Best 100% FREE VPNs For Kodi | Updated September 2021
- Short on Time? Here Are the Best Free VPNs for Kodi:
- What Are the Disadvantages of Free VPNs?
- The Top 10 Free VPNs for Kodi
- ExpressVPN — High Speeds to Watch Your Favorite Kodi Add-Ons
- CyberGhost — 24-Hour Free Trial
- Windscribe — Free Data to Watch Your Favorite Kodi Shows
- Speedify — No Account Required for Maximum Privacy
- ProtonVPN — Unlimited Free Data for Endless Streaming
- Hotspot Shield — Fast Speeds To Watch Kodi With Zero Buffering
- hide.me — Vast Server Network That Unblocks Kodi, Netflix and More
- IPVanish — Unlimited Bandwidth to Watch Kodi Without Interruptions
- TunnelBear — Free Data to Keep Up With the New Releases
- Private Tunnel — Unlimited Bandwidth to Binge-Watch Your Favorite Shows
- ZenMate — Infinite Data to Load all Your Kodi Addons
Want to access all of Kodi’s geoblocked add-ons without paying for a premium VPN? I can help.
It’s hard to find a safe free VPN. Running a VPN network is expensive, so many free providers cut corners to keep their costs down. Some providers have even been caught selling users’ data to third parties, and because of this, using the wrong VPN can be just as expensive as buying a premium version.
There are some free VPNs that offer premium-level security, though. These safer options are usually free versions of premium VPNs.
But even the safest free VPNs are limited. You may experience low speeds, restricted data, and even ads. With so many premium, low-cost services like ExpressVPN on the market, why limit yourself? It’s backed by a money-back guarantee so you can try it risk-free and claim a refund within 30 days if you’re not happy with the service.
With that in mind, I tested 48 services to find the best free VPNs for Kodi, based on speed, security, and compatibility.
Short on Time? Here Are the Best Free VPNs for Kodi:
- ExpressVPN: Superfast speeds and great security features to access Kodi safely. You can try it risk-free(it’s backed by a money-back guarantee).
- CyberGhost: Vast server network to reliably unblock Kodi, and comes with a 24-hour free trial.
- Windscribe: 10GB of free data per month and premium security features.
- Speedify: 2GB of free data per month. Optimized for P2P connections.
- ProtonVPN: Free account with unlimited data and bandwidth. Optimized for streaming and bypassing geoblocks.
- Hotspot Shield: 500MB free data per day. Easy to use apps and high-speed connections.
- hide.me: 2GB free data per month with high-end security features and 24/7 customer service.
- IPVanish: Unlimited bandwidth and buffer-free streaming. You can test it with a 7-day free trial.
- TunnelBear: 500MB of free data per month. Intuitive interface and the ability to bypass VPN blocks.
- Private Tunnel: Fast servers and live-chat support. You can try it free with a 7-day trial.
- Zenmate: Free version with unlimited data available as a browser extension.
What Are the Disadvantages of Free VPNs?
At best, free VPNs are limited. At worst, they can be dangerous. Let’s look at some of the disadvantages of using a free VPN.
Free VPNs usually only offer apps for laptops and desktop computers. This means you won’t be able to stream on your mobile device, gaming console, or SmartTV.
With so many premium VPNs offering free trials and money-back guarantees, there’s no need to limit yourself. Premium VPNs like ExpressVPN offer apps for most devices. They also allow simultaneous connections, so you can protect all your devices at once.
Building and maintaining a VPN network is expensive. Most free VPNs cut corners to save money. Kill-switches and military-grade encryption aren’t standard features like they are with premium VPNs.
Some free VPN services have been caught installing spyware and malware on users’ devices. This allows them to spy on your activity and sell your personal information to third parties for profit.
Most free VPNs limit bandwidth, data, and speeds. They also limit the number of servers you can access for free.
These limitations prevent you from accessing popular services like Netflix. If Netflix blocks the server you’re using, there may not be another server in the area you can use to bypass the block. With limited data and speeds, you may not be able to stream at all.
