Does NordVPN Work With BBC iPlayer? Yes, But Only If You Do This
The BBC is known for producing exceptional programming, so it’s unfortunate if you are outside the UK and can’t access their on-demand service, BBC iPlayer. Streaming, downloading, or watching live TV with BBC iPlayer is geographically restricted to those with a UK IP address.
Proxies and VPNs can be used to access geo-restricted content, but BBC iPlayer has implemented tighter controls on IP masking methods in recent years.
BBC iPlayer can easily detect if hundreds of users are using the same IP address through a VPN to access the service. This is not typical household usage covered by a single TV license. As a result, the VPN IP address will be blacklisted and banned from accessing BBC iPlayer.
To overcome BBC iPlayer’s geoblocks, you need a robust VPN that regularly refreshes its servers’ IP addresses to prevent detection, no matter where in the world you are.
NordVPN is one such VPN, with a great reputation for bypassing the geo-restrictions of BBC iPlayer and other popular streaming services, such as Netflix and Hulu.
Furthermore, NordVPN has the speed, server types and locations, and encryption that you will need for hassle-free streaming and downloading with BBC iPlayer.
How to Use NordVPN to Access BBC iPlayer Content from Anywhere
NordVPN makes it easy to access on-demand content and watch live TV with BBC iPlayer, from anywhere in the world.
Follow the steps below and you’ll be watching enjoying the best of British programming in minutes:
- Visit the NordVPN website, select a plan, and install the software.
- Connect to a server in the UK.
- Sign in to your BBC iPlayer account.
- There’s nothing left to do but relax and enjoy your favorite BBC shows.
Why Choose NordVPN to Unblock BBC iPlayer?
BBC iPlayer has put significant effort into detecting and blocking VPN use to access their content.
Many VPNs are unable to bypass these blocks, but high-performing VPNs like NordVPN have proven themselves capable of getting around even the toughest of geo-restrictions.
NordVPN has an impressive network of over 700 servers in the UK for guaranteed access to BBC iPlayer no matter where you are in the world.
Server location is not the only advantage NordVPN has. They run obfuscated servers that hide the fact that a VPN has been used to encrypt your data.
This makes it almost impossible for BBC iPlayer to distinguish between your encrypted VPN data and normal user data. This means that fewer NordVPN UK IP addresses will be blacklisted.
Furthermore, if you are willing to pay a little extra, NordVPN offers dedicated IP addresses, which are great for easy content unblocking.
Speed is Essential for Watching BBC iPlayer
To enjoy BBC iPlayer at its best, you will want the videos and live TV to load quickly and without any tedious buffering.
For problem-free streaming, you will need to meet BBC iPlayer’s minimum speed requirements:
- Standard-definition video (480p) – 1.5 Mbps
- High-definition video (720p) – 2.8 Mbps
- Ultra HD (1080p) is not currently available with iPlayer.
Recent network improvements have drastically increased NordVPN’s speeds, ensuring you hassle-free streaming.
Levels of encryption tend to slow a VPN down, but NordVPN strikes the perfect balance between speed and security.
Users of this highly-rated VPN are consistently impressed with its ability to bypass blocks and with the fast and stable speeds of its server network.
Additional Benefits of Using NordVPN to Watch BBC iPlayer
With NordVPN at your disposal, you will have so much more than just high speeds and the right servers for watching BBC iPlayer.
There are a number of other reasons why NordVPN is a great VPN to use every time you go online:
- Strict no-logs policy that ensures the safety of your data.
- CyberSec suite that provides adblocking and extra malware protection.
- Two different automatic kill switches that prevent your data from being exposed with a sudden drop in connection, as well as leak-proof apps.
- Military-grade encryption and Double VPN that safeguard your privacy.
- Dedicated servers for smooth streaming, P2P and torrenting.
- User-friendly apps for all major operating systems and devices.
- Simultaneous connections for up to six devices.
- Excellent 24/7 customer support, including live chat. They also have a huge knowledge base for information on servers and setup.
- 30-day risk-free, money-back guarantee, no questions asked.
Summary and Further Reading
With all of these impressive features, it’s not hard to see why NordVPN is one of the most popular VPNs on the market.
It has everything you need to stream safely and smoothly while protecting your privacy every time you go online.
NordVPN is our top choice to use with BBC iPlayer, but do check out our other recommendations in our article on the top 5 VPNs to access BBC iPlayer.