How to Watch American Netflix Online With a VPN in 2024
- Quick Guide: How to Watch American Netflix With a VPN in 3 Easy Steps
- Best VPNs to Securely Watch Netflix US in 2024
- ExpressVPN — Stream Netflix US in HD Without Buffering With Consistently Fast Speeds
- CyberGhost — Streaming-Optimized Servers to Reliably Watch Netflix US Without Interruptions
- Private Internet Access (PIA) — Servers in All US States for Securely Watching Netflix Without Slowdowns
- NordVPN — Intuitive VPN for Easy and Safe Streaming of Netflix US
- Surfshark — Unlimited Simultaneous Connections for Watching Netflix Interruption-Free Across All Your Devices
- How to Watch Netflix on Any Device
- What Should I Do If I Can't Watch US Netflix With a VPN?
- Tips on Choosing the Best VPN for Watching Netflix US
- FAQs on Watching US Netflix With a VPN
- Securely Watch American Netflix in Minutes
Sometimes, I want to spend a weekend snuggling under a blanket and watching Netlfix — who doesn’t? Unfortunately, US ISPs are infamous for intentional bandwidth throttling, so you might encounter annoying buffering while binge-watching your favorite shows. Luckily, a VPN can help avoid that.
Please note that the American Netflix library is restricted outside the US. While, technically, a VPN could allow you to watch American Netflix from another country, this would likely breach Netflix’s terms and conditions and could even constitute copyright infringement.
If you’re in the US and just want to watch American Netflix securely without buffering, I recommend ExpressVPN. It has military-grade encryption to prevent ISP throttling and excellent speeds for uninterrupted streaming. Even better, you can try ExpressVPN without risk as it’s backed by a 30-day money-back guarantee.
Quick Guide: How to Watch American Netflix With a VPN in 3 Easy Steps
- Download a VPN. I recommend ExpressVPN for Netflix because it offers consistently fast and reliable US servers to help you watch your shows without annoying buffering.
- If you’re in the US, connect to a US server. Closeby servers will provide you with the best speeds for streaming.
- Start watching. Log in to your Netflix US account and stream your favorite shows privately and without buffering.
Best VPNs to Securely Watch Netflix US in 2024
Tested February 2024 Try Risk-Free for 30 Days
|Fast US server locations for watching American Netflix securely and in HD
|3,000 servers in 105 countries, including 24 US locations
|Windows, macOS, Linux, iOS, Android, Chrome, Edge, smart TVs, PlayStation, Xbox, Nintendo Switch, Nvidia Shield TV, Android TVs, Amazon Fire TV Stick, Roku, Chromecast, routers, and more
|Prevent ISP throttling on devices that don’t support VPN apps, like Smart TVs
ExpressVPN had the highest connection speeds among any VPN I tried. From my base speed of 105.37 Mbps, I got a constant 92.16 Mbps with the US New York server — a mere 13% speed drop. While in the US, I tested a few of ExpressVPN’s other US locations and got fast performance on each. My stream of Insecure played smoothly in UHD on Netflix US with each server.
It offers 24 US locations with a lot of servers in each one. ExpressVPN’s IPs are regularly updated to make sure they work, and that shows. While in the US, I watched Netflix US privately and never encountered network congestion.
You can even use the MediaStreamer feature to prevent ISP throttling on devices that don’t support VPN apps, such as Smart TVs and gaming consoles. By following some simple instructions on ExpressVPN’s website, I installed MediaStreamer on my PlayStation in under 3 minutes.
A minor drawback is that this VPN’s subscriptions are a bit expensive. However, it worked the best during all my tests and allows you to connect 8 devices simultaneously, so it’s really worth every penny. Plus, you can try ExpressVPN’s US servers risk-free as it offers a 30-day money-back guarantee. You can easily contact customer service for a refund via the 24/7 live chat.
- Recent location. ExpressVPN saves your most recently used server location. This can help you connect to the last US server you used in just one click if you often watch Netflix while in the US.
- Favorite servers. If you find US servers that have the best speeds for streaming American Netflix from the US, you can mark them as favorites. This puts them in the Favorites list for easy access.
- Website shortcuts. Another useful feature of ExpressVPN lets you make shortcuts to your favorite websites and platforms. These will then appear as soon as you open the VPN app and connect. By clicking on the Netflix shortcut that you’ll add, you can start watching in just a couple of seconds.
- Split tunneling. This feature lets you set ExpressVPN to be used for securely streaming Netflix US while you use a regular internet connection to game online without lag.