Premium VPNs offer unlimited data and bandwidth on large server networks. They also have the resources to regularly upgrade their servers and avoid VPN blocks.
The Top 10 Free VPNs for Kodi
I’ve compiled a list of the best free VPNs for Kodi. During my tests, I focused on speed, security, and features. The free VPNs on my list are reliable and safe to use.
- High-level encryption and Trusted-Server technology for optimal security
- Superfast speeds to watch movies with zero interruptions
- 3,000 servers to unblock Kodi’s geoblocked add-ons from anywhere
- MediaStreamer to watch from any device you choose
- 5 simultaneous device connections
- 30-day money-back guarantee
- Can unblock: Netflix, Disney+, HBO Max, Hulu, BBC iPlayer, Vudu, and more
- Compatible with: Windows, Mac, iOS, Android, Linux, routers, Apple TV, and more
ExpressVPN is a premium VPN but it’s backed by a money-back guarantee so you can buy it with confidence and claim a refund if you don’t like it. It’s popular with Kodi users because of its fast speeds and extensive server network. I tested 15 of its locations and safely accessed content on Kodi.
I was blown away by ExpressVPN’s speeds and unlimited bandwidth. During my tests, I found that I consistently recorded over 55 Mbps. You only need 5 Mbps to watch in HD quality, so this is way more than you need to relax and enjoy with no buffering or lag.
Stream on up to 5 devices at the same time, including iOS, Android, Mac, Windows, Apple TV, and more. With military-grade security features such as 256-bit AES encryption and an automatic kill switch if your connection drops, you can be sure your tech will remain secure.
- 7,300 servers to unblock Kodi
- Impressive speeds to stream your favorite shows in HD
- 24-hour free trial to test all its features risk-free
With CyberGhost, you cantest it out with a 24-hour free trial — plenty of time to try all its features. On top of that, it’s backed by a 45-day money-back guarantee, so you can try it risk-free.
Its vast server network makes it easy to access Kodi and more. I had no problem bypassing geoblocks and watching Netflix and Hulu. Multiple servers in ample worldwide locations mean you’ll always find a reliable server to unblock your favorite media.
CyberGhost delivers consistent high speeds for flawless streaming. I had an average above 30 Mbps, which is more than enough even for 4k. The 10 servers I tested, from the US to Australia, all achieved decent speeds regardless of distance. You’ll be able to watch everything Kodi has to offer buffer-free.
You get up to 7 simultaneous connections, letting you use the VPN on all your devices at the same time. I connected my laptop, smartphone, and tablet, letting me seamlessly switch streaming between them without having to log out.
Military-grade encryption keeps your connection secure. I didn’t detect any leaks or privacy breaches the whole time I was connected to CyberGhost. AES 256-bit is used to scramble all your data, keeping you safe from online threats and prying eyes.
Find out more about CyberGhost in this detailed review.
- Kodi, Netflix, Disney+, HBO Max, Hulu, BBC iPlayer, Vudu, and more
- Windows, Mac, iOS, Android, Linux, routers, Apple TV, and more
- 10GB free data per month.
- 256-bit encryption and a strict no-logs policy.
- Ad, malware, and tracker blocker.
Windscribe offers 10GB free data per month. This is enough for three hours of HD streaming, and to check your email or upload some photos to Facebook. It uses 256-bit encryption and keeps a strict no-logs policy. There is a split tunneling feature, and a built-in ad, tracker, and malware blocker. I was able to unblock most popular Kodi add-ons with Windscribe, but the free version can’t unblock Netflix or Hulu. Upgrading to its low-cost premium server gives you access to its Netflix-optimized servers, as well as unlimited data. You can read the results of Windscribe’s full performance test in our review.
- Kodi and YouTube.
- Yes. P2P specialty servers available.
- Mac, Windows, iOS, Linux, Chrome, Firefox.
- 2GB of free data each month, no account required.
- P2P-friendly servers.
- Easy-to-use apps.
Speedify is well-designed and easy-to-use, even if you’re completely new to VPNs. It uses 128 GCM encryption. This is below the industry standard, but still secure. Speedify doesn’t log your data, either.
