How to Watch Croatian TV Online Safely — 2024 Guide
- Quick Guide: How to Watch Croatian TV With a VPN in 3 Easy Steps
- Best VPNs to Watch Croatian TV Online in 2024
- ExpressVPN — Fastest Speeds for Watching Croatian TV Without Buffering
- CyberGhost — Easy-to-Use Apps Let You Stream Croatian TV Online Effortlessly
- Private Internet Access (PIA) — Stream Croatian TV on an Unlimited Number of Devices
- Where Can I Watch Croatian TV Online?
- How to Watch Croatian TV on Any Device Safely With a VPN
- FAQs on Watching Croatian TV Online With a VPN
- Watch Croatian TV in Minutes
Croatian TV channels like Sportska Televizija, HRT, and RTL offer great content. However, due to copyright limitations, you can't stream some Croatian TV channels from outside the country. They check your IP address to determine your location, and you won’t be able to watch their content from abroad.
A VPN also can theoretically change your IP address to make it seem like you're in Croatia, which could hypothetically let you stream these channels from anywhere. But remember that this practice goes against most channels’ Terms of Service and can lead to copyright infringement. The team and I don’t condone this.
If you’re already in Croatia and just want to encrypt your connection to avoid ISP throttling, ExpressVPN is the best option for streaming Croatian TV in HD. It offers fast speeds and military-level security features to protect your data while you stream local channels online. Plus, it offers a 30-day money-back guarantee, so you can try it out without any risk.
Quick Guide: How to Watch Croatian TV With a VPN in 3 Easy Steps
- Get a VPN. I recommend ExpressVPN because of its fast speeds and powerful security features that let you safely watch Croatian TV in HD.
- Connect to a nearby Croatian server. Choose a server close to your location in Croatia to ensure the best speeds for streaming.
- Start browsing. Log in to your favorite Croatian channels (like HRT and Sportska TV) and begin streaming your favorite shows.
Best VPNs to Watch Croatian TV Online in 2024
Tested February 2024 Try Risk-Free for 30 Days
|The fastest VPN I tested for watching Croatian TV in HD
|3,000 servers in 105 countries, including Croatia
|An average of a 7% speed drop on nearby servers
|macOS, Windows, Android, iOS, Linux, Roku, smart TVs, Fire Stick, Apple TV, and more
ExpressVPN's fast speeds are ideal for enjoying Croatian TV in HD. After our team in Croatia tested its Croatian server location at different times of the day, the speed drops came to an average of only 7%. They were able to watch Sportska Televizija live for several hours without any buffering.
ExpressVPN also works on most of the popular devices, so you can enjoy Croatian TV the way you like from the comfort of your own home in Croatia. It can also be set up on your router, which allows you to use it on devices that don't directly support VPN apps (like some older smart TVs). Our team of testers in Croatia configured it on a router, and they were able to stream Croatian shows on an LG Smart TV without issues.
For how advanced ExpressVPN’s features are, it’s still super easy to use. Most of its features work automatically in the background, like obfuscation, which kicks in to help you overcome tough firewalls. For instance, this allows you to safely watch Croatian TV from a Croatian cafe that limits data-intensive activities like streaming.
The only drawback is that it’s pricy, starting at $6.67/month. However, ExpressVPN frequently offers discounts on its site to help you save some money. Plus, all plans come with a 30-day money-back guarantee, so you can try out ExpressVPN without risk. I tested this claim by requesting my money back using the 24/7 live chat feature and got my money back in 2 days.
- Split tunneling. This allows you to route some traffic through the VPN while the rest uses your regular unencrypted internet connection. It lets you free up some bandwidth so you can get even better speeds for streaming Croatian TV in HD.
- Shortcuts. ExpressVPN has a handy Shortcuts feature that allows you to add your favorite Croatian websites to the VPN’s main screen. This way, you can secure your connection and start streaming from Croatia with just a click.
- Simultaneous connections. You can connect up to 8 devices simultaneously, meaning you can share the VPN subscription with other members of your household, making ExpressVPN a great value for money.
|Intuitive user interface is simple to navigate, even for beginners
|11,683 servers in 100 countries, including multiple servers in Croatia
|An average of an 8% speed drop on nearby servers
|macOS, Windows, Android, iOS, Linux, Roku, smart TVs, streaming devices, and more
CyberGhost’s apps are easy to navigate, so you can watch Croatian TV in Croatia without hassle. I also like that apps across devices look practically the same, so you won’t have trouble using the VPN on any of your devices. Our team of testers in Croatia installed it on a Windows computer and connected to a Croatian server in less than 5 minutes.
It also has 50+ servers in Croatia. Having dozens of nearby servers to choose from reduces the chances of overcrowding, which could cause noticeable slowdowns. This also makes it easier to find one close to your location in Croatia for optimum speeds. Our team in the country could connect to a server with a few clicks and watch content on sites like RTL Kockica and RTL Televizija in seconds.