2. CyberGhost — Streaming-Optimized Servers to Reliably Watch Netflix US Without Interruptions
|Has a server specifically optimized for streaming American Netflix in HD without buffering
|11,683 servers in 100 countries and 11 US locations
|Windows, macOS, Linux, smart TVs, Android, iOS, Chrome, Amazon Fire TV Stick, Roku, PlayStation, Xbox, routers, and more
|US DNS servers to prevent intentional ISP throttling
CyberGhost offers reliable, dedicated US Netflix streaming-optimized servers. They are consistently updated to always offer fast speeds and minimal server congestion. While in the US, I tested one of CyberGhost’s Netflix US servers and got a reliable stream in HD throughout my whole binge of The Good Doctor.
Finding the US Netflix streaming server is also easy with the app’s intuitive layout and dedicated server tabs for various purposes. You can simply go to the For streaming tab, where you'll find a comprehensive list of optimized servers for specific streaming platforms. While in the US, it only took me a few seconds to find the Netflix US servers and connect to it.
CyberGhost's speeds are slower when compared to ExpressVPN — I experienced a drop of 18–40%. However, during my testing, it was fast enough to watch my Netflix US shows from New York in HD because my base speeds are fast to begin with.
You can try CyberGhost for free with Netflix since it offers a 45-day money-back guarantee. In case you decide this VPN isn’t for you, you can have your subscription refunded by contacting customer support.
- App rules. CyberGhost lets you choose a server to use automatically when you launch a specific platform or website. I chose Netflix’s website and the server optimized for Netflix US for streaming in HD without interruptions while in the US. This saved me a lot of time
- Fast protocols. The VPN includes WireGuard and OpenVPN, made for high-speed performance. Personally, I use WireGuard when streaming Netflix, as my speeds end up higher with it than OpenVPN.
- Adjustable MTU. If you have a slow baseline internet, CyberGhost lets you reduce your MTU size to move your data in smaller packets. This can increase your Netflix streaming performance.
- 7 simultaneous connections. You can connect the VPN to 7 devices at the same time, so you and your family in the US can watch American Netflix securely on your phone, PC, or any device you have.
3. Private Internet Access (PIA) — Servers in All US States for Securely Watching Netflix Without Slowdowns
|Offers locations in all American states for a secure Netflix US streaming experience
|29,650 servers in 91 countries, with 53 US locations
|Windows, macOS, Linux, Android, iOS, smart TVs, game consoles, Amazon Fire TV Stick, routers, and more
|Helps you stream US Netflix without buffering on devices incompatible with VPNs
PIA's advantage lies in its impressive server network in all US states. This extensive coverage gives you better speeds since bandwidth is more spread out, and there are more nearby server options. Crowded or faraway servers can cause buffering, so PIA’s huge US-based network is ideal for watching American Netflix from the US.
Another great thing about PIA is the fact that it offers unlimited simultaneous device connections. This means you can connect it to your smartphone, tablet, laptop, and even your smart TV, all at the same time, and enjoy US Netflix shows (while in the US) interruption-free without having to disconnect any devices.
PIA also offers a high level of customizability of your level of encryption, type of kill switch, and protocols. This may be overwhelming if you’re a VPN beginner. But the crucial settings come pre-configured, so you don’t need to change anything to watch Netflix US securely.
You can try PIA for free for 30 days — it offers a money-back guarantee to all new users. Customer support will process your refund request quickly in case you end up opting for a different VPN.
- Streaming-optimized servers. Unlike CyberGhost’s platform-based streaming-optimized servers, PIA offers streaming-optimized servers based on locations, including the US. It helped me stream Netflix US in HD every time I tested the US East and West-optimized servers from New York.
- Fast speeds. PIA had fast speeds on all US servers I tested, which was great for streaming American Netflix from the US. From my base speed of 105.37 Mbps, I got 85 Mbps, with only a 19% drop.
- 24/7 customer support. This VPN has good customer support, available 24/7 through the website’s live chat and email. If you encounter an issue, they will be able to help you as soon as possible.
|Easy-to-use app, great for new VPN users
|6,088 fast servers in 61 countries, including 16 US locations
|Windows, macOS, Linux, Android, iOS, Amazon Fire TV Stick, Apple TV, Chromecast, PlayStation, Xbox, routers, and more
|Has a US DNS option for streaming Netflix US without ISP throttling
NordVPN’s app has a very user-friendly interface, ensuring that even if you’re a VPN novice, you can navigate its features with ease. With a world map and a search bar, this VPN guides you through the process of choosing a US connection for your Netflix with just a few clicks when you’re in the US.
A small shortcoming is that you can’t favorite your most used servers. However, NordVPN saves 5 of your recent connections on the main screen. So, if you frequently use its US servers, you can connect to them with just a click to securely watch American Netflix from the country.
NordVPN has a 30-day money-back guarantee, so you can try it out easily and request a refund from customer support if you end up unsatisfied. A live chat agent approved my refund request in under 5 minutes.
