10 Best FREE Streaming Sites for Movies & TV Shows in 2024
- Best Free Streaming Sites for Movies and TV Shows
- Other Popular Free Streaming Sites
- Best VPNs to Use With Free Streaming Sites — Full Analysis (Updated 2024)
- ExpressVPN — Impressive Speeds for Streaming Without Buffering
- CyberGhost — Intuitive Interface to Immediately Start Watching Free Movies and Shows
- Private Internet Access (PIA) — Servers in All 50 States to Watch Free US Streaming Sites in HD
- Quick Guide: How to Stream Movies and TV Shows for Free With a VPN in 3 Easy Steps
- Best Free Premium Streaming Sites
- FAQs on Using a VPN for Free Streaming Sites
- Get the Best VPN for Free Streaming Sites
Free streaming sites can be risky, so knowing where to look and how to protect yourself is key. After testing over 100 free streaming sites for safety, usability, and speed, my team and I shortlisted the 10 best ones below.
Free video streams and torrents have many dangers. Some contain copyrighted content that’s not licensed for that platform or your location, so you’ll be breaking the law if you watch it. Hence, you need to be careful and check whether the title you want to see is in the public domain.
Plus, these sites are often rife with hackers, trackers, scammers, phishing scams, and “malvertising” (ads containing malware). I recommend using a reliable VPN to protect your data and devices from these attacks, so you can enjoy a selection of great movies and TV shows for free.
I recommend ExpressVPN to keep your connection and data private. It provides military-grade encryption to keep you safe online and fantastic speeds for uninterrupted streaming in HD. Thanks to a 30-day money-back guarantee, you can try ExpressVPN without risk.
Short on Time? Here Are the Best Free Streaming Sites for Movies and TV Shows in 2024
- Tubi TV — The best overall free streaming site with a huge selection of classics and new releases provided by Fox. No sign-up is needed. US only.
- Vudu Movies on Us — A large catalog of free popular movies and TV shows with some paid options, all licensed through Fandango. US only.
- XUMO Play — Over 300 free TV channels available to stream, all licensed by Comcast and Charter. Plus, free movies with some exclusive titles. Available in the US, Canada, France, Germany, Brazil, and Mexico.
- Plex — A free (with ads) streaming service with thousands of movies and TV channels with content licensed by Lionsgate, A24, and more. Available in over 200 countries.
- Freevee — Tons of free, ad-supported TV shows and movies, with a rotating list of blockbusters available monthly. Powered by Amazon. US only.
Best Free Streaming Sites for Movies and TV Shows
1. Tubi TV — Instantly Watch Hit Movies and TV Shows Without Registering
Owned by Fox Corporation, Tubi TV is a free and entirely legal platform with no credit cards and no subscription required. It offers a wide range of popular movies and TV series in HD, including classics and new releases.
Its user interface is attractive and well-organized, making it simple to find and stream your favorite content. Search options such as Browse, Tubi Kids, and Live TV are easily accessible at the top.
You can watch Tubi without an account, but if you sign up, you can create a watchlist, get recommendations, and use parental controls. To register, you need to provide your name, date of birth, and email address.
On the downside, you will need to watch some ads in between streaming, which is how the platform makes revenue. You can watch Tubi in the US, Canada, Mexico, Australia, and New Zealand, and the titles you can watch vary by region.
2. Vudu Movies on Us — A Great Selection of Classics and Blockbusters
Vudu Movies on Us provides a wide range of classic and new movies and shows, both free and pay-to-view. Its free catalog includes hundreds of titles, from old movies to popular hits like School of Rock or Mad Max, ensuring there’s something for everyone. The video quality allows you to stream in up to 1080p, so there are no concerns regarding the quality.
The website is also well organized — it's immediately clear which titles are free and which are rentals. There's a basic search option if you're looking for something specific.
Vudu is only available in the US. You do need to sign up for the service, but this takes less than a minute, and you only need to provide a name, email address, and password.