CyberGhost’s Smart rules feature lets you create personalized connection settings. For instance, you can set it to connect to a Croatian server whenever you launch the Netflix app from Croatia. You can even set triggers for it to launch when you connect to a new Wi-Fi network, open a particular website, and more.
The only downside is that its short-term plans are pretty pricey and come with only a 14-day money-back guarantee. But CyberGhost’s long-term plans are affordable starting at $2.03/month and offer a generous 45-day money-back guarantee.
- Wi-Fi protection. This feature protects your connection against potential risks when streaming Croatian TV on public Wi-Fi in Croatia. This will help you stay safe while you enjoy shows at cafes or airports.
- 24/7 customer support. You’ll get quick assistance if you face issues watching Croatian TV from Croatia with the VPN.
|Unlimited simultaneous connections to cover your whole household
|29,650 servers in 91 countries, including Croatia
|An average of a 7% speed drop on nearby servers
|macOS, Windows, Android, iOS, browsers, Roku, smart TVs, streaming devices, and more
PIA lets you connect an unlimited number of devices at once. Our team in Croatia tested it by connecting a Windows laptop, 2 smartphones, and an Android TV. They didn’t notice any difference in performance. This makes it a great option if you have several members in your household who wish to use the VPN — you can share without getting interrupted from watching Croatian TV.
I also appreciate that it has adjustable encryption, which is useful for achieving better speeds. PIA offers both 256-bit and 128-bit encryption options — the lower level is slightly less secure but is ideal for not-so-serious activities like streaming. Lowering encryption helps minimize speed loss, making it perfect for enjoying Croatian TV without buffering.
My only worry is that PIA’s customization options may seem complicated for beginners. However, the apps come pre-configured, so you don’t need to change anything if you don’t want to. Simply select “Croatia” from the list of servers and click on the power button.
All PIA plans come with a 30-day money-back guarantee, so you can try it for free. To test the refund policy, I requested a refund through the 24/7 chat support and got my money back in my PayPal account 5 days later.
- MACE. This feature keeps away unwanted pop-up ads, trackers, and malware, making your Croatian TV streaming experience smoother and more enjoyable. But it won't remove the ads that are already part of the show or movie you're viewing — only the pop-ups and banners.
- Quick Connect. PIA offers a widget on its Windows app that shows you the last 6 server locations you’ve used. This makes it quick and easy to continue where you left off.
Where Can I Watch Croatian TV Online?
Most Croatian TV is only licensed to stream in Croatia. If you try to watch Croatian TV channels outside of Croatia, they’ll block you by detecting your location through your IP address. Streaming services like Sportska Televizija will present an error message like this:
“Nalazite se izvan granica RH ili imamo tehničkih poteškoća”
If you’re in the US and want to watch some Croatian content, you might find some on US streaming platforms like Sling TV and KrowdTV. However, the choice is quite limited.
How to Watch Croatian TV on Any Device Safely With a VPN
You can safely watch Croatian channels such as Nova TV and HRT from Croatia by downloading a VPN to your device or configuring it on your router. I recommend using ExpressVPN because it’s fast, has military-level security features, and is compatible with tons of devices.
Please note that the guides below are intended to show you how to watch Croatian TV from within Croatia while protecting your connection with a VPN. Even though a VPN can hypothetically let you watch Croatian TV from anywhere, such action goes against most Croatian TV platforms’ T&Cs and could even constitute copyright infringement. The team and I don’t condone using a VPN for any illicit activity.
On Mobile (iOS/Android), PC, macOS, and Fire Stick
This method works for these devices and others that natively support VPNs, like Fire Stick and Android TVs.
- Sign up for a VPN. Go to the VPN’s official website, choose a plan, and follow the prompts to sign up.
- Download the VPN. Once you’ve signed up, you can download the VPN app for your device either from the VPN’s website or your device's official app store.
- Install the VPN. Follow your device’s prompts for installation. For Linux: if you can’t install the VPN directly with the GUI, you can manually do so using the command line (most VPNs provide instructions for specific devices on their website).
- Connect to a nearby Croatian server. After installing the app, open it and select a Croatian server — if there’s more than one location, choose the one closest to your location in Croatia for the best speeds.
- Start watching Croatian TV. Open your favorite streaming platforms, like Doma TV, and start streaming safely from Croatia.
On Smart TVs and Roku
Many older smart TVs and streaming devices like Roku don't support native VPN apps. So you’ll need to install the VPN on your router. While the setup is a bit more technical, most VPNs have detailed guides on how to do it. All the VPNs on my list are compatible with popular routers and come with setup guides.
- Check your router. Some routers don't work with VPNs, so first, find out your router's brand.
- Sign up for a VPN. Pick one that's compatible with your router. For Asus, Linksys, or Netgear routers, ExpressVPN is a good choice. It has a custom router firmware and a router app that makes connecting easier.
