How to Unblock and Stream Amazon Prime from Anywhere in 2020
Amazon Prime Video is one of the most exciting streaming services in the world. It’s also one of the biggest – available in over 200 territories and countries, it’s now completely separate from Amazon’s retail site in most regions.
There is one problem. In many locations, Prime Video restricts access to its TV shows and movies. Some of its most popular content is only available in the USA, UK, and a small number of other countries. If you’re not in the right region, you are missing out on amazing dramas, comedies, and horror shows, movies, and cult classics.
We have good news. You still can access all of Prime Video, from anywhere in the world. All you need is a powerful VPN.
We’ll quickly show you how to use a VPN to unblock and stream videos from Amazon Prime and how to choose the best VPN for the job.
Quick Guide: How to Unblock Amazon Prime Video Using a VPN
- Choose a VPN with servers in the US or UK. We recommend ExpressVPN for Amazon Prime.
- Download and install your VPN.
- Connect to a server in the country you’re trying to access.
- Log on to Prime and start streaming!
Why You Need a VPN to Unblock Amazon
Amazon Prime Video uses geo-restrictions to block a lot of its movies and TV shows from being viewed outside of the US and the UK. There are several reasons for this, including copyrights and licensing issues. Some content may also be banned in certain countries due to government censorship. No matter the reasons for the restrictions, your viewing options will be limited if you’re not in the US or the UK—even if you’re a paying customer or just traveling.
One of the many benefits of using a VPN is that you can change your IP address. A VPN hides your actual location and makes it appear as if you are almost anywhere in the world.
Changing your location to appear in a country where Amazon Prime is fully available – such as the UK or USA – gives you full access to geo-restricted channels and content. VPNs also use military-grade encryption to secure your connection. Your online activities are hidden and protected, while you remain anonymous and safe online.
Not all VPNs are able to bypass the geo-restrictions put in place by the streaming giants. You need to choose your VPN carefully and pick one that is able to bypass geo-restrictions and remain undetected.
We’ve tested dozens of VPNs to determine the best for unblocking Amazon Prime Video for viewers outside the US and the UK. Keep reading to see our recommendations and then learn about how to install a VPN.
Here’s a summary of the best VPNs for Amazon Prime Video
- ExpressVPN – one of the fastest VPNs on the market, it also offers high-quality security and privacy features. With ExpresVPN, you’ll enjoy consistent connections and lots of flexibility.
- NordVPN – our best VPN overall for 2020, NordVPN easily bypasses geoblocks so you can stream from around the world. You’re also protected by military-grade encryption and have access to world-class customer support.
- CyberGhost – super simple to use, so it’s great for both beginners and advanced users. Hundreds of US and UK servers ensure easy access, and a no-logs policy protects your identity.
- Surfshark – unlimited simultaneous connections allow everyone to stream on their own devices. It also offers fast speeds and strong security measures.
- PrivateVPN – beginner-friendly VPN with low-cost pricing, servers in the US and the UK, and helpful customer service.
Tip: If you’d like to know more about each of these VPNs and how they can help you unblock Amazon, read our special guide to the best VPNs for Amazon Prime.
How to Unblock Amazon Prime Video
1. Choose a VPN with a big selection of international servers.
You need a VPN that offers lightning-quick connection speeds and can blast through geoblocks with servers in the US or the UK. Our top choice is ExpressVPN.
2. Download and install your VPN. Connect to a server where Amazon Prime Video is available.
The USA and UK are two top choices. Other countries with large libraries include Australia, Brazil, Canada, France, Germany, India, Italy, Japan, Mexico, the Netherlands, and Spain. Remember that the content you can access may still differ in each location.
In the example below, we are connected to a server in the USA.
3. Sign up for Amazon Prime and start streaming your favorite shows!
Can You Use a Free VPN for Amazon Prime?
You might be tempted to use a free VPN, but we recommend that you think twice. Lots of no-cost VPNs say they can get around Amazon’s geoblocks, but the truth is that many can’t. Aside from that, using some free VPNs can actually be dangerous.
Free VPNs are unable to invest in large numbers of servers or tools that make premium VPNs untraceable to Amazon. As a result, Amazon Prime will often block you if you use a free VPN. Even if you do find a free VPN that can bypass the most powerful geo-restrictions in the world, you will face many more issues.
Free VPNs slow down your internet connection and limit your data so much, streaming becomes impossible. Worse, many actually track your online activity, sell your data, don’t protect you from malware, and bombard you with ads. Everything a VPN is supposed to stop! They do all this to generate income, instead of offering a quality service for a small price.
Instead of taking a risk with a free VPN, ensure a much safer and more enjoyable experience by signing up to a good value, premium VPN. They offer a host of amazing benefits, keep you protected, and will definitely give you access to Amazon Prime – all for the price of a coffee.
If you’re still not sure, try one out for free with a risk-free, 30-day money-back guarantee and see for yourself.
The Bottom Line
A premium VPN is a must-have if you want to access Amazon Prime Video from outside the US or the UK. Our recommendations above offer fast speeds for buffer-free streaming, as well as lots of security features that will keep you safe.
Aside from getting around geo-restrictions, the best VPNs offer a wide range of benefits that will transform your internet experience. If you’re still not sure, see for yourself and try ExpressVPN risk-free for up to 30 days.
Still deciding which VPN to choose? Check out the best VPN deals on offer.
How about Netflix? We’ve picked the only VPNs that STILL work on the platform.
If you’re streaming on more than one device, you’ll need a VPN that can protect them all. Take a look at the best.