3. XUMO Play — Stream Live TV and Thousands of TV Shows and Movies
With XUMO Play (formerly XUMO TV), you can watch 200+ live channels, including those focused on reality TV, vintage TV, and sports. Plus, you can enjoy thousands of free on-demand movies and TV shows of incredible quality. I was impressed with its variety of content, including classic titles from Samuel Goldwyn Films. XUMO Play is available in the US, Canada, France, Germany, Brazil, and Mexico.
It’s also compatible with a range of devices, so you can watch on your laptop, tablet, or smartphone. Plus, you don’t need to sign up to stream.
I found the website to be a little cumbersome to navigate. For instance, it doesn’t offer a search bar to allow you to search your preferred title easily. However, you can search by genre.
4. Plex — A Free Legal Streaming App That Includes Live Channels
If you're willing to sit through some ads, you can enjoy free Live TV and popular shows on almost any device. Categories range from action, sports, kids' content, cooking shows, news, and more. I streamed the Jerry Springer show without issues while on the road, and I didn't even have to sign up or provide credit card details.
To unlock premium features, you require a paid subscription. You'll get offline access and DVR (which may require additional hardware). However, you can still enjoy plenty of shows and movies with the free version.
5. Freevee (IMDd TV) — Stream for Free on Your Favorite Devices
Amazon Freevee lets you stream from your phone, tablet, computer, smart TV, and most other streaming devices. It was launched in 2019 as IMDb TV but rebranded to Freevee in 2022. It provides on-demand movies and TV shows, as well as a collection of original content.
You don’t need to provide any information to watch its content. However, if you sign up, you can customize your experience by tagging favorites, rating shows, as well as tracking your watch progress. It also allows you to receive recommendations for new titles based on your streaming history. Sadly, Freevee doesn’t offer live TV. Instead, the “live” channels are repeats of popular daytime TV shows like Unsolved Mysteries and Leverage.
6. Vumoo — Stream or Download a Huge Library of Movies and Television Shows
Vumoo houses thousands of movies and TV shows that you can stream and/or download, both classics and newly released hits. You just need to go to the site, search for the title you want, and start streaming. It also has a clutter-free homepage with a clear search bar, but you can also browse by scrolling down through covers. I also like that you don’t need to register to start watching.
This is an unofficial video entertainment platform that gained popularity as a replacement for shut-down streaming services. That said, it's important to exercise caution when using Vumoo, as it may contain copyrighted videos. Plus, it’s heavily ad-supported, so some links on the site may contain viruses.
7. Crackle — Enjoy Original Content Exclusive to the Platform
Crackle is a US-only free streaming platform that’s owned by Sony, so you can only watch it if you’re in the country. There are hundreds of titles, including classics and original shows in every genre. The website is also well organized, making it easy to find content by title, actor, or genre. It isn’t necessary to sign up for the service to watch videos, but doing so allows you to create and organize your watch lists.
8. Popcornflix — Offers a Unique Selection of Movies and TV Shows for Free
Popcornflix, a Chicken Soup for the Soul Entertainment subsidiary, is a free and legal streaming site. It offers movies and TV shows from a wide range of genres. While you probably won’t find many new releases, the catalog includes classic movies, big TV hits of the past, documentaries, and some B-movie cult favorites. No sign-up is required, but you'll encounter ads on Popcornflix.
Popcornflix is available in the US and some other countries, so make sure to check if it’s available where you are to see if you are allowed to watch its content.
Other Popular Free Streaming Sites
9. AZMovies — An Intuitive Interface Makes It Easy to Navigate
AZMovies is a sleek and easy-to-use free streaming platform that offers a wide variety of movies. When you open the site, you'll see a list of featured movies and all the recently added titles. You can also search by genre or year or use the search bar. Just bear in mind that a lot of these titles are likely copyrighted and therefore protected by copyright law, meaning it’s illegal to watch them on this platform.
You can find many binge-worthy titles, including some classics. However, it doesn’t offer TV shows or live channels.
As with most free streaming platforms, AZMovies has a lot of pop-up ads, which can be annoying and potentially harmful, so proceed with caution. As mentioned in the note above, it’s unclear whether this site offers copyright-free content, so unless you find any title from the public domain, we recommend avoiding this one.