- NordLynx protocol. NordVPN has its own proprietary protocol called NordLynx, which has consistently high speeds for US Netflix. I experienced a 9% drop on average using its US servers from New York.
- SmartPlay. This tool is a mixture of a VPN and Smart DNS. It works automatically in the background and gives you more reliability for streaming Netflix US securely and without throttling.
- Quick Connect. The app can be set to automatically connect to a server of your choice upon launch. Set it to connect to the US server that worked best for you for streaming Netflix buffer-free.
5. Surfshark — Unlimited Simultaneous Connections for Watching Netflix Interruption-Free Across All Your Devices
|Connect as many devices as you want with one Surfshark account
|3,200 servers in 100 countries, along with 25 US locations
|Windows, macOS, Linux, Chrome, Android, iOS, smart TVs, Apple TV, routers, and more
|US DNS addresses to watch American Netflix from the US without buffering, even on your VPN-incompatible smart TV
Surfshark allows you unlimited connections at once. It ensures that you can stream Netflix US in HD buffer-free without being interrupted by annoying login limits. During my Surfshark tests, it streamed Netflix US from New York reliably and in great quality, even when I connected the VPN to both my phone and laptop at the same time.
Surfshark allows you to measure the ping and displays it next to each server. However, the only thing that I didn’t like is that you can’t refresh the speed metrics while you’re connected. So you need to disconnect in the middle of your Netflix stream if you want to use that feature. But disconnecting takes just a click, so it’s not that big of an issue.
Surfshark offers a 30-day money-back guarantee, so you can try it for free and see if it meets your standards for Netflix.
- NoBorders. This feature helps you establish a connection on restrictive networks, so you can watch Netflix US in HD from schools or workplaces while in the US.
- Speed test. Although you can’t use this tool while connected, you can check the speeds of a server beforehand to decide if the location is good for streaming US Netflix in HD from your US location. On average, I got a speed drop of 13%, which was very good.
How to Watch Netflix on Any Device
Watch Netflix on Fire Stick, Phone, PC, and Android TV
Watching Netflix securely and buffer-free is easy on devices such as your iPhone, Android, PC (Windows or macOS), Fire Stick, or Android TV. This is because all of these support native VPN apps, which take only a few minutes to download and install.
- Get a VPN. Download and install the VPN app on the device you want to stream Netflix securely. Make sure to follow the instructions for your device's operating system. I recommend ExpressVPN due to its very intuitive apps for these devices and consistently fast speeds for streaming in UHD.
- Connect to a local server. Nearby servers will give you faster speeds for uninterrupted streaming.
- Open Netflix and stream your favorite shows privately. After establishing a VPN connection, open the Netflix app on your device and start streaming without interruptions.
Watch Netflix on Smart TVs, Gaming Consoles, and Streaming Devices
If you're using a smart TV such as LG or Samsung, gaming consoles, or other devices like Roku that don't have native VPN app support, you can still prevent ISP throttling by using tools like Smart DNS.
- Choose a VPN service with Smart DNS. ExpressVPN comes with a MediaStreamer Smart DNS tool, which I was able to configure on a PlayStation 4 in under 10 minutes.
- Activate your Smart DNS. If you use ExpressVPN, you will have to log in to your account on the VPN's website to activate it.
- Follow your activation instructions. Most VPNs that come with Smart DNS have extensive setup guides on their websites. Follow it to complete your setup. ExpressVPN's setup involves registering your IP address first. Then, you'll find the MediaStreamer DNS addresses on its setup page.
- Access your device’s settings. Look for the network or internet settings section. You will find the DNS settings within these options.
- Configure the DNS settings manually. Go into your device’s network settings and enter the primary and secondary DNS server addresses provided on your ExpressVPN account setup page. Don’t forget to apply the changes.
- Enjoy Netflix US. Once the Smart DNS is activated, you should be able to watch the Netflix US library from the US on your LG TV, Samsung TV, PS4, or any other streaming device without intentional ISP throttling.
You can also watch Netflix securely and buffer-free on VPN-incompatible devices by configuring the VPN on your router. However, this process is quite techy, so an easier solution is to buy a pre-configured router with a VPN already set up. This way, all your home devices connected to that router will use the VPN connection.
What Should I Do If I Can't Watch US Netflix With a VPN?
Even with a top-tier VPN, there may be times when the US servers will cause an error while trying to watch American Netflix from the US. If this happens, you’ll get the Netflix proxy error with the code M7111-5059. Luckily, there are some solutions to this problem:
- Try a different local server — Netflix regularly collects and blocks VPN IP addresses, so if you’re in the US, you may need to connect to different US locations to get it working. A quicker way is to ask your VPN provider for a list of US servers that work with Netflix.