While it doesn’t log IP addresses, sites, or data, Speedify does collect some information like contact details and time and length of connections.
Speedify offers channel bonding to increase your connection speed. During my tests, I noticed that channel bonding used extra data, and my connection was still slow. I recommend you switch channel bonding off and stick with Speedify’s regular servers.
Speedify can unblock Netflix, Hulu, and popular Kodi add-ons. The free plan offers 2GB of free data, which is enough to stream in high definition for 90 minutes. Upgrading to its premium plan gives you higher speeds and unlimited data. There is a 30-day money-back guarantee so you can try premium before you commit.
You can find more information about Speedify, including user comments, in our review.
- Netflix, Hulu, YouTube, and Kodi.
- Yes. P2P friendly servers available.
- Android, iOS, Mac, Linux, and Windows.
- Servers in the US, Japan, and the Netherlands.
- Unlimited free data.
- Military-grade security.
ProtonVPN has everything you need in a VPN for Kodi. It offers 256-bit encryption, an automatic kill switch, and DNS leak protection. It uses the IKEv2/IPSec and OpenVPN protocols.
ProtonVPN can unblock Netflix, Spotify, and most geoblocked Kodi add-ons.
The free version offers unlimited data and bandwidth on servers in three locations. My connection speed was limited, but still fast enough to stream with some buffering. Upgrading grants you unlimited speed and access to servers in over 50 countries.
You can read our review to learn more about ProtonVPN’s features.
- YouTube, Kodi, Spotify, and Netflix.
- Yes, but only with its premium accounts.
- Android, Windows, Mac, iOS
- Military-grade encryption.
- High speeds.
- 500MB free data per day.
Hotspot Shield’s ad-supported free account offers 500MB of data per day. This is enough to stream in standard definition for about 30 minutes. It uses premium security features, including 256-bit encryption, a kill switch, and malware protection. The apps are easy to install and use.
I was able to unblock most popular Kodi add-ons during my test.
Upgrading will remove the ads and give you unlimited data and bandwidth. You can test the premium version with a 7-day free trial and 45-day money-back guarantee.
Check our Hotspot Shield review to see how it performed in our speed and performance tests.
- YouTube, Kodi, and Netflix.
- Windows, Mac, Android, iOS, Chrome, and Firefox.
- 24/7 customer support.
- Bypass geo-restrictions and VPN blocks.
- 2GB free data per month.
hide.me’s free plan includes unlimited speeds, bandwidth, and 2GB of data per month. It can unblock Netflix, HBO, BBC iPlayer, and most popular Kodi add-ons. However, it is limited to servers in the US, Singapore, Canada, and the Netherlands.
It uses 256-bit encryption, and keeps a strict no-logs policy. Upgrading gets you unlimited data on servers in 57 locations worldwide. hide.me offers a 14-day money-back guarantee on all its premium plans so you can test it out before committing.
Our detailed hide.me review includes honest opinions from other users.
- SlingTV, HBO, BBC iPlayer, Amazon Prime, YouTube, Showtime, Kodi, and Spotify.
- Windows, Mac, Android, iOS, Amazon Fire TV, Chrome,Firefox, and PlayStation.
- 7-day money-back guarantee.
- User-friendly apps.
- Unlimited bandwidth and server switching.
IPVanish is another premium VPN that you can try risk-free with a 7-day money-back guarantee. It uses military-grade encryption and doesn’t log your data. IPVanish operates 1,900 servers in 70 countries, and can unblock most Kodi add-ons.
It offers up to Unlimited simultaneous connections and user-friendly apps for all major platforms.
You can learn more about IPVanish by reading our detailed review.
- YouTube, Netflix, Kodi, Sky, and Hulu, Firestick, Facebook, Twitter, and more.
- Yes. P2P friendly servers available.
- Windows, Mac, iOS, Android, FireTV, Linux, Chrome, and some routers.
- 500MB free data per month.
- Bypass censorship and deep packet inspection.
- Optional ad blocker.
TunnelBear’s free plan offers 500 MB of data per month. If you tweet about its service, it will give you a bonus 1GB per month. This is enough to stream for about an hour in standard definition.