10. Flixtor — Watch a Massive Library Without Needing to Register
Flixtor has over 30,000 movies and TV shows that you can stream right away without having to sign up. The platform is optimized for both mobile and desktop streaming, ensuring uninterrupted viewing on all major devices. The site also gives you the option to stream directly or to download movies and TV shows so you can watch them later.
Bear in mind that it's restricted and/or illegal in some countries because it doesn’t have distribution rights for all movies. To stay on the safe side, make sure you only use Flixtor to watch movies that are in the public domain.
Why You Need a VPN When Using Free Streaming Sites
The majority of free streaming services make their revenue through ads. Without proper protection, these sites can expose you to various online threats, such as tracking, information and/or identity theft, malware, etc.
A VPN keeps you safe when using free streaming sites. It sends your traffic through its private server network, encrypting and anonymizing your data, making it almost impossible for anyone to see who you are and what you’re doing online.
Are free streaming sites legal?
It depends. A free streaming service can be illegal if it distributes copyrighted material without proper licensing. If the site contains only content with free streaming permission or has permission to share, then it's legal.
Although it’s typically not illegal to browse such sites, it’s against the law to use copyrighted content. Using an online service to stream copyrighted movies and TV shows may expose you to legal risks, including fines or even imprisonment, depending on the laws in your country.
Best VPNs to Use With Free Streaming Sites — Full Analysis (Updated 2024)
Tested February 2024 Try Risk-Free for 30 Days
|Watch movies in UHD with an average speed drop of only 5% on nearby servers
|3,000 servers in 105 countries, so you’re bound to find a local server in countries where free streaming services are available
|Fastest of all the VPNs I tested for uninterrupted live-streaming
|Windows, Mac, iOS, Android, smart TVs, Linux, routers, gaming consoles, and more
ExpressVPN's Lightway protocol offers faster and more reliable connections, making it an excellent choice for streaming. Using efficient encryption methods enhances data transfer rates while providing optimum security. While in the US, I connected to servers in Los Angeles, and my speed was stable at 110 Mbps — this is impressive since you only need 5 Mbps to stream in HD. It's also my go-to for streaming on mobile since the CPU doesn't have to work so hard, conserving battery life.
Its world-class security features protect you from all the dangers of free streaming sites, like hackers and malware. It uses military-grade (AES 256-bit) encryption and DNS/IPv6 leak protection to ensure your online activity stays private. I detected no leaks on ipleak.net while trying a US server from Washington. On top of that, its Network Lock kill switch automatically cuts your internet connection should the VPN stop working, like when your laptop goes into sleep mode.
The only drawback is that it’s more expensive than the other VPNs on this list — prices start at $6.67/month. However, ExpressVPN often offers great deals and discounts. I paid 49% less on my yearly subscription and got 3 months of free service.
Plus, all of its plans come with a 30-day money-back guarantee, so you can try all its features without risk. To check its legitimacy, I contacted the 24/7 live chat support and asked for a refund. I received my money back in my PayPal account within 4 working days.
- Smart DNS. ExpressVPN's MediaStreamer service allows you to stream on devices that don't typically support VPNs, like older smart TVs and gaming consoles.
- Threat Manager. This feature protects you from online threats by identifying and blocking known malicious websites, phishing scams, and other security risks in real time.
- Data privacy. ExpressVPN is outside the intelligence sharing agreement of the 5/9/14-Eyes Alliances in the British Virgin Islands. It also follows a no-logs policy and uses TrustedServer Tech — RAM-only servers to wipe your data with every reboot. So, you don't have to worry about your online activity getting traced back to you.
- Router app. You can configure the VPN on your router and stream movies and TV shows on all your household devices using ExpressVPN's custom router app. However, even without connecting to a router, you can simultaneously use ExpressVPN on up to 8 devices.
