How to Stream IPL Cricket Live FREE from Anywhere in 2020
The Vivo Indian Premier League (IPL) is still relatively new, but it already offers the best Twenty20 cricket on the planet, featuring some of the biggest stars in the game.
The 2019 season will begin on March 23, with the Mumbai Indians and Chennai Super Kings likely to battle it out for a record fourth league win. The matches are short and intense, so the IPL is tailor-made for TV.
Unfortunately, if you’re outside India and the UK, geoblocks can prevent you from accessing the best live streams of IPL matches. The good news is that there is an easy way around those blocks!
With a high-quality VPN, you’ll be able to trick broadcasters into thinking that you’re watching from their home regions. The geo-restrictions will disappear and you’ll be able to watch the Indian Premier League from anywhere in the world.
We’ll show you how it works, and also help you choose a VPN that delivers smooth streaming and sneaks past the VPN blocks used by networks like Sky.
How to Watch the Vivo IPL Live Online: Quick Guides
The two best broadcasters of IPL matches are Hotstar-India and the UK’s Sky network. Follow these guides to try out both live streams.
Streaming the IPL with Hotstar-India
Hotstar* is a premium streaming channel provided by the Star India Network.
- Pick a VPN provider with servers in India. We’ve listed three super-reliable choices below – NordVPN is our top pick.
- Download the VPN app, sign in, and choose an Indian server location.
- Sign up for Hotstar at www.hotstar.com. You’ll need a premium account to access every show, but live and replay coverage of IPL matches is available FREE.
- Tune in and see for yourself how exciting T20 cricket can be!
* For more information on watching Hotstar with a VPN, see our blog archive.
Streaming the IPL on Sky
You’ll probably need a UK TV or UK-based Sky Go* subscription to stream the IPL on Sky. If you have one, this is a great way to see the best T20 cricket matches and plenty of other live sports coverage.
- Pick a premium VPN that can bypass Sky’s geoblocks. (Only a few VPNs do this consistently. NordVPN and the other two options below won’t let you down.)
- Sign up and launch the VPN app. Select a British server location.
- Download and sign in to the Sky Go app with your UK TV or Sky login details.
- Enjoy all the best matches of the IPL!
* To learn more about Sky Go’s VPN blocking and how to get around it, see our guide to watching sports on Sky Go.
Why You Need a VPN to Watch the IPL Online
Services like Hotstar are perfect for watching live cricket for FREE, but if you don’t have an Indian IP address, you’ll be forced to use your region’s local version of the Hotstar website. And that means you’ll be blocked from streaming the IPL.
VPNs work by assigning you a new IP address based on the server location you’ve selected. To watch Hotstar, you just have to connect to a server in India. With a simple click or two, you’ll have the same access as someone watching from Mumbai!
Accessing Sky Sports is even tougher, because Sky aggressively screens for VPNs and will block your access if your VPN is detected. Top VPNs use advanced obfuscation methods to fool the VPN blockers – it’s the digital version of a googly ball.
Best of all, the same VPNs that give you seamless access to Hotstar-India and Sky Go will also unblock a range of other popular services, like US Netflix, Hulu, and the BBC iPlayer.
A solid VPN is also the best tool to protect your online privacy and secure your connection against spying and hacking. Your activity will be hidden from your ISP and any other nosy parties, as all data sent to and from your device is thoroughly encrypted.
Be aware, however, that all VPNs slow down your connection at least a little due to the encryption process. That’s why we only recommend VPNs with high-speed networks for streaming.
The Best VPNs for Watching the IPL Online
Our top-rated VPN has 15 high-speed Indian servers to choose from, along with hundreds in the UK. The SmartPlay mode automatically connects you to the best server to stream the IPL, and many servers are optimized for P2P activities as well.
NordVPN is best-known for rock-solid security, with military-grade encryption and a range of protocols and advanced features. The provider keeps no logs of user data, and apps for all major devices include a kill switch and access to over 5,000 servers worldwide.
A CyberSec feature automatically blocks suspicious websites to protect you from malware, and gets rid of annoying ads, too. NordVPN is a true all-purpose VPN, so it’s no surprise that it’s a big hit with users around the world.
- 30 days
NordVPN can unblock:
- Netflix, HBO, Hulu, Showtime, BBC iPlayer, Amazon Prime Video, and Sling TV.
- Yes, P2P specialty servers available.
NordVPN works on these devices:
- Windows, macOS, Android, iOS, Android TV, Linux, Chrome, and Firefox. It’s also compatible with routers.
ExpressVPN is a powerful service with the best connection speeds on the premium VPN market, making it a top choice for streaming. The 24/7 live chat support might just be the best in the business as well.
And all that speed doesn’t come at the cost of lower security, either. AES-256 encryption and a host of VPN protocols keep your location and activity hidden, and a no-logs policy guarantees your anonymity.
Servers in Chennai and Mumbai are perfect for Hotstar, and a number of UK server locations will get you connected to Sky Go. Choosing the server location you need is easy thanks to ExpressVPN’s intuitive interface.
- 30 days
ExpressVPN can unblock:
- Netflix, Hulu, HBO, Amazon Prime Video, Showtime, Sling TV, DAZN, and BBC iPlayer.
- Yes, all servers support P2P activity.
ExpressVPN works on these devices:
- Windows, macOS, Android, iOS, Android TV, Linux, Chrome, and Firefox. It also offers an app for use with certain routers.
CyberGhost is another high-scoring provider in our user and expert trials, with 20 servers in India and 3,000 more around the world, including key locations in the UK, US, and Australia. With steep discounts on long-term plans, it’s a budget-friendly option as well.
The apps will automatically block trackers, ads, and suspicious websites, and the ultra-simple, visual interface is ideal for VPN beginners. Simply choose the Unblock Streaming mode to connect to IPL broadcasts with a few clicks.
CyberGhost’s 45-day money-back guarantee matches the longest refund period among all premium VPNs. The service has all the features you’d expect from a top provider, such as DNS and IP leak protection, an automatic kill switch, and a strict no-logging policy.
- 30 days on short plans; 45 days on 6-month or longer plans
CyberGhost can unblock:
- Dedicated streaming profile with servers optimized for: Netflix, BBC iPlayer, Sky Go, Hulu, Comedy Central, Eurosport, ESPN, and others.
- Yes; dedicated profile shows countries and number of users.
CyberGhost works on these devices:
- Windows, macOS, Android, iOS, Amazon Fire Stick, Android TV, Linux, and Chrome.
The Vivo Indian Premier League has been action packed since the first match 12 years ago, so no true cricket fan should be without access to live match coverage. With the right VPN, watching from any location worldwide is cheap and simple.
The league has fully recovered from a 2013 spot-fixing scandal, and there’s every reason to believe the new season will be the best we’ve seen so far. And with talk of moving IPL 12 to either South Africa or Dubai, this may be your last chance to see the IPL in its purest form.
If you’re having trouble deciding which VPN is best for you, remember that all the providers we’ve recommended offer money-back guarantees, so you risk nothing by trying them out. We also have a beginner’s guide to choosing your VPN with a lot more helpful tips!