- Clear your cache — Your cached data may trigger geoblocks. Go to the settings and delete your browser history, cache, and cookies. You might have to find them under Advanced Settings.
If these fixes don’t work, try contacting your VPN’s customer support (possibly through live chat if they offer one). And if they can’t help, you probably just need a more reliable VPN for watching American Netflix from the US without buffering.
Tips on Choosing the Best VPN for Watching Netflix US
I made a short list of valuable features I looked for while testing VPNs for Netflix, in case you want to choose the right VPN for your needs yourself.
- Servers in the US. If you’re in the US, look for VPNs with server locations across different US states. Having more options allows bandwidth to be spread out, which helps avoid buffering caused by server overcrowding.
- Fast speeds. Streaming American Netflix requires a fast and stable connection. Look for VPNs that offer high-speed servers that won’t slow you down by more than 20–30%.
- Easy to use. User-friendly apps and intuitive interfaces can be of great help to new VPN users. So be sure to choose an app that’s easy to navigate and use if you’ve never used a VPN before. The VPNs I shortlisted are all very intuitive across all compatible devices.
- Wide device compatibility. Ensure that the VPN is compatible with the devices you use for US Netflix. Whether it's a smart TV, gaming console, or mobile platform, check if the VPN provider offers dedicated apps and setup guides.
- Simultaneous device connections. If you have multiple devices for streaming American Netflix from the US, choose a VPN that allows a sufficient number of simultaneous connections.
FAQs on Watching US Netflix With a VPN
Can I use a free VPN to watch American Netflix?
You can, but using a free VPN to watch American Netflix securely is not something I recommend. Free VPNs often lack resources to stream shows on Netflix consistently in HD buffer-free, resulting in an overall bad experience.
Furthermore, free VPNs often have slower speeds and data caps and may compromise your privacy by logging your online activities. I didn’t have these issues with premium VPNs. That’s why it’s better to use a tried-out, quality VPN that comes with a money-back guarantee. At least you can safely try it out and see if you like it.
Will Netflix block me for using a VPN, and is it legal?
If Netflix detects your VPN, it won’t block your account. It will give you the Netflix proxy error instead of access to your selected show/movie. Use a reliable VPN to stream American Netflix from the US securely without errors.
VPNs are legal in most countries, including the US, so using one with US Netflix is fine as long as you don’t do anything illegal with it. You just need to be careful in places that restrict or outlaw VPNs, like China, Russia, and Belarus, so review local laws before you use one.
Theoretically, you could use a VPN to obtain a US IP address while you are in another location. However, this may violate Netflix’s terms and conditions and could potentially be viewed as copyright infringement.
On which devices can I watch American Netflix with a VPN?
If you’re in the US, you can watch American Netflix with a VPN on various devices. These include:
- Smartphones, tablets, computers: Windows, macOS, Android, and iOS
- Gaming consoles: PlayStation and Xbox
- Smart TVs: LG TV, Samsung TV, Android TVs (Sony, Phillips, and Hisense)
- Streaming devices: Roku, Apple TV, Fire TV Stick, Fire TV, and more
Can I watch US Netflix from Canada, Australia, the UK, or other parts of Europe?
To legally watch US-specific content from outside the US, you would typically need to be in the US. Netflix's licensing agreements are specific to each region, and the company uses your IP address to determine your location and provide the corresponding content library.
Remember, while using tools like VPNs to access geo-restricted content is a common practice, it violates the terms of service of streaming platforms like Netflix. Always consider the legal and ethical implications of accessing content outside of your geographical location. My team and I don’t condone copyright infringement.
Do I need a US Netflix account and billing address to watch US Netflix?
No, you don’t need a US-specific Netflix account or a US billing address to watch American Netflix while you are in the US. Netflix provides content based on your current geographical location, not on the country associated with your account or billing address. Therefore, regardless of where your account was created or your billing address, if you are physically located in the US, you will have access to the American Netflix library.
Securely Watch American Netflix in Minutes
With a reliable VPN service, you can stream American Netflix from the US securely and without ISP throttling. However, not all VPNs work with this platform, so I tested many to find the most reliable ones.
My top choice is ExpressVPN, with its military-grade encryption and excellent speeds. You can try it without risk since it offers a 30-day money-back guarantee.
To summarize, these are the best VPNs for securely watching US Netflix…
Your data is exposed to the websites you visit!
Your IP Address:
Your Internet Provider:
The information above can be used to track you, target you for ads, and monitor what you do online.
VPNs can help you hide this information from websites so that you are protected at all times. We recommend ExpressVPN — the #1 VPN out of over 350 providers we've tested. It has military-grade encryption and privacy features that will ensure your digital security, plus — it's currently offering 49% off.