus Quest 2. I played No Man's Sky on my VR headset during my tests without any lag or other game-breaking connection issues.
I was worried when I saw the VPN's headquarters are in the Netherlands, part of the 14 Eyes Alliance. However, Surfshark upholds a strict no-logs policy, so it doesn't keep any of your browsing or gaming data. Like ExpressVPN, it also operates RAM-only servers which automatically wipe data whenever rebooted.
Its subscription plans are competitively priced at $2.89/month, and you can test Surfshark out on your Oculus Quest risk-free, thanks to its 30-day money-back guarantee. If you don’t like it, just ask for a full refund.
- Unlimited device connections. You can connect as many devices as you want under one subscription without having to log in and out of different devices, and the connection remains stable.
- CleanWeb. Surfshark's CleanWeb improves your VR experience by protecting your Oculus Quest from online trackers, annoying ads, and malicious websites.
Quick Comparison Table: Oculus Quest VPN Features
Below, I compiled a table showing how the different VPNs I recommend compare against each other regarding price, server networks, speeds, and privacy.
Tips on Choosing the Best VPN for Oculus Quest
Several crucial aspects need to be taken into account while selecting a VPN for Oculus Quest to ensure a seamless and secure VR experience. You are welcome to utilize my checklist below to assess the most suitable VPNs for your Meta Quest 2.
- Device compatibility. Since Oculus Quest doesn’t support native VPN apps, make sure you can install your VPN on a router or a WiFi device with network-sharing capabilities. Additionally, ensure the VPN has a downloadable APK file on its website, which lets you install it on SideQuest.
- Fast speeds. Choosing a VPN with fast speeds prevents annoying lags or buffering, ensuring your gaming and streaming remain as immersive as they should be. If the VPN slows you down a lot, you won’t be able to play or stream.
- Global server network. A VPN with an expansive server network ensures access to a global library of VR games and content. It also ensures you can always find a well-performing server in a region of your choice.
- Robust security and privacy features. To stay safe using your Oculus device, look for a VPN with AES 256-bit encryption, a kill switch, a no-logs policy, and DNS/IP/WebRTC leak protection.
- Excellent customer support. Even with the best VPN, you may encounter issues or have questions, so choosing a VPN with knowledgeable and responsive customer support is important. All the VPNs I recommend have reliable 24/7 support.
- A trustworthy money-back guarantee. VPNs should offer you the confidence to try their service without risk. I verified each VPN's money-back guarantee policy and confirmed that they issue full refunds.
Quick Guide: How to Install a VPN on Oculus Quest 2 in 3 Easy Steps
- Download a VPN APK file. Oculus Quest doesn’t support VPNs natively, so you need an APK file. I recommend ExpressVPN for its fast speeds and easy to use apps, which make it a great choice for your Oculus.
- Sideload the VPN on the Oculus Quest. Install it on your Quest using the SideQuest app. Alternatively, share your VPN connection from your PC or install it on a router.
- Start playing VR games. Connect to a VPN server to secure your connection and enjoy your Oculus.
Why You Need a VPN for Oculus Quest
Many games and streaming platforms on Oculus Quest are tied to your location. If you travel to another region, you might lose access to your favorite VR apps. For example, Twitch isn’t available in China, Russia, Slovakia, or Vietnam.
A VPN solves this problem by allowing you to change your IP address, giving you access to global VR content wherever you are. It does this by tunneling traffic from your Oculus Quest through servers in a different location before it reaches the websites you want to access. When gaming and streaming services check your IP, they only see the VPN server’s IP.
Using a VPN also keeps your data private and secure when using your Quest 2. It masks your actual IP and encrypts your traffic, making it hard for third parties to know your identity, location, or what you’re doing on your VR headset.
Detailed Guide: How to Install and Use a VPN on Oculus Quest 2
Since you can’t install a VPN app on an Oculus Quest headset, you’ll have to choose 1 of 3 ways to connect your headset to a VPN. These include using Sideload Oculus Quest, Network Sharing, or a home router. All of these methods will help you bypass geoblocks and secure your connection.
Sideload Oculus Quest
Follow the steps below to sideload a VPN on your Oculus Quest using the SideQuest app:
- Register as an Oculus Quest developer. Sign in to your Oculus Quest account and submit a developer request. It’s free to do.
- Download the Oculus app. Installing the app on your phone or PC makes accessing the settings on your Oculus Quest easier.
- Enable Developer Mode. Open the Oculus app and connect to your VR headset, then go to settings and change the toggle on Developer Mode.
- Install Sidequest on your device. Go to the SideQuest website, download the latest version on your computer, and follow the installation instructions.
- Enable a USB Connection. Connect your Oculus Quest to your computer with a USB cable, load SideQuest, and select Connect Device. Then, turn on your Oculus Quest, go to your settings, and allow USB debugging.
- Install your VPN on Sidequest. Go to your VPN’s website and download its APK file. Next, open SideQuest, choose Repos, and drag and drop the APK file into the Repos window.
- Connect to your VPN. Go to your Oculus home screen, select Library, and choose Unknown Sources. Then, open your VPN’s APK and connect to the server.
Share a network through a PC
This method involves hosting a VPN connection on your computer and connecting your Oculus Quest to it.