- Easy to use. ExpressVPN takes less than 5 minutes to set up, and you can easily find and connect to a server using its search bar.
|Quick and easy to use CyberGhost for streaming, even if you're a beginner
|11,683 servers in 100 countries, including ones optimized for streaming
|A 7% speed drop on nearby US servers
|Windows, Mac, iOS, Android, smart TVs, Linux, routers, gaming consoles, and more
CyberGhost is straightforward to set up and works similarly across various operating systems. Once you download and log in, just select a server and hit the big power button. You can choose a server by scrolling through the location list or typing your location into the search bar. During my tests from Washington, it took me less than 5 minutes to set up CyberGhost on my Windows laptop and connect to a server in New York.
An audited no-logs policy ensures the privacy of your streaming activity, as it prevents the collection or sharing of your information. Similar to ExpressVPN, CyberGhost employs RAM-only servers for additional security. Furthermore, it features an integrated ad-blocker for Windows and Android, allowing you to stream without any disruptive ads or pop-ups.
On the downside, CyberGhost short-term subscriptions are pricey. However, long-term plans are affordable ($2.03/month) and have an extended money-back guarantee. You can also get up to 84% off your subscription with its current offers.
You can use CyberGhost free for 45 days and get a full refund if you're not 100% happy. I requested a refund through 24/7 live support, which was approved when I provided a reason for canceling. I got money back into my bank account after 5 business days.
- Robust security. AES 256-bit encryption, a kill switch, and leak protection keep you anonymous online.
- Router compatibility. You can install CyberGhost on your router and stream on smart TVs and gaming consoles.
- Unlimited bandwidth. You can stream for free as much as you like without cap limits. CyberGhost can also help you avoid the throttling imposed you your ISP provider.
- Split tunneling. This feature lets you choose which apps or websites to exclude from the VPN tunnel. So, you can use your regular internet connection to get local search results on Google while using the VPN to protect your streaming connection.
3. Private Internet Access (PIA) — Servers in All 50 States to Watch Free US Streaming Sites in HD
|Thousands of servers worldwide with 53 US locations
|29,650 servers in 91 countries, including tons of options in licensed locations for speedy local connections
|My average download speed was reduced by only 14%
|Windows, Mac, iOS, Android, smart TVs, Linux, routers, gaming consoles, and more
PIA has the largest network of US servers, covering all 50 states. This gives you plenty of local options for watching platforms such as Tubi TV and Popcornflix, no matter where you are in the US. Many server options also ensure you can watch content without dealing with buffering caused by server overcrowding. During my tests from Washington, I was able to watch Willy’s Wonderland on Tubi in the highest available quality with no lag.
PIA's AES 256-bit encryption, paired with the WireGuard protocol, offers a perfect balance of security and speed. Depending on your needs, you can also choose OpenVPN and switch between 256-bit and 128-bit. Its automatic kill switch also keeps you safe when changing between servers.
I was concerned that PIA is based in the US, within the 5 Eyes Alliance. But its strict no-logs policy ensures that none of your data gets shared with third parties.
You can save money with PIA’s long-term plans at only $2.03/month. Subscriptions are backed by a 30-day money-back guarantee, so you can test PIA risk-free. I asked for a refund via their 24/7 chat support and got my credit card reimbursed that same week.
- IP/DNS leak protection. Your data won't be exposed while using your free streaming accounts, protecting you from hackers and snoops.
- Ad and malware blocker. PIA's built-in MACE feature stops intrusive ads, malware, and trackers often lurking on free streaming sites.
- Unlimited simultaneous connections. You can share your subscription with your whole household and only pay for one account.
Quick Guide: How to Stream Movies and TV Shows for Free With a VPN in 3 Easy Steps
- Download a VPN. My favorite is ExpressVPN because of its fast speeds and worldwide servers, so you get plenty of local servers to choose from.
- If you’re in a licensed country, connect to a nearby server. The closer the server is to you, the faster your speeds will be.
- Start streaming. Head to your chosen free streaming platform that’s available in your country and start watching your favorite shows and movies.
Best Free Premium Streaming Sites
If you're concerned about safely streaming movies and TV shows, you'll be happy to know that several of the world's leading TV networks and studios now offer their own excellent free premium streaming channels. These let you watch new episodes of TV shows immediately after they've aired, decades of classic TV series, live streaming, and more.