It uses AES 256-bit encryption and keeps a strict no-logs policy. There is an optional, standalone ad blocker, but you will need to install this separately.
Its GhostBear mode can bypass censorship and most VPN blocks. It can unblock Kodi add-ons, but not Netflix.
Upgrading to premium grants you unlimited data and five simultaneous connections. It does not offer a money-back guarantee.
Read our TunnelBear review for an in-depth look at its features.
- Hulu, YouTube, and Kodi.
- Yes. P2P friendly servers available.
- iOS, Android, Mack, Chrome, Firefox, and Windows PC.
- 7-day free trial.
- Unlimited bandwidth and data.
- Servers in 22 countries.
Private Tunnel is a premium service that offers a 7-day free trial with unlimited data.
It operates high-speed servers in 12 countries. Private Tunnel uses 128-bit AES encryption and OpenVPN. I was able to unblock Kodi add-ons using Private Tunnel, but I couldn’t access Netflix.
Private Tunnel offers 24/7 support via live chat. It allows up to 3 simultaneous connections per account. There is no money-back guarantee, but its 7-day trial offers enough time to test it out.
Check out our review for the pros and cons of using Private Tunnel.
- Kodi and YouTube.
- Windows, Mac, Android, iOS, Amazon Prime, and Linux.
- Unlimited free data
- Try premium free for 7 days
ZenMate’s free account offers unlimited data and premium security features. Its speed is limited to 2Mbps, which is fast enough to stream in standard definition.
It uses military-grade encryption and keeps a strict no-logs policy. The Windows app features a kill switch and DNS leak protection. Its NAT Firewall blocks cyber attacks and hackers.
Upgrading to grants you unlimited speeds and up to Unlimited simultaneous connections. You can try premium with a 7-day free trial and a 30-day money-back guarantee.
We put ZenMate through its paces in our thorough review.
- Netflix, HBO GO, Kodi, Amazon Prime Video, and BBC iPlayer.
- Yes. P2P and torrenting support.
- Chrome, Firefox, Android, iOS, Windows, Mac, Linux, and PlayStation.
Are VPNs Legal?
Yes. VPNs are legal to use in about 95.9% of the world. There are a few areas where VPN use is restricted or illegal, including China, Russia, Iraq, and Iran.
If you’re visiting one of these countries, you don’t need to worry. There haven’t been any issues with international tourists using VPNs.
If Free VPNs Work, Why Should I Pay for One?
Free VPNs offer limited features and security. Using an unsafe VPN puts your personal information at risk.
Even if the service you use is safe, most free VPNs limit your bandwidth, speeds, and data. This means you won’t be able to stream, watch YouTube, make video calls, or send large files.
I recommend ExpressVPN because of its unlimited data, high speeds, and advanced security features. You can try it risk-free (it’s backed by a 30-day money-back guarantee).
Will a VPN for Kodi Work with Other Services?
Maybe. Unlike Kodi, most popular streaming services use VPN blocks to stop you watching content from outside your region. To access content safely, you need a high-quality VPN that regularly updates its servers to avoid detection.
Most free VPNs present security risks and limitations that stop them from working with Kodi. I tested 48 services to find the safest free VPNs for Kodi. I gave preference to services that include premium features like DNS leak protection.
Most safe, free VPNs like the ones on my list limit your data and connection speeds. Because of this, I recommend trying a low-cost premium service like ExpressVPN. You can try it risk-free and claim a refund within 30 days if you don’t find it useful.
If you’re looking for more ways to save money and still get premium services, check out our VPN coupons.
Read our in-depth review to find out more about the best premium VPNs services for 2021.
The Best Premium VPNs for Kodi in 2021 are…
Your data is exposed to the websites you visit!
Your IP Address:
Your Internet Provider:
The information above can be used to track you, target you for ads, and monitor what you do online.
VPNs can help you hide this information from websites so that you are protected at all times. We recommend ExpressVPN — the #1 VPN out of over 350 providers we've tested. It has military-grade encryption and privacy features that will ensure your digital security, plus — it's currently offering 49% off.