- Bring up the Command Prompt. Open the search bar on your Windows laptop and type “cmd” to open the command prompt. Then, right-click and select Run as administrator.
- Create your virtual router. Type the following: netsh wlan set hostednetwork mode=allow ssid=NETWORKNAME key=PASSWORD. Then, name your network by setting the SSID and key values, which are your network name and password. When that’s done, type netsh wlan start hostednetwork in the command prompt and hit Enter. If all is successful, you will see a message that says, "The host network has started".
- Share your network. Open your VPN on your PC and connect to a server. Right-click on the Windows Start icon, select Network Connections, choose Change Adaptor Options, and right-click your VPN.
- Open Properties. Pick the Sharing tab, and click the checkbox next to Allow other network users to connect through this computer’s internet connection. Finally, choose the connection you’ve created under Home Network Connection.
- Connect your Oculus Quest. Turn on your Oculus headset and go to your WiFi settings. Choose your network and enter the password to connect.
Use a router
Before installing a VPN on your home router, ensure it’s VPN compatible, as some routers aren’t. Since the installation process for each router and VPN differs, this guide is generalized. For more specific instructions, look at our step-by-step VPN router installations guide.
- Sign in to your router. Simply enter your router’s IP address in your browser and enter our login details, such as username and password.
- Install your VPN. Check if your router has VPN functionality or if it needs manual configuration. I recommend ExpressVPN as it’s easy to configure on most routers.
- Connect to your router. Turn on your Oculus Quest and connect to your home router as usual.
FAQs on the Best VPNs for Oculus Quest
Is a VPN compatible with Oculus Quest 2?
While there are no native VPN apps for Oculus Quest 2, you can still connect it to a VPN. One way to do this is to sideload the VPN on your Oculus Quest 2 using the SideQuest app. Alternatively, you can connect your Quest to a VPN by installing the VPN on your router or sharing your VPN connection from your PC.
All these methods encrypt the traffic from your Oculus Quest and allow you to access global VR content from anywhere.
Is using a VPN with Oculus Quest safe and legal?
Yes, using a VPN with Oculus Quest is safe and legal. In fact, a VPN’s primary purpose is to protect your online privacy. You just need to be careful in places where VPNs are restricted or prohibited, like China or Russia. To avoid breaking any rules, carefully review the laws of the country you’re visiting before using a VPN.
Can I use a free VPN for Oculus Quest?
Using a free VPN with Oculus Quest is possible but not recommended. Free VPNs have significant limitations that affect your VR experience and compromise your safety. A top-tier VPN with a money-back guarantee is a more reliable alternative as it comes with high-level encryption and servers worldwide. Free services restrict your speed and server network, resulting in slower speeds and lag.
A bigger problem is their lack of security and privacy features, which can result in your data falling into the wrong hands. For example, many free VPNs collect user data and sell it to third parties, which is how they make money.
Does a VPN affect the quality of content on Oculus Quest?
A VPN can positively affect the quality of your content on Oculus Quest. It can give you more game options. Also, it can improve your gaming experience by preventing ISP throttling while streaming or gaming. However, some VPNs can slow you down and cause lag. A fast VPN like ExpressVPN will hardly make a difference to your speeds and quality on Oculus Quest.
Is the Oculus Quest 2 region-locked?
The Oculus Quest 2 itself is not region-locked, but some content, apps, or features might be restricted based on your location. This happens due to regional laws or licensing agreements. By changing your IP address you can access global content from anywhere with the help of a reliable VPN like ExpressVPN.
Why is my VPN not working with Oculus Quest?
If your VPN isn’t working with your Oculus Quest, you can try a couple of solutions to resolve the issue. You can try connecting to a different server, and if it still doesn’t work, restart the VPN app. If the problem persists, uninstall and install the VPN app afresh. If you still have trouble connecting to a VPN server, contact your provider for assistance.
What’s the difference between Meta Quest 2 and Oculus Quest 2?
The Oculus Quest 2 and the Meta Quest 2 are the same product. They share the same features and specifications. The only difference between them is the name and logo on the device. This means VPNs that work on the Oculus Quest 2 will work equally well on the Meta Quest 2.
Get the Best VPN for Oculus Quest
Oculus Quest doesn’t support native VPN apps, but connecting your Quest device to a VPN is still possible. Using a premium VPN on your Quest 2 allows unlimited access to VR content from anywhere while keeping your online activities safe and private.
My favorite VPN for Oculus Quest is ExpressVPN. Its fast speeds, easy-to-use router app, and advanced security features provide safe and reliable online gaming and streaming. Plus, its global server network gives you plenty of options for accessing your favorite content. You can try all ExpressVPN with Oculus Quest risk-free since it has a 30-day money-back guarantee.
To summarize, these are the best VPNs for Oculus Quest…
Your data is exposed to the websites you visit!
Your IP Address:
Your Internet Provider:
The information above can be used to track you, target you for ads, and monitor what you do online.
VPNs can help you hide this information from websites so that you are protected at all times. We recommend ExpressVPN — the #1 VPN out of over 350 providers we've tested. It has military-grade encryption and privacy features that will ensure your digital security, plus — it's currently offering 49% off.