There's a caveat, however. A lot of these services limit viewership to individuals located within their own nations. If you’re outside of the licensed country where a particular platform is available, then you won’t be able to watch it due to licensing and distribution agreements.
- NBC. Home to some of the most popular primetime TV in the States, NBC offers new episodes of its late-night chat shows, classic series, and much more on its free streaming channel.
- ABC Go. As well as popular TV shows, ABC also streams classic movies like The Lion King on its channel.
- Disney Now. Watch a variety of Disney Channel, Disney Junior, and Disney XD TV shows, movies, games, and live TV for kids and families.
- Fox. Watch the biggest channels and shows on the Fox network. You can stream everything from news and commentary to sports and reality TV, all for free.
- BBC iPlayer. The biggest broadcaster in the UK offers almost every show in its archive for free online to UK residents with a TV license.
- ITVX. Some of the best TV the UK has to offer, from reality shows to classic soap operas and everything in between.
- All4. Quirky comedies, insightful documentaries, and groundbreaking dramas from both sides of the Atlantic.
- CBC Gem. A curated library of the best TV and movies from Canada and across the world. CBC Gem lets you watch the channel's entire library of shows, sports, documentaries, and movies.
- SBS on demand. Home to some of the greatest prestige TV and sporting events from around the world.
- ABC iView. iView lets you watch every show broadcast across the network's channels, both Australian and international. News, arts, comedy, kids shows, and more ensure the whole family is entertained for free.
FAQs on Using a VPN for Free Streaming Sites
Is 123Movies legal and safe to use?
No. 123movies distributes copyrighted content without proper licensing, making it potentially unsafe and illegal to use. Even when streaming movies and shows on legal platforms, like Popcornflix, a VPN is recommended to keep you safe from hackers and data leaks.
Are there any free VPNs that work with free streaming websites?
Probably yes, but I wouldn’t advise using them as they tend to restrict servers and speeds, which could result in buffering. A premium VPN with a money-back guarantee is a more reliable option since it offers a global network of servers, unlimited bandwidth, and high-level security features.
Free VPNs don’t have the proper security features to protect your online privacy. Some have even been caught harvesting and selling user data to third parties in exchange for a fee.
Is it illegal to use VPNs to watch free streaming platforms?
It’s complicated. Using a VPN to protect your data while you stream from legitimate services in licensed regions is legal. However, using a VPN to watch content from an unlicensed region or service might go against a streaming provider's Terms of Service, and it may even be considered copyright infringement. The team and I don’t condone this.
Also, some countries (like China and Turkey) ban the use of VPNs. Ensure you familiarize yourself with the laws and rules of your region to ensure you don't accidentally break them.
Where can I watch free movies without signing up?
There are a few free streaming sites that don't require signing up. You can watch free movies and TV shows on platforms like Tubi TV, Flixtor, XUMO Play, and Plex. These services have a wide selection of movies and TV shows. However, to turn a profit, they're usually ad-supported.
Which free streaming websites should I avoid?
Some of the most well-known illegal streaming sites to avoid are 123Movies, Putlocker, and Popcorn Time. It's generally more convenient and safer to use legal streaming services with the appropriate licenses, high-quality video, and a wide selection of content.
Get the Best VPN for Free Streaming Sites
Streaming movies and TV shows online for free is never 100% safe. Even the most reputable services aren't immune to hacking attempts. To protect yourself while watching movies from free streaming websites, you need a reliable VPN.
ExpressVPN is my top pick to keep you safe online. It has impressive speeds, robust security features, and a vast server network. Plus, it comes with a 30-day money-back guarantee, so you can try ExpressVPN risk-free.
To summarize, these are the best VPNs for free streaming sites…
Your data is exposed to the websites you visit!
Your IP Address:
Your Internet Provider:
The information above can be used to track you, target you for ads, and monitor what you do online.
VPNs can help you hide this information from websites so that you are protected at all times. We recommend ExpressVPN — the #1 VPN out of over 350 providers we've tested. It has military-grade encryption and privacy features that will ensure your digital security, plus — it's currently offering 49% off.