- Configure the VPN on your router. Find the setup guide specific to your VPN and router and follow it. After setup, all devices on that router will be protected by the VPN.
- Connect to a local server. To watch Croatian content from Croatia, you’ll need to use a server that’s within the country. Choose the one nearest to you for the best speeds possible.
- Start watching Croatian TV. You're now set to stream Croatian content from Croatia on any device, including your smart TV and Roku.
FAQs on Watching Croatian TV Online With a VPN
Is it possible to watch Croatian TV for free?
Yes, some Croatian TV channels, like RTL Televizija, Nova TV, and HRT 1, offer free online streams. While these sites are reputable and safe to use, keep in mind that some sites may not be so trustworthy and secure.
I don’t recommend browsing streaming sites that you’re unfamiliar with, but if you accidentally do, you should at least protect your personal data while doing so. The best way to secure your connections in Croatia is with a reliable VPN that offers Croatian servers and robust security features.
The most reliable VPNs for streaming Croatian TV in Croatia require a paid subscription. However, at least you can test them without risk — almost any reputable VPN offers a money-back guarantee.
How do I watch Croatian TV online in the USA, Canada, and Australia?
Most Croatian TV channels are only available to watch within Croatia. Hypothetically, a VPN can help you watch Croatian TV from the USA, Canada, Australia, or anywhere else, but I don’t recommend it. VPNs offer strong privacy features to keep you safe when you go online, so it’s OK to use one while streaming Croatian content — but only if you’re in Croatia and connected to a server in the country.
However, using a VPN to bypass geo-restrictions imposed by Croatian TV channels is not OK. This practice goes against the platforms’ T&Cs and might lead to copyright infringement. The team and I at vpnMentor don’t condone this, so make sure you follow all the streaming rules and laws when using a VPN.
Is it legal to watch Croatian TV channels in the USA with a VPN?
No, it’s not entirely legal to watch Croatian TV in the US with a VPN. Using a VPN to hypothetically bypass geo-restrictions imposed by content providers might breach their terms of service and can be seen as copyright infringement. You’re entirely responsible for how you use a VPN, so ensure you know the terms of any streaming platform you use and the copyright laws.
However, if you have Sling TV in the US, you might find some Croatian channels there that you can watch. If you also want to protect your connection while streaming and avoid ISP throttling in the US, then you need to connect to a US server for Sling TV.
Can I watch Croatian channels through US streaming platforms or IPTV?
Yes, there are a few Croatian channels offered on US platforms. For instance, Sling TV and KlowdTV offer a selection of Croatian content, but the variety is limited. You won’t get as broad of a range of Croatian TV channels as you’ll get from within Croatia.
Is it possible to watch Croatian soccer live abroad?
No — due to broadcasting limitations, you can mostly watch Croatian sports and entertainment channels in Croatia. Technically, you could use a VPN to change your virtual location and hypothetically stream Croatian soccer like you’re there, but this goes against the channels’ Terms of Service and can lead to copyright infringement. So I don't recommend it.
Can I use a free VPN to watch Croatian TV online?
Yes, but I don’t recommend free VPNs, as they’re often unreliable and can even be dangerous. Free VPNs limit server networks to save money, meaning you might not be able to even find one with a Croatian server. A premium VPN with a trustworthy money-back guarantee is a more reliable option for getting fast speeds, unlimited data, and a selection of Croatian servers. That way, you can watch Croatian TV from Croatia safely in HD.
Free VPNs often restrict your bandwidth and streaming speeds, leading to slow, interrupted streams that can spoil your viewing experience. They can also compromise your privacy by logging and selling your data to advertisers or other third parties. There are also instances where free VPNs have been found to contain harmful malware, posing a risk to your device and data.
Watch Croatian TV in Minutes
There is tons of Croatian content available online, and some of it you can even watch for free. The only thing is you need to be in Croatia to stream Croatian TV. Although a VPN can hypothetically let you watch it outside of the country, such action goes against most Croatian TV platforms’ T&Cs. What’s worse it can be seen as copyright infringement, which is a serious violation.
If you’re in Croatia and simply looking to secure your online connections, I recommend ExpressVPN. It has high-speed, reliable servers in Croatia, so you can connect easily and watch shows in the best quality possible. Plus, ExpressVPN comes with a 30-day money-back guarantee, so you can try it out without worrying about losing money.
To summarize, these are the best VPNs for watching Croatian TV…
Your data is exposed to the websites you visit!
Your IP Address:
Your Internet Provider:
The information above can be used to track you, target you for ads, and monitor what you do online.
VPNs can help you hide this information from websites so that you are protected at all times. We recommend ExpressVPN — the #1 VPN out of over 350 providers we've tested. It has military-grade encryption and privacy features that will ensure your digital security, plus — it's currently offering 49% off.